GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys, I recently bought a new F6B, and after riding it a week, I'm disappointed with the suspension. I weigh 290lbs, and I think that's the problem. When I bought this bike, I expected plushy, soft suspension. What I get is a lot of chatter in the forks, and a little less under the seat. When riding down the freeway, it kind of feels like I'm riding on a washboard road intermittently. I feel every road bump harshly through the bars. I searched the forums, and found the ADV issues. I took the bike back to the dealer, and they rode it a couple of times and told me it was normal. Today I bumped the rear pre-load up to 3/4, and I did notice an improvement under the seat, but there's nothing I can do about the front. I also disabled (partially) the ADV with a nickel, and I'm disappointed to say that it didn't make a very noticeable difference. When I took the ADV apart, it looked a lot cleaner than any of the pictures I've seen online, and the top piston moved back up freely with just a little pressure, so I think it's functioning properly. So, I guess I'll need to upgrade my suspension, and I have questions about that.

The only thing I can think of is that my weight puts me too near the bottom of the spring's travel, meaning I'm bottoming out during normal riding. Does that sound likely to you? Do you guys think that the standard weight Progressive Monotubes would help me? I don't want to increase the ride height of the bike at all. In fact, I'd actually like to lower it. I can't flat-foot with the bike on the stock suspension. I've learned to live with that, but I don't want it any higher. I'd be willing to sacrifice a little lean angle, as I don't use all of what I've got right now anyway. I don't really thrash through the corners. I just want a smooth soft ride for long distance comfort.

Are any of you guys in the same boat as me? Do any of you have some good leads for suspension that will give me a soft ride but keep or lower the ride height? I've read that progressive monotubes are an improvement over stock, but will they be an improvement even for my weight?

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Options depend on your budget. I've been told Progressive's monotubes are night and day better than stock, you may call them and pick their brains a bit. I'll find out next Summer as they will be an upgrade for me over the Winter. With a call to Traxxion, they can provide a spring based on your weight and other factors, and for a decent chunk of change, can put together a complete suspension system for your bike (money talks). As to ride height, there's a company called Low Wing that makes a lowering kit. Super simple to install and as near as I can tell, works very well. I installed their 3/4" kit in about 2 hours, just haven't been able to test it more due to weather. Good luck and ride safe.

Reactions: ccjcc81

·
Registered
218 Posts
What year bike? Springs are designed to work in a certain weight range, meaning that you should be 1/3 into your total travel when geared up and seated on your motorcycle. Just change the springs because you are well over the Normal weight range for the stock springs. Stiffer springs are a start in solving your problem. The next issue is the shock/fork damping us set up for the springs that are currently in the bike. More aggressive damping should be done to control the new stiffer springs. Depending on how much you want to spend, you could just replace the springs and give it a try. Approx $100 front, $100 rear plus installation for springs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Options depend on your budget. I've been told Progressive's monotubes are night and day better than stock, you may call them and pick their brains a bit. I'll find out next Summer as they will be an upgrade for me over the Winter. With a call to Traxxion, they can provide a spring based on your weight and other factors, and for a decent chunk of change, can put together a complete suspension system for your bike (money talks). As to ride height, there's a company called Low Wing that makes a lowering kit. Super simple to install and as near as I can tell, works very well. I installed their 3/4" kit in about 2 hours, just haven't been able to test it more due to weather. Good luck and ride safe.
Good info, I'll look into Low Wing. Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bike's a 2016 F6B. Will stiffer springs increase ride height? I don't know anything about damping, are you referring to fork oil? Thanks for the info.

What year bike? Springs are designed to work in a certain weight range, meaning that you should be 1/3 into your total travel when geared up and seated on your motorcycle. Just change the springs because you are well over the Normal weight range for the stock springs. Stiffer springs are a start in solving your problem. The next issue is the shock/fork damping us set up for the springs that are currently in the bike. More aggressive damping should be done to control the new stiffer springs. Depending on how much you want to spend, you could just replace the springs and give it a try. Approx $100 front, $100 rear plus installation for springs.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Stiffer springs will be able to handle more weight before compressing. The stock springs are meant as a compromise, a one.size fits all, so them may be challenged in handling your weight. But springs such as Progressive Suspension fork springs will be able to handle more weight than the stock springs before compressing. Same thing with the rear shock spring. There is a Progressive Suspension shock spring that will take the place of the stock rear shock spring that will allow it to more comfortably handle the increased weight.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have installed the Traxxion springs and was told in the instructions to set the forks up 10mm above the top of the triple tree to keep the ride height the same as stock. That will allow for the stiffer springs.

Vince

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'll save my pennies and go with the Progressives up front and the Lower Wing kit. The Traxxions are out of my budget for now. The stock rear spring doesn't seem to be too bad, it's the jarring handlebars that annoy me most right now.

Thanks for the good leads guys. If you have any other ideas, let me know.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yes, stiffer springs will increase ride height. I would not worry to much about that unless you can't touch the ground now. Stiffer springs will get you into the correct part of the shock/fork stroke. 1/3 into the travel with operator on board is where you want to be. The rear shock feels better with preload but the spring is still too soft. Do yourself a favor and change both front and rear springs at once. Racetech.com can spec new springs. Do a product search, make and model. This will tell you what you have in it currently and what you need. Thank me later.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have an ‘08 wing, and I weigh about 270. I have disabled the anti dive, which has completely transformed the front end from a harsh feel, to smooth but not soft. My rear suspension has no modifications, I just run the preset up to about a 20 when solo, and up to the max when 2 up.

I have found that the ride itself varies very little at different presets, but will bottom out at the lower settings. If you think it too rough, just crank up the preload. The design of the rear suspension geometry will give the same feel at any setting, but the higher settings will increase the travel before bottoming out. It took me a while to figure this out because I was equating a higher preload with a stiffer ride, like bikes with regular shocks and springs. But the GL 1800 suspension is entirely different in the way it reacts.

·
Registered
108 Posts
when i weighed over 300lbs, i went with the progressive mono-tubes (disabled anti-dive) and a progressive rear 1200lb spring. i felt that was the best bang for the buck. Nice ride and handled excellant.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Also, notice the fork spring rate for the stock fork. .75kg spring stock, Racetech recommends 1.1kg springs. That is 6 rates higher than stock. I am 180 lbs on a 2001 Gl1800 and I use a .95kg spring in the fork. Make sense. ......think about it. WAY under sprung Boyz.......You don't have to be a professional rider or engineer to know it or feel it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
when i weighed over 300lbs, i went with the progressive mono-tubes (disabled anti-dive) and a progressive rear 1200lb spring. i felt that was the best bang for the buck. Nice ride and handled excellant.
Did progessive install the proper rate springs for you on the fork kit? I know that rear 1200lb would be great for the back shock. But yes, I am sure that worked well. And yes, tire wear improves as well. That is also worth something.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Guys, I recently bought a new F6B, and after riding it a week, I'm disappointed with the suspension. I weigh 290lbs, and I think that's the problem. When I bought this bike, I expected plushy, soft suspension. What I get is a lot of chatter in the forks, and a little less under the seat. When riding down the freeway, it kind of feels like I'm riding on a washboard road intermittently. I feel every road bump harshly through the bars. I searched the forums, and found the ADV issues. I took the bike back to the dealer, and they rode it a couple of times and told me it was normal. Today I bumped the rear pre-load up to 3/4, and I did notice an improvement under the seat, but there's nothing I can do about the front. I also disabled (partially) the ADV with a nickel, and I'm disappointed to say that it didn't make a very noticeable difference. When I took the ADV apart, it looked a lot cleaner than any of the pictures I've seen online, and the top piston moved back up freely with just a little pressure, so I think it's functioning properly. So, I guess I'll need to upgrade my suspension, and I have questions about that.

The only thing I can think of is that my weight puts me too near the bottom of the spring's travel, meaning I'm bottoming out during normal riding. Does that sound likely to you? Do you guys think that the standard weight Progressive Monotubes would help me? I don't want to increase the ride height of the bike at all. In fact, I'd actually like to lower it. I can't flat-foot with the bike on the stock suspension. I've learned to live with that, but I don't want it any higher. I'd be willing to sacrifice a little lean angle, as I don't use all of what I've got right now anyway. I don't really thrash through the corners. I just want a smooth soft ride for long distance comfort.

Are any of you guys in the same boat as me? Do any of you have some good leads for suspension that will give me a soft ride but keep or lower the ride height? I've read that progressive monotubes are an improvement over stock, but will they be an improvement even for my weight?

Thanks guys.
Funny you should mention this, I was in the same boat with my 2015 F6B and I'm 6'4" and 295 lbs. and had suspension issues with mine as well. I ended up getting a set of Progressive front fork springs and a Progressive rear shock spring and it was a much improved ride with no more bottoming out. Im a mechanic by trade so I did the work myself but it was not real difficult but a spring compressor is needed for the rear shock, I just bought one. Another huge improvement was the custom Hartco seat I had made. They custom made it for my height and weight and it was awesome on the "B" for long haul comfort. I currently have this seat for sale in the classified section if your looking? Oh, changing the springs will increase the ride height but not a whole bunch, maybe an inch or so.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also, notice the fork spring rate for the stock fork. .75kg spring stock, Racetech recommends 1.1kg springs. That is 6 rates higher than stock. I am 180 lbs on a 2001 Gl1800 and I use a .95kg spring in the fork. Make sense. ......think about it. WAY under sprung Boyz.......You don't have to be a professional rider or engineer to know it or feel it.
Prophet, thanks for that excellent intel. So these springs are basically just like the stock springs, only heavier to handle the weight? They're definitely in the right price range for me, so you're saying they'll be pretty smooth?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I'm 260. Have had Monotubes for many years. In April, I upgraded rear on my '10 @ 70k miles to a RaceTech shock sprung for my weight by them. It was a significant upgrade. BTW, the original shock was showing obvious signs of bottoming out, both to my butt (and the butt of my occasional passenger) and in the bumper on the takeoff.

I crashed that bike in July and got a new-to-me '06 with ~17k miles and a Traxxion Full Monty suspension.

All I can say is WOW! I love it.

I saved a little money with my solution on my '10. It wasn't worth it. I'm a Traxxion fan now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm 260. Have had Monotubes for many years. In April, I upgraded rear on my '10 @ 70k miles to a RaceTech shock sprung for my weight by them. It was a significant upgrade. BTW, the original shock was showing obvious signs of bottoming out, both to my butt (and the butt of my occasional passenger) and in the bumper on the takeoff.

I crashed that bike in July and got a new-to-me '06 with ~17k miles and a Traxxion Full Monty suspension.

All I can say is WOW! I love it.

I saved a little money with my solution on my '10. It wasn't worth it. I'm a Traxxion fan now.
Traxxion would be my first choice, but with my budget, it'll take a couple of years of saving to get that setup. I need something cheaper as a stop-gap. But, your Traxxion recommendation is duly noted. I do want some of that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Prophet, with the Racetech springs, is there any way to upgrade the springs to the correct weight, but NOT increase ride height? I'm already tippy toeing now. Another inch would be too much I think. Can I just move the fork tubes up in the tripple tree an inch? What about the back?

·
Registered
218 Posts
The fork spring install requires a preload spacer being cut to the appropriate size and preload, usually 10mm. I suppose you could reduce that to 5mm but you need some preload on the spring or else it will float around. So, it would not lower the bike too much at all. But understand you already sagging your current stock springs too far into their available stroke, unfortunately. This is why you feel harshness when hitting bumps. You are bottoming the suspension or near the end of their available stroke/travel ( which is the harsh part). Your choice on what to do about your dilemna, hope you can figure it out. More travel is not a bad thing, but tipping over at a stop IS a bad thing. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts