GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed out the standard rider's foot rest with a heel toe shifter. It seems to be working great and is more comfortable. However, I was told by somebody that knows more than me that the heal toe shifter can cause damage over time to the gear box, etc. I know this matter must have been discussed before, but it is knew me. Whats the truth?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Duke 123. Starting a new discussion on heel-toe shifters maye be overkill for this board.

If you search for the terms heel and toe, you will find enough posts to bury Godzilla AND Megalon.

All I will say is that I would put the stock shifter back on when I was going in for warranty work.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I recently changed out the standard rider's foot rest with a heel toe shifter. It seems to be working great and is more comfortable. However, I was told by somebody that knows more than me that the heal toe shifter can cause damage over time to the gear box, etc. I know this matter must have been discussed before, but it is knew me. Whats the truth?
Quick answer. If used properly, there's nothing wrong with a heel toe shifter. But, they're extremely easy to misuse, so are a source of problems.

·
Registered
494 Posts
heel toe shifter,,warrenty

I once saw a artical, in this section, about the honda dealer in TENN.
they had a POSTER above the service desk,
"we do not cover Heel-Toe shifter warrenty work,
They were referring to GL1800 tranny warrenty work.
someone here can probably find that post.
I also read replies to HIS post, they had seen-IT too.
KennyU
SeattleWA

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I have to echo that a quick google or forum search will provide you with tons of information. I also know that transmission problems have been blamed for heel toe shifter. There is no way to asociate heel toe shifters but I guess Honda will use that as a way to void waranty repair cost.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I added the Kury heel-toe to the stock peg......the shift offset you add to the shifter should be sold by itself. Much easier to shift not having to "dip" your toe down as far to catch the shifter with your toe. Much easier .....I rarely use the heel to shift.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Statistically, there is no correlation with Transmission Failures and Heel Toe shifters. Some Dealers, some situations; Ungrounded Prejudice obviates the removal when taking the bike in for warranty service though. Same can be said if you have a trailer hitch and your harmless rear car tire.

Use your Heel Toe shifter with peace of mind, your bike's transmission will eventually fail with, or without it.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I once saw a artical, in this section, about the honda dealer in TENN.
they had a POSTER above the service desk,
"we do not cover Heel-Toe shifter warrenty work,
They were referring to GL1800 tranny warrenty work.
someone here can probably find that post.
I also read replies to HIS post, they had seen-IT too.
KennyU
SeattleWA
Yes that was my post. I posted a photo of the sign hanging above the service desk at Southern Powersports in Chattanoogan, Tn. As you said, it states they will not honor the warranty on the transmission of any Gold Wing with a heel/toe shifter installed. Here is the link to the thread: http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245012

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
That's a nice clear warning to those that think pre-loading fixes shifting problems.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
There was a poll on here a while back that showed that a huge majority of those who had transmission problems did NOT have a heel/toe shifter. The problems with the faulty transmissions have nothing to do with the shifter. Trying to prove that an make Honda honor the warranty... that might be a long, expensive battle. So keep the pegs on a shelf somewhere just in case and enjoy your heel/toe shifter. :thumbup:

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
Read my tag. Then Google "GL1800 Ghost Shifting" for more information.

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
Read my tag. Then Google "GL1800 Ghost Shifting" for more information.
Greg is right. You should not have to pre load pressure on a gear shifter to shift smoothly. The problems are internal.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
No problems here

My 04 Wing has had a Rivco Heal Toe Shifter since day one .. 233K now and never an issue.

Donnie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts