GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering the purchase of Kuryakyn's floorboards with heel/toe shifter. Anyone have any pros or cons?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I had floorboards and heel toe shifter on my Vulcan. With my size 12s I found the floorboards locked my feet in position worse than pegs, making leg position very cramped and tiring on long rides. Best bet would be to sit on someones bike that has or rig someting to simulate and try in the garage for a good long time I think.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Floorboards

I am in the same position. I have asked people at the dealer and they say don't get them as they are uncomfortable. If I look at how my boot rests on the OEM pegs it would be totally different with a floor board in that the front of the boot would be raised up considerably which would be uncomfortable. I had boards on my VTX and they were fine. However, I believe my leg/foot position was more forward so it was a more natural position for the foot. None of the customized Wings or Trike Wings were outfitted with floorboards at the Honda dealer. So as of now I'm sticking with the stock pegs and shifter until I can sit on a Wing that has floorboards on it.

I

·
0 Posts
WNGNTS said:
I am considering the purchase of Kuryakyn's floorboards with heel/toe shifter. Anyone have any pros or cons?
I have never had the Kury boards and shifter, but if you want a H/T shifter and can live without floorboards, (I don't like them for reasons stated above by others) consider the Rattlebars shifter. If the position of your foot is not comfortable to do the heel/toe shift, you can add their RELO kit, which repositions the foot peg for a better fit for big feet.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
I guess I'll be the odd one out and say I wouldn't ride without floorboards and a heel/toe shifter. I have the Kuryakyn set on mine. I love the look and they are comfortable for me. I'm 6'2" - 34" inseam. The only "problem" I have sometimes is stretching my calf for the heel part of the shifting but it's not that bad. My boots have a heel so when I wear those it's no problem at all. The shifter does make it difficult to remove the engine cover too.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I agree with W.A above . Also if you don't have side stand extension you have to flip up board to put down stand . I would hold in clutch while doing it, It easy to hit the shifter into second if not watching what your doing .

·
Registered
442 Posts
I've had floorboards for years and they were the second thing I put on the new GL1800 after the CB. RIVCO boards because I wanted passenger boards to match that were adjustable. I had Markland on my 1500 and they had a little more foot room then the new ones. RIVCO are the same height as OEM pegs and the rear shifter peg on the arm is adjustable for foot size. I chose Rivco over Kuryakyn due to the look I wanted but there are a few more manufacturers and all help with moving the foot around on long trips. Rivco come with a sidestand extension. A few after market stand extensions help with putting the kick stand down without raising the board.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
WNGNTS said:
I have their "heel/toe" shifter without the floorboards and really like it.
http://www.kuryakyn.com/documents/insta ... L-1005.pdf

Without them, I used to have to really point my toe down to get my boot under the OEM shifter
... now, with them, everything lines up just right and I no longer have to point my boot down.

The heel "nub" was a bit too large and I sometimes bumped it without trying so I removed it and put a short bolt there and covered it with rubber. Makes more room for my foot now.

Mostly, my "heel / toe" shifter is just used as a "toe shifter" only.

Dennis

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I have not used floor boards on the GL1800,but the ones I have used on other big bikes really limited the ground clearance in curves. Does that hold true for the Kuryakyn product on the GL1800. I use the RattleBars unit and their relocate kit for teh pegs. I trimmed the right side engine cover to remove without removing relocate kit, but the left side cover can not come off unless I remove teh peg kit and shifter -- but I can inspect the coolant level from under the bke with flash light anyway. When I am shifting aggressively, I typically use the toe only method, bit up and down.

prs

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
You might want to try this. Combine the Kury shifter with the Kury ISO Wings. They are not as big as a floor board but offer more support than just the stock peg. There is room to move your foot around. I love the Heel/Toe shifter with the ISO Wing. Here is a picture I just snapped in the garage. Not the best but you can see it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts