GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed the Kury floorboards with the heel-toe shifter. At first everything was fine and I was really enjoying the new setup. Then all of a sudden (within about 30 miles or so) I began to have difficulty downshifting. Upshifting 1 - 5 is perfect but sometimes I can't get it to go back down beyond third gear. :? I can't really see how the shifter itself could be causing this, but thought I would toss it out to you guys for comment. Tomorrow I plan to remove it just to see if the problem dissappears. If anyone has had a similar experience or an idea as to what might be happening I would love to hear it. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same set up on my 2006 Goldwing. After qbout 3 days (100 miles) I removed the flloor boards and shifter because I never really felt comfortable with it. Although I never had any consistant issues, there where times when shifting it was not going into the next gear. I never figured out if it was me or the setup. I have always felt most in control when being able to choose wheter I wanted to use the toe or heel to shift in a hurry, because you can only use the heel to shift up, and I was not always catching the next gear, I switched back to the stock setup..

Anyway.. Good Luck.... have a Safe and Happy New Year

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
One of the problems that can arise is the heel part of the shifter is a little too far to the rear and down. It can be difficult getting the full push with your boot heel causing the gear to go into a false neutral. This can be caused because of high top tight fitting boot or your ankle joint not flexing far enough to let the shifter go all the way down. A remedy to this is to make an adapter that will raise the heel shifter about a 1/2" higher and about 3/8" forward to a more comfortable position. It should not be too far forward or it will hit the floorboard when it hinges up. Will post pics soon.

Here's a few pics of an adapter I just made up. It's like riding a different bike. I don't have to stretch to heel shift now. Scuse the dirty bike, I just came in from the rain. Can't complain it could have been snow.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm surprise to read anything bad about the 1800 Kury boards. I installed them on my 1800 trike about 1 month ago, and with mild weather was able to test ride them about 3 times on fairly good distances. The shifting was completely smooth, up and down, and I would have to say as good as the Markland lo-boys that are on my 1500. I did just remove M C boards from 1800, but only because I wanted all my boards, and grips to be Kury's. ( There was nothing wrong with the m c boards either, sorry already sold) Stick405 says it might be a boot, or shoe size, or just a matter of getting use to them, and I total agree with all that. Also you don't need to "beat" on the toe/ heel shifter, but a easy "tap" is all you should need to do, and is certainly easier than the stock shifter. For some 20 years on older wings, I never had boards, with shifters, until a friend finally talked me into them( the 1500 was the first one), but now, I would never be without them, no matter the make.

Ride safe.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Take the shifter off and see if the bike shifts normally using just the shift peg. If it does you have a H/T shifter problem. If it doesn't you could have a bent shifter fork according to some previous posts. I dislike boards for the interference or clearance reasons so I don't run 'em. I do run a Rattlebars kickshifter H/T with standard pegs works great and has never given me a problem of any kind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts