GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
15 year Member
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having this jacket for more than ten years, on my last trip the “armor” in the forearm area seemed dislodged or had slipped to an uncomfortable position... so today I went to investigate what may have happened... well long story short the “armor” had completely disintegrated leaving nothing but broken pieces and black dust.....

Does ANYBODY know where I can buy replacement “armor” I have to replace them ALL, living in a arid environment may have been the culprit

Thanks in advance

Mattbcnv

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
I'd suggest trying Aerostitch, Klim, Motoport, etc.,etc. to find replacement armor pads.

·
15 year Member
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd suggest trying Aerostitch, Klim, Motoport, etc.,etc. to find replacement armor pads.
Thx Pooch.... problem is I don’t have the old ones to match um up ..... and I think HG may be out of business...

I’ll try them thx again..

Mattbcnv

·
Registered
5,764 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
jacket armor

Matt , try Ebay. They have lots of Hein Gericke jackets for sale . The prices run from $17.00 to $40.00 etc. You may find one like yours at a cheap price. I don't think it matters if the jacket is small or large , the armor is most likely the same . If the jacket is a good cheap price , buy it and just use the armor. The armor itself will run around $25.00. I have seen just the different types of armor on Ebay

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
A *really* old thread on their origins here:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/gericke-first-gear.64161/

You may need to save what you can on the pads you can extract from the jacket for sizing.

Then, try this for a starting point:

https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/armor/elbow_shoulder_knee_hips:_installs_in_apparel/

You might find something close. With good measurements of your existing pads, they have some measurements that might get you really close.

Hint: The D30 stuff is nice; it's thinner and softer than most.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Matt, you might try asking over in the adv forum. I see that product mentioned quite often. Maybe because there is more European participation.

Richard

·
Registered
236 Posts
Had this been 2 months ago I must have discarded 6 sets of armour from various jackets over the years. I am sure something would have work.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Revzilla has them. I just replaced the elbow armor in my wife’s Joe Rocket Goldwing jacket a couple of weeks ago. Same thing happened in her jacket. Elbow pads came out in pieces. The ones Revzilla had were a direct replacement. About $25. They have lots of different sizes and configurations.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/joe-rocket-ce-elbow-knee-armor

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Believe I have an old Hein Gericke mesh jacket at home, will have to check for sure Early next week when I get home

·
15 year Member
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thx all for the leads.... I’m sure I can get something that works, even if I have to “trim” it.... I’ll let you all know what I find, in the meantime I would encourage everybody that has “armor” in their jackets to check or periodically and take pictures of them to ensure you can find a suitable replacement when yours fails..

Thanks again,

Mattbcnv

Reactions: Pooch

·
Registered
199 Posts
.......... and I think HG may be out of business...

Unfortunately HeinGericke has been out of business for a number of years. I keep hearing rumours of a re-emergence....but they never prove to be anything more than just rumours.

It's a real pity. I have several HG jackets of various design...the newest of which is over 20 years old. They all look almost brand new. HG was just that good. I'd have purchased several more by now were they still around.

....sT

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I needed to replace the armor in my mesh First gear jacket last spring. Cycle Gear had in stock some that works great and is much better than the original.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts