GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I just love the styling of the stock bars. These are a throwback but I guess if you need that much adjustment, these are the way to go

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The one positive is that unlike the last Gen Goldwing the brake lines DO NOT need to be extended. My only dislike is the visibility of the wires as they go up the bars to the switchgear but that may just be a prototype unit in Max’s video

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Gee..... I just posted something on another thread about these...... I need a little more time to see what the relocation shims are going to do for me, but these are in consideration. If I cannot get as comfortable on my 2018 as I am on my 2010; my 2018 will never see any state outside of California, Nevada, and maybe Arizona and Oregon ever again. The major problem is handlebar location as I have basically taken care of the "brick" seat before I did my 6,000 mile vacation on the 2018. Also, seeing the wires and fluid lines is a very small price to pay for being physically capable of multiple 400-800 mile days; instead of getting back home and being laid up and in pain.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
If the new Helibars Horizon for the 2018+ provides the same adjustability as did the Helibars Horizon LST on my 2015, I will definitely have them installed during Laconia Bike Week.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
just curious for you guys looking to buy these. how will you be adjusting them? higher? lower? back? fwd? etc...also, how tall are you guys?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I would be bringing them back (not sure how much yet) and I am 5'9". I am having to reach for the grips in stock position and that mostly was what the problem was for a long trip. I had to buy different handle bars for the M50 to be able to ride it too, and it was even more of a reach for the original bars. I ended up putting "mini-apes" on it because nothing else seem to bring them back far enough, yet still have the height of the grips reasonable. That little effort still cost me about $700 because of longer cables and hoses I had to have. So $800 for these and not need to "re-cable" is not that much different.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The only thing that these would do for me that the Shims do not is allow the wrist angle to go back to stock. With the shims my wrists are rotated in towards my body as you sit on the bike and I prefer them more perpendicular to the bike allowing my wrist angle to decrease. I had a set on the Concours and loved them. $800 is expensive but if I had nothing on there now I would probably go the Horizon route. It will provide any adjustment you need.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
just curious for you guys looking to buy these. how will you be adjusting them? higher? lower? back? fwd? etc...also, how tall are you guys?
Higher and maybe wider, but definitely higher!

Reactions: Drgsin

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Its not for me, The Tour Helibars work perfect for me.:smile2:
I don't like how the wires are exposed on the handlebar tubes fastened with a plastic tie.:serious:
I loved Harrys "torque wrench" in the video.. I guess "close enough" works. lol
JMO...:wink2:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Its not for me, The Tour Helibars work perfect for me.:smile2:
I don't like how the wires are exposed on the handlebar tubes fastened with a plastic tie.:serious:
I loved Harrys "torque wrench" in the video.. I guess "close enough" works. lol
JMO...:wink2:

It could be one of the really expensive ones that just look like long handle wrenches. I was in the back at a Honda shop one day and I was hearing beeping while the shop guy was tightening something. It did not look like a torque wrench at all, but I had to ask. "Was that your wrench beeping?" It was, he showed me the handle with a small LED screen with torque setting (and it was set low as what he was doing had a low setting).

I may be ordering them in a month or two. I don't care for the open cables either, but comfort in a long riding day is more important than having all of the wires zip tied in place. I was thinking of cleaning up the look by having a single wrapped bundle on each side. Besides, I already have a CB and Zumo cable on the left side and another bundle of 5 wires on the right for radar detector and trailer TPMS receiver.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have on my 14. I installed my own, after doing a State Inspection on someone who had them on his Wing. Going from My Wing to his was a total difference that I liked. So I bit the bullet. And have been happy ever since. But it was also the reason I have not gone to the 18> Wing yet. I did not want to be leaning forward again. Now I have to start looking at moving up to a 19 or 20. As far as exposed wiring, sheesh to each their own. a bundled set of wires would not deter me, a bunch of loose wires may.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts