GL1800Riders Forums banner

Heli Bars

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Emir Dalkıran 
#1 ·
OK, I rode today...first true ride with the Heli Bars installed....

I like the fact that I now can reach the handle bars with my butt up against the backrest of the driver seat....

Question: I know the Heli Bars besides moving them backwards also moved the handle grips closer to each other...has any one who installed the heli bars find the grips being closer to each other (narrowing) a little weird feeling...?

Thoughts...? Did you get use to them...? or did you rip the Heli bars off?

I am a short armed guy.....and I might just be use tot he wide spand GW over the past 30 years

Reactions: DannoVT
#3 ·
I thought about the wrist angle...but since I had not ridden the bike since last November I forgot what was the previous wrist angle....

Wonder what is the correct wrist angle?

Thanks

#6 ·
Before I purchased my Wing I knew I needed the bars brought back in order for me to be comfortable on long rides. The first thing I did when I purchased my bike was order the Heli Bars. I actually had the helibars sitting in my shop before I was able to bring it home because of the snow. Once it got nice enough to pick up my bike I rode it home 25 miles and put the heli bars on.
I never got a chance to get used to the OEM settings and they feel natural to me.
I could see if you had ridden quite a few miles before putting on the heli bars it could feel strange at first.

#7 ·
I definitely noticed the change of wrist angle as soon as I sat on the bike and felt the bars after installing the Heli’s. I guess I have gotten more comfortable with the position but favor the stock angle. The trade off of bar angle has been worth the closeness to me the Heli’s provide.

#9 ·
As I am not sure what year you ride, But my wing (2014) the Helibars feel great.

Attachments

Reactions: THEWING
#11 ·
I had about 9500 miles on my 2018 before I installed the helibars. I didn’t have the “get use to them” problem. Liked them from the get go. I sit up straighter with arms more relaxed. They feel great to me. Just had to re-adjust the mirrors for the proper rear view.

#12 ·
I recently installed hellibars after riding more than 20k kilometers with the stock handlebar angle.
After install i found it very comfortable in urban riding, especially at slow speed.
Yesterday i rode on a twisty road at high speeds and at the curves i realised that i'm not confident as i was used too.
I'm not sure about its helibars effect or maybe a just bad mood day.
Is it possible for helibars to effect negtively at high speed cornering and leaning the bike ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.