GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing the Helibar risers almost as soon as I brought the bike home a few months ago, I realized that they definitely helped, but not quite enough to relieve the soreness in my shoulders after riding for a couple of hours. I decided to go ahead, bite the bullet, and get the Helibar adjustable handlebars. Yes, they're pretty expensive, but after riding with them now for a few days, I am very satisfied with the purchase. The only issue I have now is that my hands are taking up about one third of my mirrors' view. I've learned to just lean a little if needed, to get the view I need.

20200224_120730.jpg 20200224_120744.jpg 20200224_120827.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
Bravo.....nice install and glad you got comfort....nothing ruins a ride like pain-burning in the shoulders or neck and back because of our ergonomics not in agreement with OEM equipment. I have been happy with the Heli risers and gladly vs the $$$. Been there and done that on my 2012 I purchased the Heli-Bars for it but was well worth the comfort they brought me des[ite the cost. Ride n smiles for you! Nice that you included pics!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The only issue I have now is that my hands are taking up about one third of my mirrors' view. I've learned to just lean a little if needed, to get the view I need.
Can you adjust the mirrors so your hands take up less space in the view? Or do the new handlebars move your hands too far out from the bike?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you adjust the mirrors so your hands take up less space in the view? Or do the new handlebars move your hands too far out from the bike?
Tried that, and I could probably adjust the mirrors to where only a quarter of the mirror view, but I prefer them where they are now. It's not that bad. I don't feel like the bars are any farther out horizontally than the stock bars, it's just they are about 2" higher vertically. In fact the bars can be adjusted in. A lot depends on the rider's height, and the angle looking down at the mirror also.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Good deal. I had them on a C14, made a world of difference. Installed a set on a 05 Wing and my friend loves them. I just wish the did a better job of hiding the wire looms.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I have an appointment in June to have Helibars Horizon SST Bars installed by Harry in Cornish Maine.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I too just finished the install after a year of using the previous Heli riser blocks.
The angle of that set up was all wrong for me but the up and back that they gave me was great. The new set felt like ape hangers at first but I’m loving them now except for the mirror rinterference.
I too just lean out a bit to clear the view.
Just put on the Traxxion heavy duty shocks. WOW what an improvement!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I just installed mine on Friday. I made a guess on placement from the center stand, and it did not take me long when riding to realize I had them too high. That position also was in the way of the mirrors. Saturday, I lowered them and ended up about the same height as stock which put only the weights in the bottom corner of the mirrors (same as Big Bike shims, not quite good enough with bringing the bars back). I think the grips are about 4 inches closer to me now. I almost do not need the glove box lock now since I cannot open it with the bars locked anymore. The adjustment knuckle is about an inch over the lid. So far, my only problem with them is needing a set on my 2010 now..... But only 2 inches back on it will be about what I now have on my 2018 with the Helibars.

One item I did extra on the install was taking some black "sports tape" and wrapped wires. I absolutely had to do that on the left side as the two wire bundles from my J&M CB and the one for my ZUMO had to line up flat beside each other to keep from rubbing the bottom of the "ignition cluster". That cleans up the look just a little. I had also thought about wrapping the bars and wires.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just installed mine on Friday. I made a guess on placement from the center stand, and it did not take me long when riding to realize I had them too high. That position also was in the way of the mirrors. Saturday, I lowered them and ended up about the same height as stock which put only the weights in the bottom corner of the mirrors (same as Big Bike shims, not quite good enough with bringing the bars back). I think the grips are about 4 inches closer to me now. I almost do not need the glove box lock now since I cannot open it with the bars locked anymore. The adjustment knuckle is about an inch over the lid. So far, my only problem with them is needing a set on my 2010 now..... But only 2 inches back on it will be about what I now have on my 2018 with the Helibars.

One item I did extra on the install was taking some black "sports tape" and wrapped wires. I absolutely had to do that on the left side as the two wire bundles from my J&M CB and the one for my ZUMO had to line up flat beside each other to keep from rubbing the bottom of the "ignition cluster". That cleans up the look just a little. I had also thought about wrapping the bars and wires.
Any pictures of this “sports tape” wrapped wires cleanup ? Seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I knew someone was going to ask about pics..... I did not have any yet.....

Well this SUCKS the big one!!!!!!! Trying to put in 6 different pictures and I only get a plethura of the same bloody one! This used to be a piece of cake to add multiple pictures into a post.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Pic 4.....

This is the one that I had to use the tape to keep the 3 wires to lay flat. I may need to adjust it a little as it has rolled up the end of the tape.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
This is really a major pain to post multiple pictures now! Almost last one..... but it is the last one for the wires. This one is the upper left side at the CB and Zumo starting the "bundle" of that 3-some wrap.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I have been using this sports tape for years on my grips. I have thin pieces of neoprene from a mouse pad cut to make shaped grips with a bump in the middle for my palm. The tape holds it all together. It also tends to wear, so every now and then, I remove the top layer and re-wrap the top layer. The chrome rings on the end cover the ends of the wrap and came from foam grips that I used to use, replacing them every year until I could no longer find them. My 2010 does not have the bar weights, so the caps are closed ends. But I kept a set of ends that I used as a test with the bar weights with holes cut in them for the weights. My 2010 was better off without the weights. The 2018 does not have the same issue because the front suspension disassociates road bumps from the bars; thus the weights do what they are supposed to do.

I was due to re-wrap my grips when I installed my Helibars, so these are with a fresh wrap. The tape is about $2 for a roll (found at any sporting goods store). Even if I re-wrap the top layer every 6 months or so, I get several wraps per roll, so it is really cheap for what I am using it for. Much better than the $20 every 10-12 months for foam grips I can no longer find.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts