GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The install took me about 4.5 hours today. It took 3 days from the time I ordered the kit until they arrived.

Packaging was excellent. NOTE- when unpacking save some of the sheets of bubble wrap. (do not pop until job is complete)

Here are all the items in the box. It also comes with a two instruction books. One is written instructions, the other is FULL COLOR photos that detail the instructions. Also not shown is a Left grip removal tool. (more on this later) The instructions are extremely detailed. Anyone with basic knowledge of tools and your bike should be able to do this install. in the pics you will see I have the entire bike taken apart. This is not required. Mine is apart for HID projector install.

NOTE - DO NOT SKIP ANY STEPS. (yes I tried to)

Here is everything ready for the controls and bars removal. Some may choose to leave the gauges in and just prop them up as getting to the plugs is a PAIN. Since I had mine all apart this was easy. If I had not I would have simply loosened the bolt holding and propped it up with something for the little amount of work required behind it.

Every thing was as the instructions read...UNTIL the left grip removal. It states to pry the inside of the grip up with a flat screw driver and get alcohol into there. THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE ON MY 2012. (older models, the grip must have been soft. They state not to Twist and pull, it will ruin the grip.) The interior of the 2012 grip in metal. You can not pry it up. It also stated to turn the grip heaters on for several minutes. Mine would not work with just the Key on. (I made sure the heated seat was plugged in) I could not start it since the bank angle sensor was not attached. A heat gun was to much heat to leave on it for a long period of time. I used a hair dryer propped up and let it warm the grip for about 10 minutes. I then used to the Removal tool that was provided with the kit while keeping the hair dryer on the grip. This process was the longest part of install.

After the left grip process it was all extremely easy to finish following the very well detail instructions. Bleeding the clutch and brake was very simple. This is where you can reuse the bubble wrap. The bubble wrap had a light adhesive on one side. I used this cover the plastic and painted surfaces before placing a towel over them. Brake fluid will ruin your paint and possibly other parts. It can soak through a towel. The bubble wrap was the perfect addition. Before installing all the Tupperware be sure to start your bike and turn the bars full lock left to right and be sure the throttle is not sticking or accelerating the motor.

Now you can pop the bubble wrap!

Overall very easy install. Quality Product, Instructions, and tool for grip removal. I was a little hesitate about paying the almost 800.00 for these. I can now see why they are $800.00. They are very high quality and attention to the small details. I look forward to getting my bike back together and trying them out.

·
Registered
502 Posts
You really don't need to remove that much of the plastic off. Why go through the extra risk in might cracking the plastic.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You really don't need to remove that much of the plastic off. Why go through the extra risk in might cracking the plastic.
Yes you are correct...If you read my review you will see " in the pics you will see I have the entire bike taken apart. This is not required. Mine is apart for HID projector install. "

·
Registered
397 Posts
very nice write up. Just got mine in today. Weather delays had UPS backed up. Packaging was extremely well done. Will start the install this weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts