GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my winter projects was to install the risers in the "tour" position. Using the shortcut video and having a friend around made the install go like a breeze. Well, I also had the proper size ball-end Allen wrenches as well as a set of plastic car tools for working with the body parts. Couple of those really helped in getting the two sides up next to the console.

One thing I didn't do, at least not yet, was to trim the plastic cover that hides/protects the bolts. I don't have a way to easily cut the plastic to the shape designated by the form. I might try finding some of those "caps" that fit over the exposed nuts. Or, I might see if another friend has a tool that can do the cutting needed. Getting access back to that area is really a breeze with the tools I do have.

Someone posted sometime back last summer or earlier about the cover caps they found at one of the big box scores. I tried looking for that post, but for some reason, I have yet to find it. If anyone remembers the post title, please let me know.

So, the last problem with this winter project is, well, winter. We're having some really intense cold and rain down here and further south they have experienced some devastating tornadoes. My heart goes out to those folks. Been through a couple nasty tornadoes where I live and, yeah, they are scary. And there's nothing you can do except hide and hope. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
One thing I didn't do, at least not yet, was to trim the plastic cover that hides/protects the bolts. I don't have a way to easily cut the plastic to the shape designated by the form.
I used a white coloring pencil/crayon to trace the outline. Used a dremel to cut and shape (different bits for each job). Ended up cutting too much on the left side, thinking it needed trimmed more when it was the right side that wasn't fitting properly. Sometimes the reason holes are not lining up is deceiving.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,537 Posts
I used a white coloring pencil/crayon to trace the outline. Used a dremel to cut and shape (different bits for each job). Ended up cutting too much on the left side, thinking it needed trimmed more when it was the right side that wasn't fitting properly. Sometimes the reason holes are not lining up is deceiving.
I scratched that cover with my bike trying to do something the wrong way....it cost me 55 dollars to replace that plastic cover.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've cut the template out from the page and tried lining it up on the cover. There's a lot of material that has to be cut off and the template is not inspiring any confidence in its layout. I'm going to try riding some without the trimmed cover to make sure the bars perform as expected. I think they will just from sitting on the bike. I could tell a difference in reach/ergonomics. Thanks for the tips on the "reason holes".

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I scratched that cover with my bike trying to do something the wrong way....it cost me 55 dollars to replace that plastic cover.
I guess it's a good thing it's not a painted part. $55 is not cheap for a plastic part.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I won't be replacing the cover. I would ride without, especially since it doesn't serve much of a purpose other than looking covered, before replacing for that price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts