GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I started with a Utopia for back pain on long rides. But to alleviate my back pain I needed the Utopia really forward. So my back pain was gone but it moved me forward on the seat where there is less padding. Then I had saddle soreness. Here come the Helibars. Ok so my first ride I had to move the Utopia back again. Felt like it’s been rebalanced. Upright and in control. Utopia is doing its thing and the bars coming back to meet me. Can’t wait for a longer ride but felt great right now.

Reactions: gkarasik

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've got the Horizon Helibars, Utopia backrest, and a Russell production date of December 4th.

The triad of comfort.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh the Russell Day Long!!! I’m almost sad the stock seat works for me. I had one years ago IMO the best in the world. You’re in for a treat if this is your first.

·
Registered
133 Posts
It will be my 4th. I'm going to get the Sport so I won't lose any ground reach.

Reactions: jeff123

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Up a little and about 3 inches back.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok put some more miles on ‘em today and I gotta say I really love the Helibars new position. Was easy to install, a little concerning with the taught cables and hoses, bit it seems to work just fine. I didn’t think I was gonna like the wrist angle but I do,,, alot. Better than the original in fact. 1) I think I’m able to cruise and make small incremental changes easier and 2) I feel the bars new position makes the bike respond better to my inputs. One of the only things they got right here in California is lane splitting. Got stuck in some congestion today and the weave was easier, almost intuitive. Slow speed was already extraordinarily good, but being more upright seems to make MY balance better so that has improved. I have to say I was hesitant getting them and installing them, so much so I didn’t bother with the cover in case I hated them and wanted to go back to stock. In addition to all the above, I am less fatigued after a long ride. Wifey and I made it back just in time for me to make it to the park for doggy’s playtime. As I was there chatting With the other dog owners I realized that I was not exhausted as I usually was after making that ride before on the wing. It’s funny. Someone on here said that cars are adjustable with the seat and the steering wheel, motorcycles should be too. We shouldn’t have to spend more to get this feeling, but all things as they are, I’m glad I did.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I put the Helibars risers on and have the Show chrome back rest. I've done some long days and also see that I'm not nearly as tired as I was with my VTX. DCT and less noise make for a very comfy ride. I'm going on a long ride this weekend and trying out my Wild Ass seat cushion. I like the stock seat very much but during a longer ride, I need a little more.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would love three inches back, but I would want to at least sit on a bike with them first because of the angle. That said my Road King had chubby pull back bars almost like a wheelbarrow, but I could ride 10-12 hrs with no problem. I also had the Corbin solo seat as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts