GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed Helibars on my 2016 F6B and I am waiting for a Utopia backrest and Kury mini-floorboards to come in. Went for a ride today with the new Helibars and still have a little back, knee and elbow pain. The bars don't seem to come back as much as I expected without angling the grips inwards. I have them slightly inward now and I think that is causing my elbow pain because I did not have it when the grips were straight dirt bike style.

Has anyone installed Helibars with risers? If so, please share your experience and what brand you used. Need suggestions. Still trying to figure our which highway pegs as well. Thanks

·
IronMan
17,638 Posts
I dont have but thought i read where heli bars use up all cable . Not sure but if thats the case would have to get longer cables to make work . Thought heli bars moved back quite a bit ???

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have HeliBars on my F6B and the adjustability is endless to a point. Obviously you are going to have to adjust how you sit and ride the bike to help. All I got.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have HeliBars on my F6B and the adjustability is endless to a point. Obviously you are going to have to adjust how you sit and ride the bike to help. All I got.
This is where I have them set up now...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Shane,

When I first installed my Heli's, I had them positioned like yours and rode like that for a year or so making tweeks here and there. My first multiple day trip killed me with elbow pain. I moved them up and wide (dirt bike style) and it made it a painfree trip. I need a slight forward tilt to my torso so the backrest is off the bike and I don't miss it. I figured it needed it but I could not get comfortable with it.
Looking at my photo..... the angle does not seem too different from your's... only mine are tilted higher which makes the reach further. I would have liked them to come back to me more, like you mention but it worked out okay for me.... longer mounting arms would accomplish that.
Pegs I like is ****-O-Pegs. (my clothing shown in the photo was for photo only!)

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shane,

When I first installed my Heli's, I had them positioned like yours and rode like that for a year or so making tweeks here and there. My first multiple day trip killed me with elbow pain. I moved them up and wide (dirt bike style) and it made it a painfree trip. I need a slight forward tilt to my torso so the backrest is off the bike and I don't miss it. I figured it needed it but I could not get comfortable with it.
Looking at my photo..... the angle does not seem too different from your's... only mine are tilted higher which makes the reach further. I would have liked them to come back to me more, like you mention but it worked out okay for me.... longer arms would accomplish that.
Pegs I like is ****-O-Pegs. (my clothing shown in the photo was for photo only!)
Thank you. Which model ****-O-Pegs did you go with?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have MBL wide risers along with Helibars. There is plenty of electrical cable length. The hydraulics and the throttle cable are maxed out, but not stretched.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have MBL wide risers along with Helibars. There is plenty of electrical cable length. The hydraulics and the throttle cable are maxed out, but not stretched.
Did you go with the standard or the wide MBL Risers?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Risers

I am considering a F6B purchase this weekend. How much closer to the rider are the bars with the combination of the two?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I am considering a F6B purchase this weekend. How much closer to the rider are the bars with the combination of the two?
That is a tough question to answer well. The way that mine are set up, if you draw a line connecting the center of each grip, the line is just behind the front of the gas door. I don't know where the stock lines up anymore.

That is not the furthest that they could go back, but then you give up some height, and the hydraulics are already tight. Also, how you rotate the grips will change the measurement.

Okay, I just went and did my best to hold the stock handle bar where it would have been and measured. The Helibar/Mbl combo is about 4" back from stock. That is very unscientific, but seems about right.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Four inches is a LOT. :O

·
Registered
498 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the help. I did visit with Harry at Helibars, and the Horizon LST setup will likely suffice without the static riser plates underneath. I only need maybe 3 inches of pullback with a grip angle change. Helibars regularly sets these bikes up with 4” pullback, but there are lots of variables with 3 axis of adjustment.

I might change to an Ultimate seat, depending on how the bars work out.

BTW, I have a brand spankin’ new 16 F6B in the garage tonight!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have Helis on my Wing (2015), I too could use a little more "towards me", about an additional inch would feel better. Had an Ultimate King on it, went back to my modified stock seat. The King as it turns out caused my arms to stretch a tinge too much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts