GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hell with the cracks, I'm picking up my brand new out of the box 2004 BLACK Goldwing on Friday the 2nd of April. I've roamed around on this board since January and would like to thank all the members who post for a world of information and in some cases disinformation. I am new to the board but not to biking. Started at age 14 and still going strong and I don't tow trailers. Most likely this will be my last bike and no one is going to scare me away. Just sold my 1200 in 2 days for $500 less than I paid for it after six years. Try that with a cage.
All of my bikes have been Hondas and I'm here for the whole journey. I believe in their products but not always in their dealers. So I'm wingless in Ottawa for now and can't wait for next Friday.
Bye the way, Full Insurance cost me close to $1500 Cdn for the new bike. I guess I know why Insurance Company Profits in Canada have increased by a whooping 600 per cent plus while all the time claimed they were loosing money due to 911 etc. Thanks to HDL for this form.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
The Lonewinger said:
Hell with the cracks, I'm picking up my brand new out of the box 2004 BLACK Goldwing on Friday the 2nd of April.
That's the attitude! We need a little more of that around here. :clap2:

We've had more people hurt around here from the neglience of other motorists... than we've had hurt from mechanical failures of the bike... (zero).

Congratulations on your new bike. Enjoy. :s27:

G

·
0 Posts
I have similar feelings however to hell with the GL1800 today...
I'm buying some crack !

rain day :?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Lonewinger!

You go brutha! That GL1800 will have ya "crackin" a smile........all the time!

MJ

·
Registered
762 Posts
Way to go Keith! I look forward to riding with you. Despite a couple problems with the GL1800, I too feel it's the best touring bike out there and just love to ride it. As it happens, my bike is in at Wheelsport waiting for a new audio unit (radio) to try to fix the CB feedback in the speakers. But, I'm the first to admit that problem is minor and doesn't have much to do with riding.

If you were at Chapter B's breakfast last week, sorry I didn't meet you personally, but did hear that you were buying an '04 black. Hope to meet you on Sunday, though.

Cheers!
Arthur
'03 Candy Orange

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm still sitting on the sidelines, but not over the crack issue. Sure it caused me some concerns, mainly because this problem has been around for a while and there's still no solution. However, only a micro percentage of the Wings appear to have this as a problem. Chances are that I won't have one that has a problem. If it does, then Honda and I will be on a first name basis (I think Honda's first name is Mother).

My problem is that I'm not exactly sure what I want. I'm sure there are lots of fence sitters out there like me that want a new bike, but are torn between several models.

I grew up on the old Universal Japanese Motorcycle. From the Honda 65 and CB-175, I eventually graduated to a Yamaha XS-1100 (79 version - best bike I've ever had!). I'm looking for a bike that does it all ... is good for commuting to work, going to the store for milk, and also takes me away from the wife and kids on the weekend (Yippee!). I currently have a small cruiser (Yamaha Virago 750) which is starting to show it's age.

I don't want another crusier 'cause I get some very serious butt-burn after less than an hour in the saddle. I've kinda narrowed it down to the Honda ST-1300 and GL-1800. One look at the number of people on the ST board vs. those that are here tell me which Honda is the most popular. I like the Star Trek control panel on the ST (ST = Star Trek?), but for the life of me it looks more like a tourer for the crotch rocket crowd than anything I'd care to have (guess I'm just too old to appreciate crotch rockets).

Soon as I sell my house in one state, and only have to pay for my apartment where I currently live (apartments are a necessary evil when you relocate), I'm going to check out various Honda dealers and see what I can arrange.

By the way, this week's Cycle Trader has a new, '03 non-ABS GL-1800 at Lake Hills advertised for $14,499 - '04 non-ABS GL-1800 $15,499!

So like many of you, I will advise anyone wanting to purchase a GL-1800 to not worry about frame cracks, but to instead buy and enjoy!

G

·
0 Posts
mtm said:
......My problem is that I'm not exactly sure what I want. I'm sure there are lots of fence sitters out there like me that want a new bike, but are torn between several models. ........
mtm...what can we do/say here to get you over the fence today????

:chat:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Actually nothing can make my mind up for me today. A new bike is in the cards, for years and years I've felt that the Gold Wing is the ultimate bike, and I want something to bring back what I felt when I rode my old XS-1100 many years ago. Electric smooth throttle, great response, etc. Either the ST or GL will give me that.

At the moment, tho, I'm forced to wait on a real estate agent to move my house and take me back to the land of financial solvency.

... do/say to get me over the fence today? Why do I get the feeling that I've just walked into Car Mart and a polyester leach has attached itself to me? :lol:

·
Chard Member
12,965 Posts
Why do I get the feeling that I've just walked into Car Mart and a polyester leach has attached itself to me?
You will now get daily calls from Javern checking to see if you are ready to make the deal! LOL.... :lol: If he doesn't call his sales manager will. The sales manager of Hal's CycleMart is Bulldog! :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's what I decided two weeks ago, and I haven't looked back...best decision I ever made...this bike is awesome. 1700 miles in the first 10 days of ownership, grinning like a fool under my helmet...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Damn the cracks, full speed ahead......

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have an 02 with 62 thousand miles on her.
The only crack ( 0r two ) I have seen on my bike...IS ON THE SADDLE... :bow:

Lets ride em' ! :biker:

www.pashnit.com

IRMac

·
Registered
20,948 Posts
The Lonewinger said:
Most likely this will be my last bike and no one is going to scare me away. Just sold my 1200 in 2 days for $500 less than I paid for it after six years. Try that with a cage.
good decission but I remember telling myself something like that about 5 bikes and 250,000 miles ago, you may be addicted and in need of serious help... :D

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Lonewinger... your plan sounds like what I did.

I read many posts on the earlier version of this board.

Then I made my mind up to buy a 2004 Wing

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
lonewinger go for it. ihave riden goldwings sence they came out in 1975. the gl1800 is best bike i have ever owned. some people you cant make happy. i would get another one if mine brakes into. thats what warr is for. i have worked honda motorcycles and cars from 1965thur 2003. honda will take of their customers. they do not act in hast like some folks think they should. hope to see alot people at fall creek falls for the tn lunch run. :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
You won't be sorry, Keith!!!
You know... you always hear the most noise about the
bad stuff. The frame issue is certainly real, but most of
us are riding bikes with which we've had few, if any, problems.
I've had my '03 Wing for just 6 months, but I haven't
had a problem of any sort.
I was a dedicated cruiser rider until I rented a Wing for
a weekend "just to set what it's like". Now, I can't imagine
riding anything else.
I still grin ear-to-ear every time I saddle up. It is, by far,
the best bike I've ever been on. Let us know what you
think after your "maiden voyage".

·
Registered
552 Posts
Lonewinger, Great Attitude! You'll love it.

MTM -
I've got 350 miles on mine ( in the land of frostbite falls, just being able to start riding, 63 yesterday, rain today). I waited until the '04 was available, then I waited for winter, then I waited for frame status. Said like Lonewinger, to hell with it, bought the bike, can't be every one of them bad. It's competing with the grin I get on my 1800 VTX! Wife isn't afraid of the issue either and her enthusiasm for riding has came up to my level. I don't feel you'd be making a bad decision to buy it! Wouldn't want to see you in a 'could a, should a' scenario! :p

·
Registered
336 Posts
Cracks

Just got back from Marble Falls and, damnit, I forgot to check for cracks. Maybe I'll look next week. Heading to lunch in Pikeville, TN this weekend. Besides, I have one of them "low mileage" bikes. Still trying to break my 2001 Pearl Blue in.
:D
Jerry

1 - 20 of 27 Posts