GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background.

My garmin 376C was powered off the Aux plug under the left faring pocket. I got an intercom buzzzzz with the cruise control engaged. Weeks of back and forth with Honda. They finally disconnected the GPS from the plug and the buzzing stopped. Problem solved? Not so fast.

Today, I plugged a blank male (nothing hooked to it) into the aux power plug, and the buzz returned. How the F*** can that be? There was nothing hooked to the plug expect the little spade connectors inside the nylon housing. No wires....no nothing. I unplugged the blank plug, went for a test spin, and the buzz was gone. Plugged it back in and buzzzz in the intercom. I know quite a bit about this stuff, and this has got me stumped. I am ready to scream. :banghead:

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and another thing. Is there another aux power point I can use? I don't want to hook straight to the battery, cause, you know I would forget to turn the thing off and kill the bike battery.

JLK

·
Registered
762 Posts
Jan Kokochak said:
Oh, and another thing. Is there another aux power point I can use? I don't want to hook straight to the battery, cause, you know I would forget to turn the thing off and kill the bike battery.
Not having an '06 or '07, I don't have a clue to solving your buzzing problem. But, as to powering your gps, you can try wiring it up to the accessory terminal (part of the fuse box next to the battery on the left side) which is switched by the ignition key. The accessory terminal is rated for 5 amps, which should be plenty. But, if that's not enough current, you could use the accessory terminal to power a relay connected to the battery. Which is what EC's power block does:
http://www.electricalconnection.com/power-distribution/pplate.htm

Hope this helps,
Arthur

·
Registered
145 Posts
Buzzing

Jan. Sounds like a radiation problem of some sorts. Every piece of metal is an antenna no matter how small it is. Getting rid of this noise/radiation can be difficult. Typically if you place small capacitors across suspect lines or from a line to ground will help. You may want to ask Garmin if they have any suggestions or ran across this problem before.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
gps

I have left my garmin on a week at a time and never run the battery down .I don't like to wait for it to boot up ever time i get gas.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Jan Kokochak said:

JLK
Jan, you might try wrapping the wire through a couple of ferrite chokes (like they sell at Radio Shack). Easy to try anyway.
DC

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
You can also try the connection for the heated grips under the right fairing pocket.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have now wired the gps directly to the aux terminal at the fuse block and grounded it at the battery. BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! This is maddening. :evil:

·
Registered
222 Posts
If the spades caused a buzz all by themselves (no wires or devices), then there might be a partial short in the aux plug housing itself that only shorts when something is plugged into the housing.

Check the connector closely to see if you can see any frayed wires or a crack in the housing or anything that might indicate a short. Then play with one spade at a time to find out which one might be causing it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Opps, missed your last post about connecting directly to the battery and aux port.

Hmm, does your gps also plug into the aux audio port, or just power only?

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
backwoods said:
Opps, missed your last post about connecting directly to the battery and aux port.

Hmm, does your gps also plug into the aux audio port, or just power only?
It also plugs into the aux audio port, but that is not the source of the buzz. When the audio is disconnected, the buzz is still there. It is only when a load of any kind is on the aux power circuit.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Jan,

What exactly do you still have plugged in? I once had tried using a cigarette lighter power source for an IQ3600.

I tried 2 different ones. Both caused so much RF interference that they wiped out my FM radio. Could yours be the caused by the cigarette lighter power supply?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't have my service manual yet, but could it be a bad relay? The one that supplies power to the aux port when the key is turned on?

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Morph said:
Jan,

What exactly do you still have plugged in? I once had tried using a cigarette lighter power source for an IQ3600.

I tried 2 different ones. Both caused so much RF interference that they wiped out my FM radio. Could yours be the caused by the cigarette lighter power supply?
I have no cigarette lighter plug. This is a single power source hardwired to the aux power circuit.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
backwoods said:
I don't have my service manual yet, but could it be a bad relay? The one that supplies power to the aux port when the key is turned on?
I suppose that could be it, but it happens only when the cruise is engaged and set. So the noise is directly associated with the cruise control, but the RF is getting into the power circuit rather than the audio circuit. HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING.....AARRRRGGGGHHHHHH :?: :banghead:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I dont have an answer but if I try to charge a mp3 player or cellphone in the trunk while riding it kills the radio, also tride powering and listening to the mp3 player in the front left pocket, cant do it. Engine whine is terrible 2004 GL1800

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Jan Kokochak said:
backwoods said:
I suppose that could be it, but it happens only when the cruise is engaged and set. So the noise is directly associated with the cruise control, but the RF is getting into the power circuit rather than the audio circuit. HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING.....AARRRRGGGGHHHHHH :?: :banghead:
One more thing to offer. There is a history of weak (dirty or loose) grounds on these GL1800's. This post of yours maybe points to some resistance in a ground point that is acting as a mixer for anything going through that ground point, allowing signals move between devices via ground loops. You might find it snooping around with a scope but the simple thing would be to just try to clean or tighten all grounds you can find. Just trying to throw out anything that will help your thoughts wrap around the problem. :)
DC

·
Registered
273 Posts
Had the same problem, until I broke down and paid for the Kennedy connector and harnesses. It wasn't what I wanted to do, but it fixed the problem. There seems to be something up and forward in the left pocket that generates a high freq hum.
Hope you get it fixed.
Bob

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bobnpaso said:
Had the same problem, until I broke down and paid for the Kennedy connector and harnesses. It wasn't what I wanted to do, but it fixed the problem. There seems to be something up and forward in the left pocket that generates a high freq hum.
Hope you get it fixed.
Bob
Thanks for the reply Bob. I already have the Kennedy connector and it does not solve my problem. Don't ya know!!! :x

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dream Catcher said:
[quote="Jan Kokochak":3xo2q2iz]
backwoods said:
One more thing to offer. There is a history of weak (dirty or loose) grounds on these GL1800's. This post of yours maybe points to some resistance in a ground point that is acting as a mixer for anything going through that ground point, allowing signals move between devices via ground loops. You might find it snooping around with a scope but the simple thing would be to just try to clean or tighten all grounds you can find. Just trying to throw out anything that will help your thoughts wrap around the problem. :)
DC[/quote:3xo2q2iz]

I have already completely disconnected the grounds, cleaned them and re-connected them. They can't be too dirty anyhow, the bike is only 6 weeks old. :?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts