GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

So I am older and I have had a few back surgeries so I am focusing on comfort and the Goldwing seems to be the smart choice. It is disturbing how expensive the used GL1800's are, but you get what you pay for.

Here is my MAIN question and I cannot find this online anywhere. I am 6'2 and 235lb. I went to test ride a 2008 GL1800 and my knees touched the fairing! it was so uncomfortable, so I thought, I guess this is for short people. I tried a 2006 and same thing. So I gave up......until

I got on a 1998 GL 1500 and it was sooo roomy. However, my mechanic told me he wouldn't work on it, only GL1800s saying parts were too hard to find if not impossible. He said save the headache, and buy a GL1800.

So I tried again and just happened across a 2003 and it had plenty of room. So my question is, what the **** is the deal with leg room on the goldwings. Are the old ones roomier? And what is the deal with the super tiny pedals. Good Lord.

So going to check some others tomorrow. I have had a sabre in the past and a vex 1300 now so I am Honda loyal. Any help would be most appreciated.

Safe travels all and God Bless!

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Welcome from SE Idaho!!! The 1800's, from 2001 to 2017 are pretty much all the same with regards to size and leg room unless they've been fitted with a aftermarket seat to accommodate a taller rider. They may also feel a bit different if they have floorboards instead of the stock foot pegs. The 1500's were built with comfort in mind, think Buick Roadmaster. If you found a different mechanic that was willing to do the work on a 1500, I'd seriously consider one. The disappointed 1500 owner is a rare find. Another option, although the expensive one, is to give a 2018/19 model a try. They seem to be a bit more accommodating for the taller rider. Good luck in your search, ride safe, and keep the shiny side up. :grin2:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts