GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm new to the Wing family, as this is my first touring bike. I have a 2001 GL1800. Love it so far, except for some electrical issues after a big rain recently. (which one, right?)

I work at the Callaway Nuclear Plant and live in Fulton.

Hope to see others around.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Welcome from Missouri's capital city!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Welcome from the "Anchor City" (Centralia).

Back-in-the-day we used to ride dirt bikes in the "Lost 1400" just north of Reform.

Get down to Larry's in JC on Saturday mornings for one of the rides. See you down the road.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm kinda mad at Larry's right now. That's where I bought my Wing, and I hadn't had it three weeks when the electrical started going haywire.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Unfortunately, one always takes a chance with the purchase a used unit and electrical problems seem to be the most difficult to diagnosis.

I have purchased three bikes from Larry's and have never had any complaint when a problem developed. I did have a problem with the audio/intercom that took a couple of trips to the service department to get corrected but they have always gone out of there way to try to fix a problem.

I suggest you contact the service manager, Clayton Miles. He is very knowledgeable when it comes to Goldwings and will go out of his way to make things right. Obviously I have had nothing but positive experiences when dealing with Larry's.

Hope you get your problem taken care quickly and painlessly! Be safe and enjoy the ride!

:biker:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not particularly mad about the fact that something happened. Things happen. I guess in truth, I'm mad about something that really hasn't even happened yet. I just have a feeling they're going to gouge me for a lot of money, even though they just sold me, less than a month ago, a bike that they supposedly put through this rigorous check.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Generally at dealerships the sales and service are managed as seperate "businesses" each responsible for their own profit.

Larry (and his staff) are usually reasonable folks so if you think you have something that should have been discovered when they checked the bike over, talk with them (in a civil manner) and express your thoughts.

If you think they are still unreasonable you can always shell out about $60 for a service manual and $90 for Fred's video set (both of which you should have anyway IMHO) and tackle it yourself. I prefer to do my own work so I know exactly what has been done and how.

Working on the Wing isn't generally too hard and doesn't require many special tools for most general maintenance and repairs, plus you learn and it can be very satisfying to know you have done it yourself.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, you guys were right. They made things right and didn't charge me. The problem turned out to be corroded battery terminals. I was just too lazy to look at them. It was much easier to just let them do it. I suspected it was something they had overlooked before selling it, and betted it wouldn't cost me anything. Fortunately it worked out for me.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Welcome Viper...happy to hear that Larry's took care of you

·
Registered
215 Posts
I don't think there are anymore rides leaving Larry's on Saturday mornings. The local GWRRA rides out of Larry's every Thursday evening. Departure from Larry's is 6:30 PM. It is usually a fairly short ride to a dinner destination and then home. That is about it for the local Goldwing associated rides.

You might want to search out the Central Missouri Riders. They definitely have more rides to offer both during the week and on weekends. Try this link.

http://www.meetup.com/Central-Missouri-Riders/

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While browsing around on ebay, I found a fantastic (I thought so, anyway) deal on a new 2010 from Kirby's Supersports in Chanute, KS. Used to be Honda of Chanute, I think. Anyway, they shot me a deal I couldn't ignore.

Then I got a heck of an offer from Serena (wow :shock:, what a cutie pie) at Sunrise Honda in Searcy, AR, on a 2012.

The battle was on......

I haggled and thought and weighed and haggled back and forth, trying to decide which one I wanted. I finally decided I liked the look of the 2010 better, so I traded in my 01 that I just got last month on a brand new 2010. They took it out of the carton and assembled it right there. Can't get any newer than that.

I rode it down to Osage Beach earlier today and back, and there is no comparison between the 01 and the 10. Probably there was something wrong with the 01 I wasn't aware of. But in any case...wow. I love this thing.

P.S. Larry's had one, and wasn't interested in dealing with me. So I went to Kansas.

Attachments

·
Registered
602 Posts
Nice looking wing ! I too bought my bike from Kirby's via eBay.

Glad your experience in Chanute was a good one. Mine was a nightmare ! I'd agreed on what equipment I wanted; how I wanted certain things; etc. No problem, no problem, no problem. I advised I wanted the bike ready to go so I could arrive; take the test ride; give'm a check & GO ! (this was in Jan. & a very narrow window, weather-wise, presented itself for the ride home).

I get to Chanute, late in the afternoon, just a few min. before closing time; swing by the dealership to let'em know I'm in town & will be there 1st thing to "seal the deal." I walked to the back of the dealership thru a row of wings where the salesmen were...... I'm asked "how'd you like your bike that you just walked by?" Double-take..... nope - my bike's not in the row.....

Bottom line - they'd prepped not only the wrong bike, but with wrong equipment ! I had a folder w/my emails; spec sheets; etc.....

The salesman was content to blow it off.... I was about to wipe the floor with the salesman ! The mgr heard the commotion; came out of his office & asked what was going on...... as the salesman tried to blow it off I advised my situation & showed my proof......

I ended up having to spending most of the next day there while they assembled my bike..... still not with everything I'd pre-ordered (months previous). Fortunately, the test ride was a absolute dream..... after a short ride, I gave'em the check & beat-my-feet home. Just beat (by minutes) freezing precip moving in - that made half of KS & MO a skating rink for the next week -to- 10 days.

I won't mention the salesman's name - hopefully he's long gone from that dealership - but, the owner was very fair & square & made the best out of a bad, bad situation.

No matter how good the deal is come replacement time - I will NOT be returning to Chanute !

Enjoy your bike & come'on'down to the Farmington area sometime.

Adios - Dave

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I grew up in Festus. I'm in the area with some regularity.

I can't say I was all that impressed with the salesman, either. But the deal was a good one, and I didn't get any add-ons, so I didn't have to deal with that. So I avoided and BS. I went in, signed, and left. I had been pre-approved for financing, so that was already done. It was painless for me.

They spent 15 or 20 minutes wiping and cleaning the bike up before loading it. (I trailered it home, because the wife came with me.) I told them not to bother because it would get a mess before I got home. I was right. A massive storm attacked us about 30 minutes into the trip back to Fulton. Horrible rain, but we managed. Got home...mess. Oh well, I had water and towels.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rather than spend $2000 more to get Xm/NAV, here was my solution:

Bought an MP3/ipod/bluetooth module, got a free, yes free, Sirius radio. Guess they were running a special. Had a GPS from a vehicle purchase a year or so ago where they threw the unit in for free. Bought a little velcro and attached it to the top of my speaker covers, and voila.

My total cost, minus subscriptions, $260.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
I work at the Callaway Nuclear Plant and live in Fulton.

I'm resurrecting an old thread, I know, but...YOU WORK THERE?! How cool is that?! I've driven to that plant three times on my way through Missouri just to see it in the past 7 years. Very windy roads -- in fact one time I took my son out that direction and he threw up because of motion sickness.

Unfortunately they no longer offer tours. I'm not a nuclear physicist, nor do I have any experience in the nuclear power industry, but I'm fascinated with nuclear power plants...and don't know why.

I'm planning on planning a visit to Chernobyl in April of 2016.

Anyways! Stay safe and enjoy your Gold Wing.

Phil
St. Louis, MO

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, it's an interesting place. Once inside, you see how safe they really are.

When it's all said and done, the anti-nuke people really don't have a leg to stand on, where safety is concerned.

Here we go....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts