GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings - post #1:

I have been riding most of my life - been out of it for about a decade and about a year and a half ago I bought an 05' Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic - still have it decked out and love it...

Last summer I bought an 06' Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 - spent $$ getting it 'perfect' - you know the routine! 8)

Well, I started lusting after the big 06' Goldwing with the airbag option last month. I took the plunge and put a $1000 deposit on the last 06' at my dealer yesterday! Now I gotta sell my V-Strom - I love this bike but I am trying to convince myself once I get the Goldwing I will never look back. Wish I could have test drove the Goldwing first but I basically am buying it blind based on feedback from so many!

I am 6'4" and bought the V-Strom mainly because it fit my height great. I am hoping the Goldwing will be comfortable for my height. I have set on it of course, but ya never know until you get out on the road.

Any words of wisdom? I can't wait to get it - probably gotta wait two weeks though!

Thanks!
Brian

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm a former dl1000 owner as well. When I started thinking about a wing, I rented one and did a 1500 mile weekend on it. There are lots of dealers that rent. EagleRider rents GWs as well as H-Ds.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Welcome Brian,

Not many of us SOONERS here, at least not many posting. Motorcycleboy is probably still celebrating. I'm up in the Tulsa area and look foreward to meeting you. My sister lives in Moore, so, I'm down their often. Have fun on the New Wing.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Brian, Welcome to the board and to the world of the 1800. You are wise to consider your size because you may have some issures. They will most likely be related to leg length more than height. But they are solveable. It took me a year and an half to solve the problems I had, but by the time I was done, the wing was a great fit.

Take the link in my signature below for lots of different ideas that have helped many of us who have had comfort problems. Then as you ride, you can figure out where the problems are, if any, and have an idea on how to approach them.

Good luck.

G

·
Brian,

I would bet a month's pay, you will love it. Of course I am retired so it's a cheap bet if not safe anyway. I had some of the same consternation when I did the same thing last year. Still have my cruiser and ride it less and less. Even to go on a 2 mile trip I take the GW. Radio's and fun stuff, you know. I always take it when I ride alone and that did not used to be the case. Now I plan to sell the cruiser. The GW is the ultimate cruiser not to mention touring bike. Check out the Norman's, Chapter "N" GWRRA. They are very active and great people. Tues night dinner rides every Tues night, one Sat a month everybody works on their's or someone else's bike and they still have all of the regular business meetings, weekend trips. They do it all, might see you at a Tue night ride. Enjoy your new one. There are a lot of tall guys on the board that have solved their unique comfort problems, just ask.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many you guys are great - thanks for all the quick replies.

My inseam is about 34" and I do hope that GL1800 is comfortable. On my big Vulcan cruiser, I have the Kuryakyn Dually ISO Pegs on the engine guard that really lets me stretch my legs out on the highway. I assume I will be able to get something similar on the Wing?

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
439 Posts
welcome I have an 06 and love it . There are tons of goodies to make the wing your own and HDL is one of the best places to collect them :D
enjoy the ride .

·
Registered
19,443 Posts
Welcome. The Wing won't handle dirt roads like your VStrom, but it is King of the pavement.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'd be surprised if you don't love it. You'll have a tough time keeping the smile off your face.

Welcome to the board.

Dep

·
Registered
56 Posts
New Rider Thoughts

I wanted a new Goldwing but money kept it out-of-reach for me for five years while Honda kept raising their prices. So I picked up my first one, a 2002 GL1800 three days ago. It's been several years since riding a Honda CB900C. I am 6'1" with 30" inseam so my body height is 43", longer than most people my height (73"-30"=43").

The previous owner of this bike had installed a TALL Tulsa windshield so I'm looking through it about 2" below the top. After trying the original windshield, you might consider this one for your 3" added height because it would put your eyes about even with the top edge which is where many bikers prefer it.

A dealer had allowed me to test ride a new Goldwing before I bought this one so I already knew that I liked the ride.

Enjoy your new bike.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nope - born and raised in Yukon, Oklahoma and now reside in Oklahoma City...

I did live in Branson, MO for a couple years working as the pianist for - you'd never guess - the Lawrence Welk Orchestra - but that is another story!

Got my financing straight today - might have the bike in about a week...

Can't wait!

Does anyone else have the 06 Airbag Model? Curious what to expect!

Brian

·
Registered
328 Posts
Brian. you are not who I thought you were. The Brian I was thining of was also into music, as am I. Interesting that you were with the Lawrence Welk crew for a while. I knew Barney Lidel (spelling) and used to correspond with Bob Rolston several times. I am retired Air Force, and I travled through OKC quite a bit, a few years ago.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Small world eh? I got the Welk gig basically because Bob Ralston didn't want to move to Branson from CA... Can't imagine why! :shock:

- Brian

1 - 17 of 17 Posts