GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my 2000 Valk Interstate and I will soon be loving my new 2004 Goldwing. 76,000 miles in 4 years on the Valk and every minute was pure pleasure. Now the time has come to ascend to a Goldwing. Some mixed feeling to be sure but nothing that first cruise on the Wing won't cure. Nevertheless the Valk will remain in my stable to be ridden from time to time. It is truly in a class by itself in my opinion. It's remarkable the number of people who have come up to me and commented on the beauty and style of that bike. The Goldwing on the other hand will be a new adventure all together in looks and performance.

I have learned so much about the new GoldWing already from reading the post on this board and I'm quickly deciding on the list of goodies I want to add on to mine right away. To that end a question ... I have gotten use to using the Driver Floorboard & Heel Toe Shifter and was wonderning what is the best out there for the new Wing. I have seen one from Rivco and one from MC. Are there others I should consider? Which works and looks the best. Also looking at Highway pegs and a thousand other accessories .... aaaahhhhhhh .... it's nice to know some things in life never change :)

I look forward to participating and contribuing on this board as I now become Wingmatized ....

Donnie

·
Chard Member
12,974 Posts
Welcome, Your not the first Valk convert! :) You might not ride the Int after taking possesion of the 1800. They both do the same things, but the 1800 does everything better than the Valk, except for looks. I would still rather look at a Valk than a Wing! LOL...

Can't help you with the floorboards. :(

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Donnie,

You will not regret getting a Wing. Rides like nothing else. As far as boards, most here will recommend the Rivcos. There is also the Rattlebars Kickshifter that has no boards. One thing that will make a difference is your size, inseam, seating position, etc. I am a 34 inch inseam and I would not want any boards because I never have my feet there unless shifting. Too uncomfortable. But then, I use a Diamond Seat which puts my up 3" and back 2". So I have the Rattlebars. Some tall guys do have the Rivcos, but are using Corbin Saddles which move them back but not up, and they enjoy the boards. They'll answer those questions. If you fit comfortably on the OEM seat, you will most likely prefer the Rivco or Markland with the heel-toe shifters.

Here is some more info on increasing comfort. Hope some of it is helpful.

Dan

Increasing Rider Comfort

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
I've had the RIVCO boards for just over a year and wouldn't be without them. They give you alot more options for foot placement than the pegs do, and shifting is a breeze.

Installation was also very easy.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Rivco Boards...

Steve... can you 'up shift' with your toe using the heal/toe shifter? I was wondering if there is enough room to do so?

And, BTW, regarding moving from a Valk to a Wing... I did so 2 years ago. Kept the Valk for a year, but didn't ride it as much as I tho't. Sold it to a riding buddy. And, altho I cared for the Valk a great deal, the Wing is better in all areas for me. I have never looked back. :)

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
Re: Rivco Boards...

Bagger said:
Steve... can you 'up shift' with your toe using the heal/toe shifter? I was wondering if there is enough room to do so?
No, there is not enough room for you to get the toe underneath the shifter.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the Feedback

Thanks for the suggestions ... now if this snow would just get out of here!

Donnie

·
Registered
837 Posts
I also have the Rivco floorboards with the heal/toe shifter and love them.
They are much more comfortable than the stock pegs. This is the right side board with the larger brake pedal head installed. You have to install this to use the rear brake. It also has a heal rest for using the large brake pedal, but I rarely have to use it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Donnie, I traded my 98 Valkyrie for my 03 candyred Wing. The Goldwing is far more nimble handling and has more power and of course more goodies. I am happy with my purchase, but I have to admit that I liked the fact that the Valk had more steel parts.
I wish the Wing didn't have to have so much plastic. To me, it cheapens the quality somewhat.
Ideally, I wish I could have both, but it isn't possible.
Take care, Eric

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So True

Eric ... I know exactly what you mean. I knew right after I bought my Valk in 2000 it was something special. I couldn't agree more that the Valk "looks" like a Motorcycle. I have never liked all of the plastic surrounding the Wing. In fact that reason alone has been why I haven't probably moved to a Wing sooner. However with all that being said I know the Wing will more than satisfy and I can't wait until the snow goes and the Wing arrives ...

Maybe someday there will be and offspring of the Wing and the Valk that can blend those two qualities ... the Rune didn't quite do it for me although it's a beautiful bike.

Donnie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts