GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stu, do you know how to make the 04 lighted handlebar switches work on my 02? Anyone else? Thanks, John

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
John - there are some that have gone through the process of upgrading pre-04 Honda Goldwings to a lighted handlebar, but the cost was rediculously high (IMO). My recommendation is to buy the lighted instrument panel accessory from Rivco as they run anywhere from $86. to $115. depending on where you get them and they work every bit as well for a lot less trouble.

DaleC

https://helene.affordablehost.com/~rivco1/store/index.php?parent_dir=98

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
John,
My gut feeling is that you'd have to replace both switch clusters with '04 parts, then wire the power feed for the lights to a switched power source. And there's no guarantee the wiring plugs will mate to the ones in pre '04 Wings. I could see if my friends in Torrance know for sure, but like DaleC, I think you'll find the cost of the conversion not to your liking.

Stu

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drew at HDL quoted me a price of $313 for all the switches. I just need a way to plug them in. Thanks, John

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just how important is this? Maybe $100 worth, certainly not $500!
I had to learn to field strip and reassemble my weaqpon in the dark, because it could be a matter of life and death. I learned! :!: Same goes here. This could possibly in a long stretch of the meaning be a matter of life and death, but it escapes me how. :?:
Learn where these switches are. They are important, but you can do without changing the radio station or resetting the cruise for a while if you have to. It's not like the tires will fall off if you don't chamge the CB squelch this second. Do you need a light shining on the gear shift to operate it? No you learned how to do it without looking. Same with the rear brake.
$100 to be able to have instant sight of a few switches maybe.
$500 :22yikes:

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
Hatfield said:
After all, how important is a motorcycle in the first place?
VERY VERY IMPORTANT! LOL!!

It's was important enough to us 21+ years ago that we sold everything we owned , quit my job, and moved 1,000 miles south so I could ride 365 days a year if I wanted to!

Just giving you a hard time Pete. I know where you were going with your statement! :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hatfield said:
I'm just answering the guys question, I like to help. I don't think it's a matter of importance at all. After all, how important is a motorcycle in the first place? I like to do things to my bike that makes it different from everyone else. I NEVER try to judge what some else wants or needs on their bike. But, if I decide I want the factory controls from the '04 on my '03, $500 will not stop me ... if you like it I love it. We should all be like that.

Well spoken Hatfield. :chat: That keeps everything in perspective. :bow:

:capwin: :rw1: :capwin:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all who replied, Especially Hatfield. That's what I wanted to know............ John

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Hatfield said:
if you like it I love it. We should all be like that.
Nice Post!

Well said my friend, After all, we are supposed to all just get along and help each other here!

If I asked all of you on this board where the best bridge is to ride my Wing off of, I'd hope I'd just get answers to my question and not a bunch of negative posts about the dangers of getting wet!

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Quickdraw said:
If I asked all of you on this board where the best bridge is to ride my Wing off of, I'd hope I'd just get answers to my question and not a bunch of negative posts about the dangers of getting wet!
Deception Pass, my friend, Deception Pass!

(Glad to help in any way I can! :D )

·
Registered
51 Posts
Jon, didn't ride off the bridge, but spent some time at the Deception Pass Saloon. You can't take it with you and your kids will spend it if you don't.
So if it feels good do it and if you want it buy it. I got my wife a job at a bike shop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts