GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, Y'all!

I am the proud owner of a new 2012 Red level 3 Goldwing! I have checked with a couple of y'all on used bikes, but after considering all my options, it was hard to say no to the good deal I got at Woods Fun Center in Austin, TX. This is my first Goldwing, and my fourth bike. It's been a few years since I've ridden (last was a Honda Magna), but this is the first part of making a 10-year long dream (a Goldwing trip up the Pacific coast, from San Fransisco to Seattle) come true.

I have much much to learn, and relearn. I'm planning on taking the MSF advanced course in the next few weeks - it cannot hurt! And of course, riding! Got to do the 600 mile break-in dance on the open road, not sitting in traffic.

My matte-black Shoei Neotec arrives on Tuesday. Until then, I have my 15-year-old Arai that I've learned to hate (never did fit quite right; okay for short trips, evil past 3 hours). And now begins the outfitting.... radio headset(s), driving lights, trunk mats, gear bags, utopia backrest, cupholder, trunk lighting, ..... it never really stops, does it?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Congrats! You've got the second fastest color after white :) Your experience sounds like mine. My first major trip will be up the Cali coast to Alaska and back. I used that as a farkeling excuse too. Have fun, and be safe.

M

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
:congrats: And be safe out there!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Howdy, Y'all!

I am the proud owner of a new 2012 Red level 3 Goldwing! I have checked with a couple of y'all on used bikes, but after considering all my options, it was hard to say no to the good deal I got at Woods Fun Center in Austin, TX. This is my first Goldwing, and my fourth bike. It's been a few years since I've ridden (last was a Honda Magna), but this is the first part of making a 10-year long dream (a Goldwing trip up the Pacific coast, from San Fransisco to Seattle) come true.

I have much much to learn, and relearn. I'm planning on taking the MSF advanced course in the next few weeks - it cannot hurt! And of course, riding! Got to do the 600 mile break-in dance on the open road, not sitting in traffic.

My matte-black Shoei Neotec arrives on Tuesday. Until then, I have my 15-year-old Arai that I've learned to hate (never did fit quite right; okay for short trips, evil past 3 hours). And now begins the outfitting.... radio headset(s), driving lights, trunk mats, gear bags, utopia backrest, cupholder, trunk lighting, ..... it never really stops, does it?
Welcome, and enjoy the whole experience: riding, farkeling, bantering on this board, planning, spending, and most of all....living!

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Welcome and Congratulations, good to hear your long time dream is coming through. :thumbup:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Like your level and color. And by the way that 15 year old helmet is probably not effective, I think the life span is at most 7 years, sooo be careful. I also have the neotec, but white. This is my first goldwing also and I am hooked.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Looks like I'm not the newest newbie. ;)

Welcome. Definitely take the course. It always pays to keep your skills up.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Like your level and color. And by the way that 15 year old helmet is probably not effective, I think the life span is at most 7 years, sooo be careful. I also have the neotec, but white. This is my first goldwing also and I am hooked.
What would be wrong with the helmet? Styrofoam has a 500 year life span, plastic shell is easy to inspect.

·
Registered
750 Posts
congratulations on the new (slower) bike. we all know the blue ones are the best. but then again the red is purrty

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'm curious what you paid, if you don't mind posting. Those of us in this area, I'm only 30 miles south of Austin, could not get a decent deal around here.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Welcome to our little asylum.....:eek:4:. I had a little set back............but, my doctor says I'm much better now :shock:
But then I digress..............:roll:
Congrats on the first day of your dream. I hope you make it to completion.
Ride safe

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
#define TRUE 1
#define GL1800 TRUE

long Miles;
unsigned char Smiles = TRUE;
unsigned char Ride = GL1800;

while (TRUE)
{
if (Ride == GL1800)
Miles += Smiles;
}

Welcome! :congrats:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Congrats Tex on your new ride, i heard texas has the most wings registered....I think. i love the red but went with black so i could have fun cleaning it...not!

·
Registered
453 Posts
What would be wrong with the helmet? Styrofoam has a 500 year life span, plastic shell is easy to inspect.
Not sure if it is just the styrofoam but was told by several people and stores about the life span of a helmet. Would like to know if otherwise.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Not sure if it is just the styrofoam but was told by several people and stores about the life span of a helmet. Would like to know if otherwise.
Years ago I met a guy at a rest area who worked for a helmet manufactor. He told me the "styrofoam is what protects you and as long as it was not crushed the helmet is good. Dropping it and age does not hurt the safety value of the helmet.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Years ago I met a guy at a rest area who worked for a helmet manufactor. He told me the "styrofoam is what protects you and as long as it was not crushed the helmet is good. Dropping it and age does not hurt the safety value of the helmet.
'Met' a guy at a 'road stop' and he 'told' me......

And you're going to take that advice? Personally, I'd rather listen to the techs at the various helmet mfg companies. I know they're in the business of selling helmets, but I'll still take their word to replace the helmet every 5 ~ 7 years. And the one's I talked with didn't really care where I bought the helmet as long as I stayed safe.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
'Met' a guy at a 'road stop' and he 'told' me......

And you're going to take that advice? Personally, I'd rather listen to the techs at the various helmet mfg companies. I know they're in the business of selling helmets, but I'll still take their word to replace the helmet every 5 ~ 7 years. And the one's I talked with didn't really care where I bought the helmet as long as I stayed safe.
Can't argue but a helmet is a shell, styrofoam and cloth, pretty simple and the guy had no reason to lie...unlike a salesman. Do I think a helmet needs replacing every 5 years for safety reasons...NO but you are free to replace yours as often as you like.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Can't argue but a helmet is a shell, styrofoam and cloth, pretty simple and the guy had no reason to lie...unlike a salesman. Do I think a helmet needs replacing every 5 years for safety reasons...NO but you are free to replace yours as often as you like.
You are correct and I meant no offense. But if, God forbid, I have an accident, and am going head first into the pavement, I don't want a 10 - 15 year old helmet on my head. Also, 'no reason to lie', LOL, you do know there are those that claim they get over 50 mpg on their '12 wings, don't you?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts