GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a 40 day Cross Country Trip. I am riding solo.

I expect to be in this area mid-June.

Folks talk about this road and how beautiful and wild it is. Does anyone have any comments about taking a Goldwing up there?

I am not afraid of Gravel. I've done Mt. Washington.

How crazy is this road?

I would appreciate any feedback!

Thanks

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
What time of year are you planning this? I would not ride it if it has rained, even with the gravel it could be very slick. Make sure you are well hydrated, it gets pretty hot there.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
I rode my wing on it a couple years ago and it WAS fantastic. No gravel. In fact the road was just repaved then. Asphalt. It’s not a crazy road. Look at it on google earth. It’s hi way 12 from Escalante to Boulder and beyond. I would recommend it to all. Enjoy Rhys.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

This is going to be a GREAT Trip!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Pooch, is it hard packed gravel, or is it loose? Using your recommendation I have done Moki Dugway several times, this one sounds great too!

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Don't confuse UT-12 with He!!'s Backbone.

From this https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/hells-backbone-scenic-road review:

There are two roads between the towns of Boulder and Escalante, Utah. One, a lovely route over Scenic Byway 12, is paved. The other, ****’s Backbone, is most certainly not. Both roads were built in the early 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps (the CCC), the construction and public works arm of the Works Projects Administration (the WPA). Before 1933 there were no automobile routes to Boulder or between the two towns, there were only wagon routes and mule trails. When the CCC was formed under the WPA, the two towns asked for funding to bring them into the 20th century. They got it, starting with a gravel road along the ridge called Hells’ Backbone. Given the sheer drop along some stretches, it was the CCC crews who dubbed it the Poison Road – one false step, and down you go.

Hells Backbone is one of those roads that quickly disappears when zooming out in googlemaps.

Streetview cars have not driven this road.

·
Registered
949 Posts
As long as you are riding UT 12 take a ride on Burr Trail out of Boulder. It will eventually turn to gravel but the ride on the pavement is worth the time to go in and come back out. Very nice scenic canyons after a few miles from Boulder.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts