GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what some of you may have done to help break-in a new helmet besides wearing it around the house.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm of the opinion that a helmet either fits or it doesn't. It may loosen up a bit over a year or so, but if you're dealing with a pressure point somewhere hoping that it'll go a way after a "break-in" I don't think that'll happen. Pressure points get worse with time, and sometimes only appear after having worn the helmet for a longer trip. I found this out after sinking way too much money on a Shuberth C3 before finding out 1-1/2 hours into the ride that it was pressing my forehead:-(. I've still got it sitting in the garage, in the box. Pretty much new. After that I bought an Arai Profile and it's been just fine. Right out of the box...and on a 19-hour ride:p.

BTW, if someone wants to make me an offer an a like-new Shuberth C3 (white, large) I'd not turn down ANY reasonable offer. It's just taking up space in my garage as it is.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Just bought two Arai's for the wife and I. Based on past experience, they fit right from the start first day, all day.

·
Registered
19,398 Posts
Rotate your tires and you won't have to break in your helmet. Try it it works:shock:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Just bought two Arai's for the wife and I. Based on past experience, they fit right from the start first day, all day.
How did you get them fitted? Local dealer? I tried one on at a vendor booth at Americade this year, but the silly woman attempting to fit me with it seemed clueless yet completely arrogant. The Profile (now Signet Q, I guess) is supposed to fit my head shape. But, the fit is a mystery. She had me jamming my head into a helmet so tight I couldn't talk without biting my cheeks, and she said it was probably about right. She said it has to be really tight so it will break in properly. I doubt it would change that much. I walked away with my cash in my pocket, needless to say.

I haven't been able to find a dealer anywhere in the Nashville area that carries Arai helmets in sizes to find a good fit. $500+ is way too much to spend on a helmet that doesn't fit.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Go to local dealers and try them on. If they are a deal buy one. If not there are many outlets and websites that can save you a fortune. It should be firm and comfortable from the start. If it is right you should not remember you are wearing it. Heads are expensive to replace, don't skimp on the headgear.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Sorry ... I disagree with some of the posts above.

We bought our SECOND new set of Nolan helmets recently. First ones were getting sort of funky after 100,000 miles. I retired my "good" helmet to my second "around town" bike .... a BUELL ... and Dixie & I bought new Nolan 103's with new headsets from Sierra Electronics over in Troy, Ohio. The new ones are YELLOW to match the YELLOW 'Wing rather than white.

New Nolan helmets are not really totally comfortable for me right away. Nothing in particular ... just sorta snug everywhere .... and painful after an hour or so ... AT FIRST. Now ... after 2000 miles we are both TOTALLY comfortable with the new helmets.

A new helmet should be SLIGHTLY snug and SLIGHTLY less than totally comfortable IMHO ... so that after a few miles the fit is just perfect. My main problem was with the helmet on my ears while wearing my glasses. I now use my contacts almost always when riding. Works better anyway. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Tom, you were lucky your N103 "broke in" after a while, many here have not found that to be the case. I too found my N103 to be quite painful after wearing it a hour or so, around the ears. I had to eventually Dremel out a good bit of foam in this area, and cut some of the padding to get a comfortable fit. I wanted the N103 for it's features and comm set up, but I would not buy the helmet again.

No helmet should be painful, ever. It's a poor fit if it does this. Most helmets will "break in" for most, but, I'm no longer a believer that this is required for a good helmet.

I have a Arai to ride my CBR with. It fit excellent right out of the box, fitted by personnel at The Helmet Shop in Daytona. I'd wear it all the time but I like the N103 flip up feature for riding the GW long distance.

I feel a helmet should fit snug but comfortable from day one. If you put one on and it feels "dang, really tight here and there..." I would not buy it.

Arai are excellent helmets... if you don't mind full face, I would highly recommend it. This is THE most important accessory you buy for your bike, do not concern yourself with the price.

If you have to wear your helmet around the house to "break it in", you have the wrong helmet.

I haven't been able to find a dealer anywhere in the Nashville area that carries Arai helmets in sizes to find a good fit. $500+ is way too much to spend on a helmet that doesn't fit.
Well, then, you have a dang good reason to ride down to Daytona and visit the folks at The Helmet Shop...:thumbup:

·
Registered
19,398 Posts
Buy a helmet on how it fits not brand

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Agreed. I have tried Nolans on a shows, and would never buy one because they don't fit my head. Also Arais. They are great helmets, though! I must have an HJC shaped head, because that is what is comfortable on me. I do have to loosen the cheek pads by swapping to an xl size set in my medium lid. Other than that, all four of the HJCs that I've had have fit me well. Your head is your size and shape. Find one that fits it. I am lucky that a reasonably priced, but decent quality helet fits mine. Some have a head shape that requires a more expensive lid to properly fit.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts

Add to this, if it doesn't fit in the show room, the chances are slim and less that it will "become" comfortable. If the cheek pads are slightly, I mean slightly snug, you'll probaly be ok. If you are biting body parts, move on.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Maybe you got the wrong idea from my post ... the Nolan fits fine now. The problem was with the bows on my glasses and my ears. Now I wear contacts ... that solves the problem completely ... or I move the helmet around on my head to get it seated right and my ears not folded over or caught between the helmet and my glasses.

BTW ... what happened to the YOUTUBE video with Jay Leno talking about fitting helmets ... it was all over and now I can't find it anywhere ??? :shrug:

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
My experience is the same as yours. I think the key is to find a helmet that is somewhat snug everywhere, ...not just in places and with adequate chin room. The padding will conform to your head while becoming a bit looser. It may take 1000 miles or so.

Sorry ... I disagree with some of the posts above.

We bought our SECOND new set of Nolan helmets recently. First ones were getting sort of funky after 100,000 miles. I retired my "good" helmet to my second "around town" bike .... a BUELL ... and Dixie & I bought new Nolan 103's with new headsets from Sierra Electronics over in Troy, Ohio. The new ones are YELLOW to match the YELLOW 'Wing rather than white.

New Nolan helmets are not really totally comfortable for me right away. Nothing in particular ... just sorta snug everywhere .... and painful after an hour or so ... AT FIRST. Now ... after 2000 miles we are both TOTALLY comfortable with the new helmets.

A new helmet should be SLIGHTLY snug and SLIGHTLY less than totally comfortable IMHO ... so that after a few miles the fit is just perfect. My main problem was with the helmet on my ears while wearing my glasses. I now use my contacts almost always when riding. Works better anyway. :thumbup:

G

·
:thumbup: I normally stay away from the big names as your paying for the name not the styrofoam or plastic covering. I have 5 fill face helmets and they all fit from day one. I don't think I spent over $70 for any of them.
Best breakin it to just pick one that fits.

Most shops will tell you they have to be tight and that's probably why so many feel they are uncomfortable until worn for a bit.

It's like underwear - if your underwear's tight, nothins right :cool:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts