GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
10,616 Posts
Garmin Virb (discontinued) is what I have, aerodynamic and good video. Gopro has always been a fan favorite and has improved the product line with image stabilization, waterproof with streaming capabilities.

There's also knockoffs available. Lot depends on the features you need. Voice input via Bluetooth or wired mic, 360* views, etc.. You need to determine what you need and your price point.

I found battery life to be a large limiting issue. With my 08, since I already had a wired headset I ran a USB power cord up to my helmet for the camera. Since I really tended to use the camera as a driving dash cam and not as a travelog I went to a wired front/rear camera system on my 18 for safety/insurance reasons.

· Registered
4,818 Posts
Helmet cams are good, but you have to remember it will record every movement of your head. It will record where you are looking at the time. A bike mounted camera records where the bike is going.
The INNOVV system gets some really good reviews. Plus you can get a front and rear camera version.

· Registered
2005 Roadsmith trike
2,492 Posts
GoPro hero 5 black in aluminum case with "foamy" cover to buffer wind noise.

Camera mounted to the right side of my Shoei NeotecII, hooked to external power pack and 128Gb SD card, no battery in camera for 3+ hours of non-stop video recording.

Case
Cover
Power pack
Coiled cable
for best quality video, use class 10 SD card.
Linky's not workin

· Registered
1,774 Posts

· Registered
1,774 Posts
Helmet cams are good, but you have to remember it will record every movement of your head. It will record where you are looking at the time. A bike mounted camera records where the bike is going.
The INNOVV system gets some really good reviews. Plus you can get a front and rear camera version.
That's exactly why I mount mine on my helmet.

Things don't always happen in front and rear...prople pull out from side streets, deers jump out of bushes, etc.

Only view I don't get is the rear view but, side mirrors are visible in all my videos, if anything.

· Registered
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
1,101 Posts
Helmet Cam
Sena 50C
GoPro 10 or 11

Cams on bike
Insta360
GoPro 10 or 11
Crash Cams such as Innov and Thinkware

Look under Gadgets and Gizmos in this post

· Registered
438 Posts
I do not have a helmet cam because I use an Innovv K5 front and rear 4K/1080.
Innovv has an H5 helmet cam but it does not track GPS data if that is a deal-breaker.

· Registered
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
1,101 Posts
Include Technalogic DC-1 helmet cam, Innov, Think Ware, and Viofo crash cams

· Registered
348 Posts
I think a lot of it depends on how you use a camera and what you would like as a result.
I use my camera basically for creating a video diary of our trips. Where we stayed, what we did, temperature etc.
With that in mind I wanted a camera that had an audio in jack so I could tie it into the intercoms. I also wanted something small and inconspicuous as not to be too noticeable.
I chose the Innovv C5 and wired the accessory line to a switch on the dash so I could turn it on and off.
I had the camera mounted to a piece of aluminum bolted under the antenna mount. New for this year is a new mount made from light weight box tubing. It is a bit taller and more rigid (Trying to get the shake out of it).

· Premium Member
2,198 Posts
I use the Innovv H5. Has a long battery life and long recordings capable of looping. Multiple adjustments of video. Mounts close to Shoei Neo TecII helmet. So far, so good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts