GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years, I have purchased several MC helmets. Now that I have settled into my red GW with a matching helmet, I don't wear the other black and silver ones. I realize helmet manufacturers say to get a new helmet every x years. Not sure that I agree that helmets go bad absent a drop or crash. Probably planned obsolesence to help manufactures.

Regardless, I don't want to put them in the trash. Do riders purchase used helmets? If so. How do I determine a fair price?

Have a great day.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I'm going to take a guess that anybody looking to buy a used helmet isn't going to pay a lot of money. But you know what they say happens every minute...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Over the years, I have purchased several MC helmets. Now that I have settled into my red GW with a matching helmet, I don't wear the other black and silver ones. I realize helmet manufacturers say to get a new helmet every x years. Not sure that I agree that helmets go bad absent a drop or crash. Probably planned obsolesence to help manufactures.

Regardless, I don't want to put them in the trash. Do riders purchase used helmets? If so. How do I determine a fair price?

Have a great day.

I used to feel the same way. I had an ARAI full face that was about the only full face I could stand. I loved it. I bought it at the dealer when one of the salesmen said he had his eye on it, and now it was on sale for 1/2 off. We both knew that at full price, it was out of my budget.
I looked at it and asked him if he wanted it to buy it, or I would. He smiled and said, I shouldn't have told you, but go ahead. It fit perfectly. Fast forward 15 years. Never dropped it, wore it when it was cold. Last time I took it out, the foam lining crumbled down my neck! (The comfort stuff - not the crush absorption foam). I threw it away, even though I still loved the wild designs on it. I throw away old helmets now - I don't want responsibility for someone getting hurt from a helmet they thought might protect them, but was inferior.
I am cheap, but a clear conscience is worth it.

·
15 year Member
6,800 Posts
If they are not good enough to protect YOUR head, why would anyone want to buy yours...

here are a few suggestions to ease your decision....

planter
target practice
wall art
spittoon
costume helmetry

I usually poke a few holes in them with a hammer and throw them in the trash....

mattbcnv

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Over time, the foam inside the helmet shrinks from the heat, sun, sweat and just age. The shells will get more brittle. That means the helmet would not be as effective as time goes by. I replaced an older helmet with the newer helmet of the same brand and size and the new one fit tighter - the old one got loose over time - to me means less compressible foam. So I'm in favor of replacing helmets. They recommend every 3-5 years, I believe. I closely inspect the helmet and I might go 5-7 depending on how it looks, feels and fits. It's up to the owner to inspect. I did replace the inner pads my current helmets a couple years ago. I think they are at the 7 year mark now. I bought a new one the same brand and size last year and they all fit pretty similarly so I may use the older ones another year.

I don't think I'd buy and use a used helmet though. Somebody else's head sweat and whatnot.. Nah. A helmet is more like a personal item like underwear or a toothbrush.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Years ago I sold several 3/4 helmets at a swap meet. I got $10 a piece. The guys that bought them where very happy!!

Look at it this way, a cheap helmet is better than no helmet.

Rayjoe

·
Registered
208 Posts
If it is a quality helmet like an Arai, there are people who will buy. I sold my Arai Edwards edition helmet last year for $250.00. It was at least 10 yrs old. People will pay for the image of a quality helmet that they normally could not afford. If its just your average helmet just toss it in the garbage.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I've heard of some donating their old helmets to their local fire department to use in rescue exercises; especially if that department is smaller and maybe doesn't have much of a training budget. That donated helmet continues to help save lives!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Try poking a few holes in the very top of the helmet (drain holes) hang them upside down put dirt in them and plant flowers or tomatoes in them, hanging at a height that is comfortable for you to pick the fruit.
Do the above after stripping out the inside loose foam and material.
Probably wouldn't look real good in town but on the farm they worked great. When you have a bad back and can't bend over very well you get inventive! Call it a "Redneck Planter".

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
To each their own but I wouldn’t have a big problem buying a recently made Shoei or Aria high end helmet if the guts can easily be replaced.

For instance a Shoei Neotec, can have the cheek pads and liner replaced through revzilla for less than $100. Some guys sell their bikes and then sell relatively new helmets for a song.

On the other hand, if the liners can’t be replaced, I would pass.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I’ve received nice helmets with some of the used bikes I’ve bought that didn’t fit me. ... I try to give them away and am successful most of the time.

If I can’t give them to someone I know, I donate them.

I’ve never sold a used helmet.

I have several helmets and wear them all depending on conditions.

·
Registered
92 Posts
A few years ago, I did some support visits to a fellow biker who suffered a brain injury. He was in a rehabilitation facility, so our chapter (I was president at the time) took over his hospital visitations. This guy was a former mechanical engineer. I say "former", because his mental capacity was diminished. A policeman following him saw the accident. Poor guy wasn't speeding, but slid on a curve, due to sand on the road. The helmet broke, and a piece of the outer plastic pierced his skull. I want to think it was one of those cheap, " gravy bowl" type helmets, but I honestly don't know. Since that assignment, I will only wear a new, D.O.T. approved helmet.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts

Have a great day.

Yes, there is a market for used motorcycle helmets. As for determining value...if the helmet appears to be in good condition, it should bring 40% to 50% of original retail. If you take it to a pawn shop, they will probably offer you 20%.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
The problem with old helmets, and the reason for the "5-year rule" is that some helmets degrade over time, but there is no way to visually tell which ones. Hence, the "better safe than sorry" rule of thumb, derived by the safety gods.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
AOEsq, there are over 6,000 used motorcycle helmets for sale on ebay. Obviously, there's a lot of buying and selling of used helmets happening. Check out ebay to get an idea what your used helmets are worth.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have a shelf with about 8 helmets on it. Two are my wife's, although I can barely remember the last time she rode with me due to her hip issues. Of the six that are mine, I pretty much only use the two newest. I have a Shoei NeoTec that I wear when the temps are lower than about 60, and a Bell 3/4 helmet when the temps are 65 or warmer. A few of the other helmets are just "back ups" if ever needed. But my really old helmets I put out in the garage with the straps cut off for the grandkids to play with on their bikes, trikes and big wheels. When these get too beat up I just toss them in the trash. I probably could get a few bucks for them at a garage sale, but I have no intention of ever doing another garage sale during my lifetime.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts

Have a great day.

give them away

1 - 20 of 20 Posts