GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living here in sunny SoCal, I notice a lot of riders wearing black helmets (usually flat black vs glossy black), and it got me to thinkin' (dangerous!) that it would make your head hotter to wear a black helmet. So i did a few searches, and viola!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi0A75tEU9I

Cliff Notes from the video: Black vs white gloss helmets, in the sun for an hour. Measured with a non-contact temp gun, 50deg hotter on outside of black helmet, 10deg hotter inside the black helmet.

So my question remains - why get a black helmet, other than to "look" cool.... (OK, to match the color of the bike maybe.....)

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
White or a light color much cooler and much more visable; long been known.

Bikers would rather "look good than to feel good" for sure... that's why I'm a MOTORCYCLIST.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Living here in sunny SoCal, I notice a lot of riders wearing black helmets (usually flat black vs glossy black), and it got me to thinkin' (dangerous!) that it would make your head hotter to wear a black helmet. So i did a few searches, and viola!

Cliff Notes from the video: Black vs white gloss helmets, in the sun for an hour. Measured with a non-contact temp gun, 50deg hotter on outside of black helmet, 10deg hotter inside the black helmet.

So my question remains - why get a black helmet, other than to "look" cool.... (OK, to match the color of the bike maybe.....)
I like to have contrasting colors, I think it makes yo more noticeable, so when I got my first yellow bike I also bought black helmets. I didn't much problem with heat.......until I tried light colored
No moe black for me.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I am the most un-cool person I know. Having said that,,,

I like black. I buy black. All my vehicles are black. Maybe I lack creativity, or maybe it is as simple as the fact that I like black.

My my question is,
"Why shouldn't I buy what I enjoy, rather than what someone else thinks I should enjoy?"

·
Registered
211 Posts
Here are some pics that might just send you into an apoplectic rage..LOL.:lol::lol::lol:

And just wait till I powder-coat all the silver/chrome parts BLACK!!

I'll be sure to post more pics then!!!. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
We have HJC full face flip front Red Hemets. 1 set for our Trike and 1 set for our snowmobiles.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Was in a Harley Dealer the other day and a guy was looking at helmets.
He picked up one and put it on and said where is the mirror.
Think he was more concerned with the look than the function and the safety part.

If you check out the Harley sites there is a lot of talk about looks of the helmets.
Mushroom heads and so on.
No talk of safety at all.

Barney

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I am the most un-cool person I know. Having said that,,,

I like black. I buy black. All my vehicles are black. Maybe I lack creativity, or maybe it is as simple as the fact that I like black.

My my question is,
"Why shouldn't I buy what I enjoy, rather than what someone else thinks I should enjoy?"
No one is telling you what to buy, just that a lighter color makes more sense.
I have a silver helmet, and bought it to go along with the silver frame accents of my bike, but I try to stay away from the darker colors.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hi Viz yellow-green or neon green will be the most visible to the human eye....according to scientific testing...
I've got an Arai hi viz yellow helmet. Last year during a rest stop, a driver approached me saying that I passed him a few miles back. Told me he could see my helmet half a mile away. Happy about that I told him that's what I intended.

In florida a few weeks ago, and driving a rental car in bright sunshine, I nearly cut off a motorcyclist who was riding out of deep shade. Black bike, black gear, black helmet. He was invisible to me. It's a prescription for a crash.

That's why I believe that LOUD COLORS SAVE LIVES!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I had black helmets for many years, but the ventilation seemed to keep my head from roasting too badly. My most recent helmet is dark red (to match my now former 2004 GL). Now that I have a white GL, the red still looks OK, except maybe to a red-blind person ("hey... that guy's head is missing! :lol: ). Seriously, it would appear a shade of gray to such a person.

Red is also not the most visible of colors as it is at the edge of the light spectrum, while green and blue are at the center of that spectrum. That is why blue emergency lighting is more visible than red to most folks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've got an Arai hi viz yellow helmet. Last year during a rest stop, a driver approached me saying that I passed him a few miles back. Told me he could see my helmet half a mile away. Happy about that I told him that's what I intended.

In florida a few weeks ago, and driving a rental car in bright sunshine, I nearly cut off a motorcyclist who was riding out of deep shade. Black bike, black gear, black helmet. He was invisible to me. It's a prescription for a crash.

That's why I believe that LOUD COLORS SAVE LIVES!
Coming out of dark shade, wouldn't the headlights be more noticeable than helmet color? Did you notice the headlights at all? Just asking. :shrug:

·
Registered
495 Posts
In truth, that's a totally worthless test, unless you plan on sitting in the backyard wearing a helmet. There is a cooling effect to the air passing by the helmet, ie when you actually ride your bike. Try testing the difference in temps with a 60 mph fan blowing on them. I bet there's less of a difference. That said I have light colored modulars and a black 3/4.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Our very own LarryM did a test back in 2012. Silver vs. Black.

Similar results:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?320016-Helmet-color-vs-temperature

Helmet Temperature Test
2012 Arai XC Ram helmets Diamond Black vs Aluminum Silver

Test conditions
89 degrees. Mostly Sunny. Wind Speed Negligible. All air vents open. Visors closed. Visors facing away from Sun. Air probes were placed between comfort liner and inner styrofoam shell.

Test Equipment Fluke 87 Series 5 Multimeter with Temperature function
Fluke 62 IR Thermometer
2 matched K Type Thermocouples with Air probe tips.

Internal
probe
Internal
probe
External
Surface temp
External
Surface temp
SilverBlackSilverBlack
Start78.278.2
15 minutes *95.094.6110128
30 minutes95.2104.6110144
45 minutes99.2105.4111145
60 minutes **97.7106.1106.5134.5

·
Registered
5,067 Posts

There all ex Harley riders, got to look cool just like black leathers when its 65 outside.:eek:4:

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I have always worn black helmets because that's what I like. I have toured all over this country in cold and hot weather and see no reason to change colors just because one color might be a tad warmer or more visible.

JMO folks. Fred

1 - 20 of 35 Posts