Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Ride with Full Face Helmet

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a pair of color matched helmets for my 03 Candy Red.
I already have the headsets waiting. I have HJC open face now. I have tried on several name brand type helmets and none seem to fit just right. I have narrowed the choice down to three manufactorers. The first is a fiberglass construction without removable liner. Second is an abs with removable liner. Third is thermoplastic. Is abs and thermo plastic the same thing. Between fiberglass and ABS which is better. Looing for opinions.
Waiting

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
which is better???

Alan,
I'm riding in an open faced fiberglas with kevlar hjc helmet, light weight and very comfortable.
IMHO, I think that fiberglass will be stronger than most plastic helmets, and quiet possibly safer.
I also have a hjc full face for winter, and a nolan 100 classic modular helmet. It's very comfortable, i bought it because it was yellow and matched my 1800, i wear it mostly in the cooler months. Hope this helps.
JD
:biker:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Pick one lthat meets DOT and SNELL standards. Thats why they did all the testing - to see which ones will make the grade. I don't think there are many coherent people on this board that have tested all the different brands to destruction. Lets face it, if a material, design, or workmanship won't cut the mustard, it will not be approved by either DOT or SNELL. Now you are down to just color, style and fit. And there are still a pile of them to pick thru.

By the way, currently no flip fronts will pass SNELL standards, only DOT.

·
Registered
172 Posts
"By the way, currently no flip fronts will pass SNELL standards, only DOT."

IR Harry is right. The funny thing is SNELL doesn't test flippers so it's a little misleading to say they won't pass the standards.
How can they justify testing open face helmets and ignore the flippers that are closer to a full face in protection than an open face
:rat: Bake

·
Registered
476 Posts
There is room for improvement in helmet design. Most of the time mine does not vent well and I have one of the better helmets. Something more like a bicycle helmet would be better for Florida summers. Maybe an internal misting system. The foam used leaves much to be desired. A shock absorbing viscoelastic is used in modern military helmets because it absorbs shock so much better. Currently Motorcycle helmets use foam for comfort not shock absorption. The shell is designed to pass the governments tests not survivability. One of the tests I am told is dropping a weighted pointed object at the helmet. In summary I think there is room for improvement in Air Flow, Shock Absorption, and better real world testing. IMHO

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
How long before we have air conditioned helmets?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts