GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I've been searching for a new helmet of late and had read all about the Jarow Mono X-2 and seemed it was a good choice. Located a dealer about 100 miles away and since the weather was so beautiful yesterday, thought I'd ride over and give it a tryout.

The helmet fit my head like a glove! I was a bit concerned because there didn't seem to be much of a pocket for speaker, but figured that could be engineered. Easy opening flip front, visor worked smoothly, and the drop down sun shade was perfect!

Paid my $326.00 and out the door I went new helmet in hand.

There was a bit of a ride to get out of town so as I poked through traffic, flipped and closed everything a couple of times and everything was smooth. Quiet...muffled the sounds outside well without shutting them completely off.

Now...here's the kicker to this whole diatribe. Out of town I slowly increased speed and began to notice the wind noise level increasing. At 55 it was tolerable, at 65 it was almost unbearable, at 75 it was like sticking your head in a wind tunnel. So, I pulled off to the side of the road, took the helmet off, opened and closed everything trying to find the source of the noise - no luck.

I ran the windshield all the way up...and took off again. Slightly less noise, but still way too much to ever be comfortable. I slipped my trusty HJC AC-3 back on and turned around and back to the dealer we went to retrieve my check. Amazing how quiet that HJC was with the shield down!

Did I just get a bad helmet? Anyone else have any experiences?

Rick Bailey
Tuscaloosa, AL
04 Candy Red

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Rick,
I just bought a Fulmer Modus(flip). I found the noise much lower than my old Fulmer AF-2. This helmet was very comfortable with lots of room for speakers. About $130.

My dealer, Bama Pwr Sports, in Oxford had one black XL left. ICON who stocks Fulmer didn't have any on display when I last checked.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I love my HJC-AC3 too. I am wearing my HJC-AC2,
½ helmet today w/storm curtain in. But let me tell you,
my HJC-Symax sucks! I'll bet my wind noise is more
than that of the Jarrow. If I wear my HJC-Symax, after
I put it on, I have my wife cut a 12" piece of black
electrical tape to put over the top of the shield.

Maybe it is just flip front helmets?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mt Jarrow Mono-1 is great, fits perfectly and extremely quiet. I have had a HJC on, found the same thinng with the visor. Had to use a line of 1/4 inch hwindow insulation on the top of the helmet to seal out the noise at highway speed.
I think maybe it was the flip shield needing adjustment. They are sensitive to coming loose on the side locks. I have met a couple of Mono -2 riders that love theirs.

·
Registered
63 Posts
helmets

I have a growing number of helmets in my garage after almost 40 years of riding.
I was at Hal's last week and saw and tried on the Vega Vista XPV Dot open face. It has a nice rounded shield that drops down like a full face flip helmet w/o the chin solid piece.
Anyone have experience with the Vega?
We ride now mostly with full face helmets.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Rode with a Shoei full face lid for years. When we got the new GL I naturally tried the Shoei open face. Excellent fit for both of us and pleanty of room for the speakers. (J&M) Not a bad deal at about $200 per. AND they are color matched! :D
I guess you just have to go with what works for you.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Wind Noise

What you described is a characteristic of the flip front helmets. They will never seal as well as a full face. I have tried several brands and they all have wind noise. I guess you use foam strips to seal it or just live with it.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Flip face helmets are almost always noisier than regular fullface models. My Arai fullface are very quiet UNTIL I open the vents. Then it gets very noisy. My old Shoies were quiet with the vents open or closed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts