GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helmet fit discussions typically address fit aound the crown of the head (round, oval, long oval, etc.), but I have a different problem - my jaw... more specifically, the rear ends of the lower mandible (just below and forward of my ears) are widely spaced - with my jaw muscles clenched, the width is wider than the corresponding width of my skull. I take an XL in an Arai Quantum (FF) and a Nolan N-41 (3/4) but both are very tight at the jawline (chin fits OK in the Arai). I have to hold my jaw slightly forward to eliminate the pressure spots - kinda gives me a belligerent "bulldog" visage... Come to think of it, the pressure is so uncomfortable and distracting, I might have earned the apparent sour disposition... :?

I'm reluctant to start carving on the liner(s) or remove padding, but...

Anyone else have this problem? Any potential remedies?

11/07/06 --- This may be the problem - miss-labled cheek pads...

The cheek pads in the Arai were marked "12mm" which is supposedly the thinnest available... However in comparing them to a friend's Arai cheek pads (new) marked "25mm" they were identical. We swapped, and the fit was the same for us both - no change.

I've found 12mm pads on-line and ordered a set (about $30).

As for the Nolan (N41), there doesn't appear to be any adjustment or replacement pads available. I'll see if a little periodic forceful spreading of the lowers makes any difference.

·
Registered
824 Posts
you may want to see if the helmet manuf have smaller pad inserts for the Jaw area....

Just a thought... Hopefully you can get it figured out...

Melissa

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I say carve it up if you have to.....nothing worse than riding all day in a helmet that don't fit.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I just purchased and installed new cheek pads for my Lazer Century. The helmet is a medium, but the cheeks were a bit tight. I ordered large cheek pads from their web site, and just snapped them in. MUCH better, now!

Try the helmet mfrs. web site first, then maybe email them for advice if you don't see the answer. Most helmets only come in a couple different shell sizes, and they vary the liner thickness to fit different head sizes. If the offending piece is styrofoam, you can work it down some with a billiard ball or other hard appropriate tool.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Mike, have you tried the thinner cheek pads which are avialable from Arai?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Are you saying that Bulldog has a belligerent visage?? Don't you think that's a rather harsh statement to make about someone who has to accept their appearance, for what was given to them? What has he ever done to you, for you to be so tough, on him?

I'm guessing, here, but, maybe, if you don't drive as aggressively, you won't clench your jaw, as much? Or, do they make a helmet 'jaw stretcher' device?

Seriously, (are you serious?) I'm only being a smart a$$. I sympathize with your difficulty. I'm certain that it must be annoying, to experiment with various brands, to obtain a satisfactory fit.
I vividly recall one of my earlier full face melmets which was too tight. I wore it uncomfortably, for many months until the styrofoam padding eventually compressed from pressing too hard against my skull!!

Hope, you find a comfortable fit.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Helmets of the same size from different manufacturers fit differently - Medium in HJC may fit different from a medium in a Shoei.

For helmets, best way to find fit is to try them on, get the best one but then strap it up & walk around for a while - do any pressure points show up with time? A helmet may feel good initially, but pressure shows up with time.

If your helmet has the option to add/remove padding inserts, and you can fine tune that, I'd use the same procedure.

I have yet to find the best fit - HJC XXXL is the closest & I've tried every major vendor. When I take a butt break, I always remove the helmet for a while. I also use silk helmet liners for comfort & cleaning - hard to put a helmet in a washing machine.

G

·
DGM said:
Mike, have you tried the thinner cheek pads which are avialable from Arai?
This would be my answer also.
Arai dealerships are VERY anal on fit, and offer various size pads to suit the customer. This is the reason for buying a quality helmet with service AFTER the sale.
My Arie dealer had me try 3 helmets on for 1 hour at a time in the course of a week before we both agreed on the proper fit.

Great helmet, excellent warrenty, but expensive.

What's your brain bucket worth??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts