GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Helmet Holder Knobs on both sides continually fall off. I go to unlatch the helmet brackets to find the knobs are laying inside the trunk. These little jewels are hard enough to find/locate under the taillight housing in the trunk (poor design), without finding that you cannot use them. I have put them on numerous times with not much success keeping them there. Has anyone else run ito this problem, how have you corrected it?:blw1:

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Helmet holder fix

Just pull out the holder knob and the shaft it is attached to. Grind aboit 1/16" to 1/8" (try the smaller first) and re insert. Problem solved. If you look at the plastic knob, you'll see that it has a retainer clip doo dad built on it. The shaft is too long and it either prevents the retainer from gripping in the first place or, it starts out in it's proper position and when you hit a bump any flexing of the trunk attachment pops it out.

Anyway, grinding a bit off the shaft solves the problem

Pat H

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Helmet holder fix-Reply

Pat, I will give that a try, sounds like a simple fix! I've been ready to throw those little suckers out more than once! Thanks for the help. :blw1:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts