GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
So it looks like the right side takes the brunt of the beating, based upon those percentages on the left side.;)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Well, that pretty much matches my experience. My bad crash I impacted exactly on the tip of my chin. In a minor, crash I impacted on the side. There isn't any question in my mind, my helmet saved my life.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Chin

I was a little surprised on the highest part being on the chin.
34.6% combined for both sides.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That's why I wear a full faced helmet.
That's what I don't understand. If ⅓ of all helmet impacts are on the chin face area, how come so many people wear open face helmets?

I swore to only wear full face after my first crash, wearing a full face, and it was only the chin bar that was mashed up. I thought to myself what if that had been my face.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I don't understand. If ⅓ of all helmet impacts are on the chin face area, how come so many people wear open face helmets?

I swore to only wear full face after my first crash, wearing a full face, and it was only the chin bar that was mashed up. I thought to myself what if that had been my face.

Charlie
For the same reason some chose to wear no helmet at all. As free adults it is their right to chose the amount of risk they wish to take.

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
More reason why you should wear a full face or modular

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
laen...Do you know how a modular Helmet latches closed?? I wonder if they will stay closed with a chin impact?

John

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
laen...Do you know how a modular Helmet latches closed?? I wonder if they will stay closed with a chin impact?

John
i'm not laen, but here is my unscientific answer. even if the chin bar on a modular helmet does break loose, it at least takes the first, and probably, hardest hit. which may very well save your life, or at least your chin/face. some modular helmet latch mechanisms are probably stronger than others. ANY helmet beats no helmet, and ANY modular or full face helmet is probably better than any 3/4 or 1/2 helmet, at least for initial chin/face protection in a crash. JMO, which may not mean much.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
The current issue of Rider magazine (June 2014) has an interesting article on 11 modular helmets. They discuss the latching mechanisms . . . although not in great detail. More a good product review than an article on the merits pros and cons of modular helmets IMHO.

Others have mentioned their accidents here, and my experience is quite similar to theirs. My really bad accident resulted in my face and forehead getting up close and personal with the car that pulled a "U" turn in front of me. If I'd not been wearing a FF I'm not sure what my face would look like now (some might say an improvement was possible) if in fact I would have even survived the thing.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
For the same reason some chose to wear no helmet at all. As free adults it is their right to chose the amount of risk they wish to take.
They may have the right to not wear a helmet (in some states) but most really suffer from the" i'm a better rider and I won't ever be in a crash" syndrome. this point can be argued forever, but most non-helmet wearers have never crashed, and seen where the damage to the helmet could have been their head/skull taking the impact. and then some people have crashed, and still don't "get it". but in some states, they do not have to wear helmets, so they don't. personally, I do not need laws to tell me to at least try to protect myself. as a teenager on a mc, I often rode without a helmet---but often used a helmet too. then I got older, and a little wiser. I still ride, but try to help stack the deck a little in my favor.
As alluded to in an above post, I'm ugly enough without any damage to my face!!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't want this to get into a wear or not wear helmet debate.

I just thought the pictures were interesting.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thanks for posting this up. I have seen a simular chart before and have been looking for it. This chart should be part of the MSF. course along with questions on it. As for modulars, a friend went down hard wearing a modular. He's 6'5 and weighs about 325. he hit the pavement face first. The chin bar and facesheild was very gouged up but it did it's job and did not come loose. he had some road rash and a bruised lung but his head was fine. Texas does not require a helmet but I don't back mine out of the garage without one.

·
Registered
152 Posts

Yes I understand the helmet v non helmet debate. Firmly down on the helmet side for me, but I don't want to get into that.

What I was getting at was having decided, or been forced, to wear a helmet, why wear one that doesn't do much to protect you in ⅓ of the impacts?. I just wonder why people do it that's all as I really don't understand it.

Not trying to start a debate here, just looking for information.

·
Registered
351 Posts
What I was getting at was having decided, or been forced, to wear a helmet, why wear one that doesn't do much to protect you in ⅓ of the impacts?. I just wonder why people do it that's all as I really don't understand it.

I wear a full face helmet, but it does seem to have a lot more wind noise than a 3/4 helmet.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I recently had an opportunity to to test my scorpion modular helmet and took almost all of the impact on my face and chin and the top of my head the modular helmet did just fine it held together all the way through the impact finally coming loose at the right side at the hinge point not the latch point I had Absolutely no damage to my face without the fullface helmet I would've had no face. It didn't even knock my glasses off

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
A person who won't ride motorcycles because of the high risk is just as perplexed why anyone would ride a motorcycle as you are about why anyone would wear anything but a full faced helmet. We all make choices and we all accept a certain level of risk with those choices.

·
Registered
152 Posts
A person who won't ride motorcycles because of the high risk is just as perplexed why anyone would ride a motorcycle as you are about why anyone would wear anything but a full faced helmet. We all make choices and we all accept a certain level of risk with those choices.

Fair enough

1 - 20 of 24 Posts