GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

· Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a proposal in the Nebraska Senate to end the helmet law for those over 21 and who have taken a rider safety course. Basically they are implying that someone 21+ should have the maturity level to decide for themselves and by taking a safety course they have the information to make an informed choice. I wish more states followed this instead of thinking they have to protect us from ourselves. I live in TN where helmets are required but I'm only 10 miles from Kentucky where they are optional. I'll admit that I have tried no helmet a time or two for just a short while before stopping and putting it back on. It is a much different experience that, while it's not for me, as I prefer having some protection, it is a choice we should all be able to make for ourselves. The argument of the increased medical expenses is a bit hollow to me since cigarettes are perfectly legal and I'd be willing to bet money that more people die or have significant medical expenses related to smoking then there are motorcycle riders entirely. Not wearing a helmet and smoking are bad choices IMO but they should be your choice to make.

I don't want to start a flame war or political argument but rather have a healthy dialog on the subject of being required to wear a helmet verses having the personal choice to do so. I think helmets are a good idea and that others should wear one. It should however, be their choice to use one. Curious what others think, respectfully.

· Love The DCT
13,791 Posts
The wearing/non wearing of helmets has been extensively discussed for some time on this forum. If you do a search, you can find posts made in 2013 discussing the wearing of helmets.

· Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen some and participated in one or two. I'm not really looking at debating wearing or not to wearing them but rather having a law that requires them. I prefer to wear them but don't want to be told I have to. Maybe that has been discussed too but it's cold and nasty outside and I'm bored so...

Reactions: Craigar

· Registered
Future Goldwing owner - current sport bike owner looking to sell
253 Posts
The notion that everyone is responsible enough to watch out for themselves is foolish. We have to have laws regarding seatbelts, drunk driving, owning guns, etc because not everyone does what they should.
It's been proven over and over that states with helmet laws have less moto fatalities than non-helmet law states. One might say, "so what if they kill themselves"? Well, think about the trauma and financial hardship this puts on families. When the family breadwinner dies or ends up with a traumatic brain injury that really takes a toll on the family who has to shoulder the burden.
I wear full gear for my family's sake as much as I do for my own sake. I think it's selfish not to.
Of course others think differently but that's my position.

· Registered
3,805 Posts
Minnesota has been a helmet choice state as long as I remember, for those over 18-years old.
No matter.....I never leave the driveway without a helmet strapped on......

White Map Green World Line

· Registered
2022 DCT Non-Touring
282 Posts
Living in Nebraska, I do hope this passes this time. It has failed before. All of the states surrounding Nebraska don't require helmets for those over 25. I spend a lot of time in those states for the sake of that freedom. I'd rather stay in my home state and have the same choices as I do in Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, South Dakota, and Colorado. Time will tell. Fingers crossed.

· Registered
2022 DCT Non-Touring
282 Posts
Minnesota has been a helmet choice state as long as I remember, for those over 18-years old.
No matter.....I never leave the driveway without a helmet strapped on......

View attachment 413442
That map is outdated. Missouri is now an 'age requirement' state.

Reactions: zg1286

· Registered
3,805 Posts
That map is outdated. Missouri is now an 'age requirement' state.
Probably updated as often as Honda updates their GPS... :giggle:

Check out the IIHS link I posted along with it for confirmation of the graphic......

· Registered
4,450 Posts
The notion that everyone is responsible enough to watch out for themselves is foolish.
YES!! Thank God we have a nanny state to protect us from ourselves!!

Stop lane splitting, lane filtering, darksiding, etc. Heck, motorcycle riding is more dangerous than other forms of transportation, so ban motorcycles and end the madness!!!

· Registered
1,609 Posts
I have a color blindness so I can't easily tell between the age requirement and all riders' state.
I think if the fatalities were sorted out it would reveal a large part of them are the crotch rocket young riders who are 10 feet thick and bullet proof.
I would enjoy the ride through that state without a nanny hat.

· Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
9,277 Posts
I've always thought these laws were passed for the direct benefit of the insurance corporations. Are these laws annoying and mildly insulting? Absolutely. Is it more than that? Not really. There are far more serious issues to occupy my mind and time than a law that requires me to do what I'm going to do anyway.

· Registered
2002 GL1800A
77 Posts
The notion that everyone is responsible enough to watch out for themselves is foolish. We have to have laws regarding seatbelts, drunk driving, owning guns, etc because not everyone does what they should.
Driving drunk harms others, so there are laws against that. I don't have an issue with that.
Not everyone agrees there need to be laws about seat belts.
Seatbelts do save lives. But I don't agree with them being mandatory for those over 18.
I feel the same about helmets.
Do I think it is stupid to ride without a helmet, yup.
Do I ride without one, nope.
Do I care if an adult rides without a helmet, nope.

Not going to get into guns...

· Registered
1,774 Posts
I think you just opened a huge can of worms.

My opinion don't matter, it's what the law says matter...wether I like it or not.

I'm for my own protection, therefore I/we ALWAYS wear them, even when we were in Arizona and temperature reached 115+, we still worn helmets AND protective gear.

We rather wash off sweat after Long day riding than be covered in blood dying from injuries suffered needlessly because we chose not to protect ourselves.

· Registered
2021 6 speed Wing, 2021 Kawasaki Z900RS, 2019 Road Glide
2,841 Posts
One thing about the AZ law: If you are involved in a crash and are not wearing a helmet, that can limit the damages you can collect. Still gives you the choice, but doesn't penalize others if you decide to be stupid.

· Registered
2002 GL1800A
77 Posts
It’s stupid that the Un United States of America can’t seem to be consistent. It shouldn’t be left up to the individual states. Dumb dumb dumb.
So allowing the individuals in an area decide what is right for that area is wrong?
OK.

There are specific things the Feds can regulate, and the things not specific to the feds are left to each state to decide.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts