GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I correct in assuming that once I trike my GL1800 I will no longer be able to use the helmet locks? It looks like the lower trunk will not allow the use of the stock helmet locks. If so, what are my options? I don't want to take up valuable trunk space by putting the helmets in the trunk, and I don't want to carry the helmets with me when I leave the trike. Are there any other viable options for me?

Thanks!
Doug

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi Doug,

Most of the time I just stick them in the trunk but on trips when the trunk is full this is a problem. On the Champion kit the helmet locks are still there but I have never tried them. I can check it out tonight.

We often take trips where we ride a while, stop and hike for several hours, then ride again. This requires taking off riding clothes and helmets and leaving the bike for several hours. What we do is take a small cable lock (they make retractable ones for skiing) and thread it thru our Stich suit, helmet and a grommet on the boots. Just send the cable lock thru a place on the bike and you are good to go. If you only wanted to do the helmets, just put them on the seat, cable lock thru them and lock around passenger grab handles. Helps keep the sun off the seat also. Just some ideas. I am sure others have some niffty tricks.

Cheers,
Jill

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
The Champion we had in 02, we used lock extenders and they worked ok...

The small cable lock would be a great option, may a cable gun lock would work also..

·
Registered
362 Posts
Another option is to replace the studs (bolts) that hold your brake and clutch handles on with longer ones. You just hang your helmets on the with the D-ring of the helmet. You can put a little lock on them also. Here is a link to a picture of them.
http://vencowings.com/cgi-bin/miva.cgi? ... ke%3A4-236

I

·
0 Posts
I have helmet hangers under the passenger arm rests, but they are not lockable. If you use the stock upper trunk helmet hangers in any way, extenders or not, they will bang against your lower trunk if there is any wind. Mine were removed when my Champion kit was installed and I don't miss them.

If I feel a need to lock my helmets, (rare) we just put them in the upper or lower trunk...out of sight and hence out of a stealers mind. If no room, we take them with us into motel/restaraunt etc. No big deal.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
We also use a cable to lock our helmets on our Champion. Just put cable through the chin bar and through the pass handle. Works great.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Aerostich has an alarmed cable lock in their catalog that works great. I use it for jackets and helmets. Works great and stores very compact when not in use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts