GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just got a couple helmets that seemed to fit fine in the store. It was a good fit when I got it, or so I thought. Now I'm finding the front center edge is rubbing and irritating my head. Is it possible to take a dremel and file out just a fraction without completely ruining the integrity of the helmet?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I took the liner out of my KBC helmet and looked at the front of the helmet where it was putting too much pressure on my forehead. I just took a knife and sawed off about a ¼" of foam and it fits much better. Also, the cheek pads are a little snug and make my cheeks hurt after a 2 hour ride. The pads are foam so it is possible to slice off some of the foam but I will have to remove some of the stitching around the pad to get to the foam. I'm going to work on that this coming weekend. By the way, some manufacturers offer thinner cheek pads, (i.e. you could use a XXL cheek pad in an XL helmet and in would fit looser on the sides). The problem is no 2 heads are exactly the same and the manufacturers have to try and come up with a happy medium. I would say almost every helmet would need to be altered some to fit correctly to the rider. I would be careful if you were going to change the outer shell because if you make any kind of notch in it at the wrong place, it might crack during an accident and then the shell wouldn't spread out the stress throughout the entire helmet. Good Luck. DW

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
If they'll take it, you need to take it back and get a different one.. That little rub will magnify into a life-changing PAIN over the course of a few hours.

Helmet tend to come in rounds and ovals.. can't reall put a round helmet on an oval head, and vice versa.. try an hjc, they fit the oval head better.. better to replace it, but if you can't, you could take a LITTLE off the foam..

G

·
0 Posts
If it's just one spot, you can try compressing that one spot with a spoon.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
If just one spot is a little tight you can une a small ballpeen hammer ..Gently tap along where it is tight & you can also roll along the tight spot ..kinda like the spoon idea...it may take a couple of times...chuck...PS It works

·
Registered
392 Posts
chuck_b24 said:
If just one spot is a little tight you can une a small ballpeen hammer ..Gently tap along where it is tight & you can also roll along the tight spot ..kinda like the spoon idea...it may take a couple of times...chuck...PS It works
Wow, that really works -- I was sceptical at first, but sure enough, it works. I found that I had a hard time hitting in the right place, so I asked my wife to help -- she hit me in the forehead about a dozen times with a small ball-peen and now the helmet goes right on. I'm guessing I'll heal up pretty soon. lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good ideas...except for the one about getting the wife to help! :lol:
Think I'll start with the spoon, and work my way up to filing a little foam away if necessary. Can't take the helmet back, and to cheap to buy another.

btw...I have a Scorpion helmet, and talked to them directly. The L, XL and XXL are all the same size shell. Same with the XS, S, and M size. They just change the liner to make up for the size difference. Unfortunately, XXL is my size, so there is no smaller padding size.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I bought one of those 99 cent childrens balls and deflated it, put it back into the helmet and filled it with air to compress the liner more.

That did the trick. Left it in for about 2 days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had a friend of mine that had the same problem. Helmet fit fine at the dealer, but after he bought it and wore it for more than 3 minutes, he noticed the pressure on the front of his dome right away. I told him to roll a golf ball across it using pressure, and it worked like a charm. no uneven dents or pressure points like you may get by just pressing a spoon. Just my 2 scents. :oops:

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Pool ball works really good

·
Registered
38 Posts
I always had that problem with helmets until I got an Arai classic M, it fits my oblong head without rubbing my forehead.

·
Registered
19,314 Posts
trim a little away it won't hurt

·
Registered
292 Posts
Be careful what you use to chafe away material.
You can have particals moving around and through the cloth material irritating your skin that will take FOREVER to get cleaned out.

I have used a dremel with a wire brush attachment and a vacuum cleaner going at same time.

Pressing it in is much better, but only goes so far.

Hope this helps.
dw

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Helmets "break in" so I'd give it a coupla hundred miles first. Takes any new one's I've had that long to settle in. If you make it fit now, then when it does break in, it may compromise the safety of the headgear.

Just my 3¢.

Butt there's always this solution - :banghead:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
You could find a witch doctor and have your head shrunk ever so slightly. :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts