GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a HJC Symax that I wear with earbud headphones. I use the earbuds because with the speaker location in the Symax I cannot understand voices very well. I'm tired of the engine noises in the earbuds so want to go back to regular speakers.

Now that the helmets are four years old, I'm looking to replace. I'm looking at the Nolan 102 which allows the speakers to be mounted in the styrofoam directly into the ears.

My main question is, how are the Nolans compared to the Symax for quietness. A dealer told me they were quieter but I'd like some feedback from users.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I just bought a Nolan during Hals sale. I'm waiting for the Edsets, then it will be ready to go. I like the looks of the Nolan and the features, but I'll let you know as soon as it hits the road. I had Nolans several years ago and these are far superior to what they once produced.

G

·
0 Posts
I had a HJC Symax and recently purchased the Nolan 102. I don't think the Nolan is as quiet as the HJC, but the fact that the ear pieces are more in line with my ears makes up for the difference. I use to have the volume at 14 to 18 and now I have it down between 10 and 12. I am very happy with the Nolan.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
This probably doesn't apply to you but I had a Nolan N-41 (3/4 face with face shield like a full face helmet). It was too small for me but I endured for over a year waiting for the foam to compress and fit better. The ear pockets were too near the top of the helmet therefore I had to attached the speakers down onto the chin straps to get them opposite my ears. It was also the noisiest (wind noise) helmet I have ever owned. Some of the problems were due to the fit, but others may be due to a poor design.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
i have a xxl symax. what i found works real well is to take out the filler pads from the ear hole, slice 'em open, take out some of the foam, and put the speakers in them. then slide then back in under that black cloth band, which holds them in more or less the right place (at least for my head). tug 'em down as low as you can, and they should end up comfortable pressed against your ears.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
helmets

This is a little off topic but only a little.
I have a flip front, a Schubert, I noticed that occasionally the hinges would not seat completely and it was not always apparent when they were correctly seated or not.

For me this was a terrible accident waiting to happen, so I gave up the Schuberth.

I was going to get a Symax, and then I read a piece in Webbikeworld.com about the HJC CL-SP a full face helmet. I bought the CL-SP. Its great. I experience no problem putting on glasses or drinking from a bottle. Best is that it is light and very quiet and has recesses around the ears so you can easily wear ear buds with no constriction.

In other words, it ain't a flip front, and maybe it is better than a flip front, and I don't worry about any of the hinges that lock the lower portion of the helmet in place.............not being in place or giving way in a tumble.
I advise anyone considering a flip front to look this full face over. See the story in webbikeworld.com.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts