Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Half

• 'Lid Skid"

Helmet Poll

5K views 71 replies 62 participants last post by  Texas Black Bird 
#1 ·
There are alot of members on this board now, I thought it would be interesting to see a helmet breakdown. Comments as to why you chose your helmet are welcome!!

Matt(Ashland,MA) :D

#5 ·
I wear a full face for the cold or LONG days on th ehighway... 3/4 the rest of the time... you need to make it accept more than one answer...

#6 ·
I've got one, or more, of each type except the full-flip, and skid.

I wear my full face SHOEI (ear and mic) most of the time, except when it is just to damn hot (black helmet), then it's one of my 3/4 (both have ear/mic). The SHOEI 1/2 was a waste of GOOD money. Poor fit.

I'm hunting for a white or silver full-flip this winter, would never bother with a skid-lid.

I live in a state that doesn't require a helmet, but wear one +95% of the time.

#8 ·
Full Face only.

I've traveled many thousands of miles with a novelty half helmet and many more with a 3/4. I've never crash tested any of them, but I've grown up now. I've seen the results of accidents with the other types of helmets and I don't want that to happen to me. So, it's a full face for me. I'll also replace it every three to five years.

This is just my thing. Wear whatever you want to or don't wear any at all. In the US you should be allowed to wear whatever you want. I just like the full face.

p.s.
Full Face helmets have better sound.

#9 ·
Tony in AZ said:
full face at this time.

Looking at a flip front helmets, never owned one. Found one that fits well , also has an inner sun visor

I usually wear a flip front, but I like my 3/4 with full face shield.

Tony...what kind did ya find that also has an inner sun visor ???

#10 ·
I wear a 3/4 with a JM headset & mic when temps are low, wear a 1/2 when temps are high w/ boom mic for CB use.

#11 ·
I have a lot of helmets, full face, flip helmets, 3/4 and half helmets, but after nearly catching a large rock in the face while riding home one night years ago (it hit just above my eye on the helmet itself) - the 3/4 and half helmets are permanently retired. I no longer allow either to be used on my bike due to safety reasons.

DaleC

#16 ·
Not to be funny, but I ahve tried every full face helmet made and none will fit my head. Too much distance between the back of my head and the front of my chin. It's a shame that no one can mold and shape a helmets shell and foam to the shape and size of everyones head. A lot of folks like me would pay good money for that.

#18 ·
helmet

3/4 but thinking about changing after reading these posts.

#19 ·
Full face helmet 100% of the time. It perspectively offers by far the best protection against sun, wind, rain, or potential injury. Also with a tinted shield it helps my H.A.R.D. radar systems helmet L.E.D. to show up better and be more eyecatching, which is crucial to me.

#21 ·
Matt(Ashland said:
There are alot of members on this board now, I thought it would be interesting to see a helmet breakdown. Comments as to why you chose your helmet are welcome!!

Matt(Ashland,MA) :D
All of the above!

Van

#23 ·
8)

FF most of the time but I've retained my Ol' skid lid from my previous motorsicle endeavors, it always gets somebody goin' when I show up wearin' it, whether it's the HDer's or the Wingers. :lol:
I just like bein' controversial and safe at the same time, I need a few more tatooes but I give blood every 60 days but my 72 year old Mom says I'm a "organ donor" waitin' to happen when I wear the lid. :lol:

#24 ·
Well, Matt, as you are aware, the 'helmet preference' topic has as many 'defenders', as varieties of helmets.

My priority has always been to provide myself the most protection, at an expense which is not always easy to justify - UNTIL, you need it! I wear a Shoei RF 1000 full face helmet. Also, I wear a two-piece Motoport (Cycleport) 'Ultra II' Kevlar suit with full 'armor' (in my opinion, the best abrasion/impact protection??). And, I always wear elkskin or deerskin gloves.

When I hit a deer, at 65 MPH, I violently tumbled, like a rag doll, along the highway. My face shield had several deep scratches, which could have been my face? The helmet shell had two areas gouged into the underlying helmet material. My suit had three holes ripped open and severely abraded fabric. At age 59, I definitely took a beating, with bruises/sprains, but, gratefully, I'm still enjoying the thrill of riding - and no skin grafts.

As many have warned, on this board, "dress for the crash". I hate to imagine, how badly I would have been injured (or worse), without maximum protective gear.

#25 ·
This year a club member had a crash and ended up "eating" a RAM mount while wearing a 3/4.. Not pretty and required extensive reconstructive surgery.. Have worn 3/4 and FF, after seeing the results of that low speed crash, I'll stick to the FF thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.