GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always ridden with a full face helmet, but have really been considering going to a open face. I was also looking at the modular helmets, but when they first came out there were not DOT approved. They may be now but I am not sure. I also hear that the modular helmets feel like they are trying to pull off of your head when riding with them up.

My question is do you guys have a helmet style preferance and why i.e. full face, modular or open?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
My wife and I use HJC Is-33 's and they are 3/4 helmet's We like them but ever one has different tastes when it comes to helmets Good Luck with your choice :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I switched to fullface several years ago and I'll never go back to an open face helmet again. The improved safety is unquestionable, but I found many other advantages too. They may be a bit hotter in really warm weather (not a huge difference if you get one that is well ventilated), but I found that I finished the ride at the end of the day MUCH less tired. I wear a dark smoke shield in daylight and I don't ever have windburn, sunburn or dried out eyes. I find that in really hot weather (out here in the DRY west) a soaked bandana around my neck or a cooling collar make a big difference.
The new modulars are very intriguing and I would like to try one. Especially one of those with the drop-down inner sun visor. Virtually all are now are DOT approved though I persoanally don't know of any that are SNELL approved.
Though the safety factor really can't be argued, the rest is all about what works best for you. Just like seats, windshields, pegs.....

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
The modular (which I use and prefer) will be noisier than the FF and much more than the 3/4, particularly in the buffeting pocket behind the GL1800 shield. You can swing the bar up to drink or talk. It is a lot easier to don/remove wearing glasses. The drop-down visor is a great addition. I have yet to be bothered by the weight. When not in the HJC SymaxII, I wear an HJC 3/4 with flip shield. I love it too, but prefer the extra protection of the flip ~95% of the time.

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've worn a number of full face and now wear a full face modular. I like the way I can pop it up at gas stations (in New Jersey) where I must talk to the attendant when getting gas (no self serve). I prefer a clear shield with sunglasses so that I can easily take them off at night. I haven't tried one of the pop down visors but imagine that would be ok except for light leaking up from the bottom.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I wear a Shoei Multitec modular about 80% of the time. Very comfortable & a little TOO convenient to wear with the chinbar raised. I forget its up & just ride off, maybe notice it an hour later.
If the windshield is raised to just over my sightline, (second click) there's no helmet liftoff provided the eyeshield is down when the chinbar is up. That eliminates the crack between bar and eyeshield that catches the wind & snaps your head back. That can be very unpleasant.
If there's buffeting, I just crack the vent.
If you're going with a modular, those are things you never had to think about before. I don't know of any that passed Snell due to the mechanism, but I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Many years ago we wore full face helmets ... then switched to Nolan flip up style ... now in third or forth generation. From studies I've read about 1/3 of all head injuries occur to the front (mouth ... jaw) area, therefore to me an open face would be out of the question. The flip front helmets are only designed to be worn FRONT CLOSED ... we only open them to put on or remove or when stopped or traveling at VERY low speed.

We just bought new Nolan flip up helmets in yellow with J&M sound. The sound is GREAT ... the built in sun glasses feature is GREAT ... best long ride situation is with earplugs for wind noise then turn up the sound a bit. Nice and quiet and comfortable.

One word of caution ... if your helmet is properly fitted it will be pretty snug (uncomfortable) the first few hundred miles ... then be great for the next 50,000.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
There is merit to each style....so get at least one of each!! :thumbup:

Quick trips, errands and testing....open face w/o headsets...HJC
Day rides and HOT days....modular w/big vents & headsets...Airoh
Trips or spirited twisty rides....Full Face w/headsets...Arai Profile

Here is a site with over 1100 to choose from...

www.motowebshop.com

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I have always ridden with a full face helmet, but have really been considering going to a open face. I was also looking at the modular helmets, but when they first came out there were not DOT approved. They may be now but I am not sure. I also hear that the modular helmets feel like they are trying to pull off of your head when riding with them up.

My question is do you guys have a helmet style preferance and why i.e. full face, modular or open?

Thanks
I just bought a Shark Evoline 2 modular helmet. The chin protection flips back and locks in place on the backside of the helmet! And yes they are DOT approved!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Modular helmets aren't made to be worn open while riding. If you do it don't gripe, because that is what you will get.
They are noisy (er), and heavy (er) than FF. They are also made a whole lot better than they used to be. Make sure the locking latches are metal. Plastic don't get it. I don't know if anyone makes them with plastic any more, but watch for it.
I still don't trust them. I have seen too many come open, but that was the early days and they are much better now. there are still too many points to fail for my comfort, at least for now.
Don't skimp. A decent Mod will be more than a good FF. A good mod will be pretty pricey. That gap seems to be closing also.

Best Wishes

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I have used both full face and 3/4. I know the full face provides better safety to the front of the head but I perfer the 3/4. I did look at a Scorpion helment a couple days ago that can be both. Just something about wearing a full face that, for me, takes away from the motorcycle riding experience. I like to feel the wind on my face. Even when I wore a full face, I road with the shield up.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
You can buy a full face DOT approved helmet at Walmart for $69.00, but they don't sell helmets with a Snell Foundation sticker.

There is no professional racing series that require a DOT sticker at a minimum.

Snell Foundation stickers are required by USAC, NASCAR, NHRA and SCCA.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
To my knowledge NO modular helmets are SNELL approved but most all are DOT approved. We run NOLAN N102 which are being closedout for the new Nolan N90 I think it is called and there are some very good buys on the 102 if you can find your size and color from remaining stock on hand. We like ours and I run the short windbender and can ride on Interstate with the top flipped up and no problems. The problems come when the chin bar is flipped open and then the shields are ALSO flipped open. I have a friend whom just went down with an HJC Modular and his first impact was a face plant on the right side of chin bar and shield. He walked away with NO face,head,neck damage BUT had 3 broken ribs and collar bone. Helmet is NO LONGER useable but they are for that ONE time and it did its job. Our Nolans fit tight and are not that noisy. YMMV depending on what sizes you buy and your head shape. Our next helmets will also be Nolans.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a Shoei J-Wing (3/4 style) that is DOT and Snell rated. I recently bought a Schuberth C3 (flip-up) that is DOT rated. The Schuberth fits like a glove and is easily the quietest helmet that I have ever used, period... and has zero buffet. The Shoei J-Wing as well the HJC Symax (flip-up) and HJC 3/4 helmets are significantly louder, heavier (yup, heavier) and not buffet free. Adding a J&M Elite headset/mic combo to the Schuberth C3 and plugging into the Goldwing comm system is VERY nice. I should add that Schuberth is VERY proud of their helmet and tacked a hefty price on it... and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
812 Posts
There are modular helmets that are Snell approved. See http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/zeus-helmet/zeus-zs-3000/.

I've never ridden in anything but a full face (when I was 14-20, riding CB's) or modular (since I started riding 6 years ago). Riding with my modular chin bar flipped up defeats the point of having it. Most aren't designed for this (with shark being an exception).

Yes, they are heavier, but it is really about what you are used to.

Jason

·
Registered
812 Posts
I once skidded face down on the pavement after hitting a deer. Fortunately I was wearing a full face helmet that had much damage to the chin area. I stick with the full face for protection, noise factor and to help keep the sun off my face.

I have ridden with a 3/4 and find them hotter in summer than a FF and colder in the winter.

2,732 Posts
Schuberth

Ruddigore, Didn't know that a J&M would fit in the new Schuberth C3 helmet, thought only their blue tooth setup would work. I may reconsider a Schuberth if a J&M works. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

My question is do you guys have a helmet style preference and why i.e. full face, modular or open?

Thanks

I like the modular because I don't have to take it off all the time when I am running errands, simply flip it open. I ride all the time with the chinbar locked but the shield open unless it is cold or raining and it isn't bad. If I happen to forget to close the chinbar and take off I can feel vibration from it much over 25 mph. They are nice to be able to drink, talk, sneeze, etc where the same thing in a full face would be a problem. I used to wear a Bell Aerostar full face years ago & always made it a point to take my wallet out before entering a gas station late at night to pay for gas so they didn't think I was there to rob them, don't get that with the modular flipped up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts