GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Helmet replacement timing

I've had my GMax helmet for awhile, maybe five years. I was wondering when members here replace their helmet and why.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think the industry says five or when you even drop it. I bet that's been skirted a few times! Getting hit by a car 3 years ago made me buy a new one :)

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
I probably average about 5 years or so. My current one is 5 years old and getting kind of beat up. I have a Shoei Neotec, and the lever that controls the internal sun shield quit working. I can still grab it and pull it down, but it's a pain. Too broke to replace it right now, so I'll keep it around for a bit longer.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
3-4 years.. I rode a lot and sweat a lot. Metal anchors rust, the chinstrap wears and frays, the mechanisms are worked, a lot, and the liner and pads had been washed a lot.
When I went rag doll for about 100 feet down the highway, the trauma surgeon couldn't find any head injuries. I'm glad my friends weren't in the room when he announced that to my wife. LOL
The helmet did the job. I'm glad it was there.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah, industry says about 5 years. The internal foam pieces start to deteriorate over time (they are just styrofoam after all).

I have a GMax helmet too, and it's about 7 years old. I paid about $170 for it IIRC. It still works great, and I've replaced the visors about once every year (I use the dual-layer clear, with the dark flip-up visor over it). The matte black finish has "faded" on the top, so it looks like a silverback gorilla, and the vinyl pieces on the internal padding are rather cracked. I am selling my old Yamaha to finance the purchase of toys for my Goldwing, and a new helmet is on that list. I did the Lidpicker.com thing, and I'll be going with the Shoei GT-Air this time, for about $525.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Replace it with whatever fits your head the best, Checkout lidpicker.com for easier shopping.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I haven't been wearing the same helmet for 5yrs in a row or maybe I'd feel differently about the 5yr recommendation to replace them. I'd replace it if the helmet had been impacted or maybe dropped depending. If the liner was worn out and not replaceable or the EPS material looked like it was getting worn.

I see Shoei released a Neotec 2 but not sure they changed enough to make me want to upgrade. I see a couple Arai helmets with nice graphics that I wouldn't mind buying. Trying to restrain myself. :smile2:

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
At a maximum of 5 years. Pretty much the year following whenever SNELL releases their new standards. I like having both DOT & SNELL. By getting a SNELL 2015 in 2015 (for example) it pretty much assures me that the warehouse and shelf time for the helmet has been at a minimum. Seems like Full Face HJC, Shoei and Arai usually fit me the best. Performance/Crash tested an Arai versus a Toyota Corolla and I'm pretty sure I'm still here because the helmet did it's job! Came to in the E.R. with a Leo standing at the foot of the gurney, holding what remained of my helmet, telling the medical staff; "I gotta get me one of these."

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
5 years, saw a video that the rep said no, if the helmet falls off the bike it's still ok and no need to replace.

Shoei is coming out with a new Neotec in the spring, it might be even better than the current one is which is my favorite.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Donate your old helmet to a local motorcycle Basic Riding Course. A lot of newbies to motorcycling don't even own a helmet yet. The instructors will check the donated helmet out and wash the interior fabric and then let student use that helmet for parking lot riding instruction.

Reactions: edmKC

·
Registered
9 Posts
The last two rotations have been Arai CTz for us. We’ve gone through the cheaper brands (GTX, Bell, GMax, etc) but ended up with Arai.

They’re not cheap, but with the proper fit it’s the most comfortable helmet we’ve ever had. Couple that with the integrated J&M headsets, it’s a winner.

We got our last pair from Sierra Electronics in Ohio. We told them we would be passing through during the first of our holidays, they brought in three sizes of the colour we wanted, fitted us and installed the headsets in a couple hours. Nice people.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I usually replace my helmets every 5 years.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Around my house its new bike = new helmet!

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I was more involved in sports bike riding and being a Ducati Club President, I accumulated around 10 full face helmets, mainly replicas of my favorite MotoGP and WSBK racers. My favorite helmet was Soumy, my noggin wouldn't fit in an Arai or Shoei, besides, I didn't like their artwork back then. I eventually sold off most of my collection and now I'm down to 4 or 5 and one, in particular, I crashed twice while wearing it so that one stays in the closet. It's a rare piece now, a Ben Bostrom Soumy that unbelievably only received a scratch between the two crashes, one of which was over 80mph into a deep swale after low siding on the pavement prior to getting catapulted onto a pile of large downed limbs and rocks. My Honda 600RR was totally destroyed and I sustained multiple fractures; knee, back, pelvis, shoulder (dislocated too),ACL torn out, internal bleeding, left hamstring torn away and to this day unrepaired, four operations, three years of PT and now faced with possibly three more operations as a result of cumulative trauma, but the helmet didn't smack anything, I still can't believe it.

I'm now in the market for a new touring helmet since buying my Goldwing and this is where the fun begins, because I don't really have any idea since everything previously was full face. I don't think Suomy makes a touring helmet, so any research I do on the topic will be brand new territory. I still have a 3/4 Harley with front clear shield, but I never liked it, too noisy for one and I plan on selling it for cheap since I sold my Road King. I like a versatile helmet, one with maybe the flip up feature, but I never liked those that flipped up and made you look like a goofy tour guide in that position. I think the Scorpion brand has a model where the lower piece flips all the way back and in the resting position looks like part of the helmet shell. I'll have to check that out.

If anyone has any helmet ideas I would appreciate any suggestions I can follow up on. I'm also interested in equipping it with Blue Tooth for listening to FM, navigation and maybe talking to some other riders. I don't ride two up, wife is not into riding.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I have the neo-tech one and i think it is great. I will purchase the neo-tech 2in a few years. They fit snug when you buy them, but they break in real good. I bought a 2x and it felt loose after a few months, wish i would of gotten an xL. i did order the xl helmet liner it fits nice now. Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts