GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ... given that we are all supposed to be sitting at home, I'm sure I'm not the only one browsing all my favorite bike accessory sites. I've always been a modular helmet guy, but my current Klim TK1200 has a couple shortcomings. As any particular helmet will if analyzed too closely.

I am about to push the "buy now" button on a full face Shoei GT Air II. Wanna go full face for a change. Lighter and quieter, theoretically. I rarely use the modular flip up other than putting the helmet on or off. For those that have experience with both types, what is your opinion? My plan is to stick my current Sena 20S Evo on it. I'm still not sure about the SRL system yet, and I like to use ear buds some times.

Thanx for any opinions, experiences, words of caged wisdom.

I hope everyone is staying well. We will all be out of this current chaos soon (I hope).

·
Registered
990 Posts
I love my Cycle Gear Bilt modular helmet. I use the flip up all the time.It is hard to drink from my mug without a modular helmet. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I use a Nolan Modular because it offers options in the way of riding flipped up or down (depending on weather). I also wear glasses and find that the full face is cumbersome in that way. I am also shopping for a new helmet so am looking forward to seeing the feedback you get

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Check if you can fit a Sena 20S on a Shoei GTII. There may be a bump to house the SRLII.
While I have 2 Shoei helmets, a J-Cruse with a Sena 20S and a NeotecII with a Sena SRL I don't think I could mount a Sena 20S on the Neotec.
I have and use Schuberth's as my main helmets. There are some very good prices on C3 Pros and C4 Pros as well as other Schuberth helmets.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the Shoei Air II with the flip down sun visor. I like it very much. I wish there was more air flow than there is but since this is my first and only helmet I have nothing to compare it to air flow wise. i put the 10s Evo in it and it worked out just fine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I recently changed from Shoei GT Air to Shoei Neotec II. I also bought the newer Neotec for my girlfriend as well. And, I installed the new built in headset from Sena In both, the SRL system. The SRL system is built in of course, and they replace an older set of Sena 20 EVOs on our prior GT Air helmets.

These new helmets have been a tremendous upgrade for both of us.

My prior GT Air was XL in size and my new Neotec is also XL. Meanwhile, my girlfriend went up in size from large in her prior GT Air to XL in the new Neotec.

Neither of us have hotspots and both our helmets remain comfortable even after hours of riding. We both find the ratchet chinstrap system to be superior to a double-D system. Basically it's just easier to lock and unlock the chinstrap.

The air vents are simple to operate and provide good ventilation. There are only two adjustments, top and chin, while the rear vent is fixed on the Neotec. The GT Air had all three with adjustments. We live in So-Cal area and the summers here are hot of course, so no helmets provide 'air conditioning' so to speak.

I wear glasses all the time and they fit just fine in the Neotec, just as they did in the GT Air. The built in sunshade was a benefit of the GT Air, and it is built into the Neotecs as well.

Both of our prior GT Air helmets required a lengthy 'break in' period. But, none whatsoever with the Neotecs they were comfortable from day one. Perhaps our heads are just 'used to' helmets in general.

I think part of comfort is due to the design of the modular system of the Neotec. Perhaps it is the design of the modular system overall...just a bit more room all around. These are our first modular helmets.

Anyway, we've both enjoyed our new Neotecs quite a bit.

I have no affiliation with Shoei, nor any motorcycle accessory manufacturer or retailer. In fact, I've been fully retired for the last four years.

Cheers...

·
Registered
18,687 Posts
Politically correct answer is the helmet that fits you best is the best helmet for you. I use a Shoei Neotech 2 with Sena SLR Bluetooth. For me it is the best helmet currently available. I like Shoei and Arai helmets but it is a personal thing

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check if you can fit a Sena 20S on a Shoei GTII. There may be a bump to house the SRLII.
While I have 2 Shoei helmets, a J-Cruse with a Sena 20S and a NeotecII with a Sena SRL I don't think I could mount a Sena 20S on the Neotec.
I have and use Schuberth's as my main helmets. There are some very good prices on C3 Pros and C4 Pros as well as other Schuberth helmets.
So ... given that we are all supposed to be sitting at home, I'm sure I'm not the only one browsing all my favorite bike accessory sites. I've always been a modular helmet guy, but my current Klim TK1200 has a couple shortcomings. As any particular helmet will if analyzed too closely.

I am about to push the "buy now" button on a full face Shoei GT Air II. Wanna go full face for a change. Lighter and quieter, theoretically. I rarely use the modular flip up other than putting the helmet on or off. For those that have experience with both types, what is your opinion? My plan is to stick my current Sena 20S Evo on it. I'm still not sure about the SRL system yet, and I like to use ear buds some times.

I hope everyone is staying well. We will all be out of this current chaos soon (I hope).
I have had two Shoei helmets. The first was a full face RF900 I used on my older Wings with a plug in audio system. My current is a modular Neotec with a Sena 20S.

One point is the higher safety factor of the full face. Yes, I believe the modular is a bit noisier but I use earplugs all the time so it doesn't matter to me. What I like about the modular is the ability to flip up when stopping for fuel or a stop light in hot weather. It boils down to personal preference. If you're not bothered by hot weather, the full face is likely a better choice.

Ride safe and enjoy!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I wear an HJC flip-up helmet and will never return to a full face helmet.

I wear glasses and have a wide (ok, fat) face and the flip-ups that fit me (HJC and Nolan) are the only helmets that I can wear my glasses and slip on the helmet. The FF helmets are too snug for me to slide the eyeglass arms into the helmet once I have it on.

As a touring rider, the flip up makes it easier to sip from the tube of a water pack while moving, easier to scratch your nose when it itches, and provides more cooling in hot weather when you have to slow down when riding through a town at low speed.

If you're concerned about the extra weight of flip-up helmets, check out the actual specs on Webbike World; they do excellent helmet reviews and describe the internal shape and weight of many brands, and,they've been doing it long before Revzilla and Fortnine existed. I have no affiliation with the website, but it's one I like and have recommended to many riding friends.

Tim

·
Registered
165 Posts
We had a neurologist speak to our motorcycle group (he rode also) and a couple of things he said is that it is fine to buy an expensive helmet, but more importantly was to have a good snug fit with no movement. He also said to replace it every 5 years as the foam looses flexibility.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I tried a Shoei Neotec modular for a year, and didn't find the modular feature useful, plus it "felt" heavy to me. The built-in sun shield was really nice though! The Neotec head shape was not the best fit, which to me is the critical factor to get right. I did try the Shoei Neotec ll in a shop, and that fit well.

We returned to Arai full face, trying the Quantum-X (too round) and the Signet-X (just right). Had to buy a thicker set of cheek pads to get it dialed in.

You didn't ask about age of helmet but I think its important. Check the manufactured date on your new helmet. I think Arai's policy of 7 years since date of manufacture or 5 years since start of service are good guidelines. I've seen helmets in shops recently that were made in early 2016. That's older than I'd like, unless it has a heavy discount to reflect its shortened service life.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Just as point of information you can mount a Sena 20S Evo on the Neotec II. A buddy of mine recently bought a new Neotec II and installed the 20S Evo he already had. It does mount further aft on the helmet than a 20S on my Neotec does but it does fit.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Just as point of information you can mount a Sena 20S Evo on the Neotec II. A buddy of mine recently bought a new Neotec II and installed the 20S Evo he already had. It does mount further aft on the helmet than a 20S on my Neotec does but it does fit.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts

Ive been wearing a Shoei GT Air for the last 5 years..it fits my head perfect and is the most comfortable helmet Ive ever had..love that its quiet and flows quite a bit of air with this 2018 wing...love the drop down sun visor and the paint and finish is second to none..Its going on 6 years of use now and I have been looking at new helmets myself. I tried the GT Air 2 on and it feels perfect on my head ..trouble is the headset. I want to reuse my Sena S20 Evo headset and the GT Air 2 requires you to spend another 300 dollars for the Sena headset made for it and its no better than the Sena S20 Evo that I already own...and then in 6 years when Im looking for another helmet Ill be in the same boat again...so...as much as I love the Shoei GT Air and really want the GT Air 2, I just think its a mistake to buy a helmet that requires a built for it headset....what if in a year or so there is a huge advancement in headsets...you cant clamp on a headset to the GT Air 2 like you can with the GT Air...sure you can clamp it on farther back on helmet but it doesnt look right....another feature that I dont like with the Sena built in headset for the Shoei GT Air 2...you can't charge and use it at the same time like you can with the Sena S20 Evo. Ive had to use that feature on every road trip when you are doing 10 to 12 hour days...anyways..just my thoughts.Im looking hard at the Shoei RF 1200 and the Shoei RF-SR ....really like the Shoei fit..but I really like the drop down sun visor too and these helmets dont have that feature.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Doc I have always tried on a helmet before I buy it. I am lucky that I live a little over an hour's ride from Iron Pony in Columbus, Ohio. They have on hand a HUGE (and I mean HUGE) amount of helmets. Rows upon rows of them.

I like modular since I like to go long distances. So being able to flip up and drink is important. Plus the itching nose has been covered. LOL Being able to flip up and talk with riding partner on other bikes without shouting is important.

As far as glasses, I wear the Air Force style helmet skins. Soaks up sweat and allows me to put the helmet on with my glasses still on.

I'll wait to buy when we can all get out again and I can try on the helmets. Bike is parked until the crisis is over.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have tried most all of them over the years and for the last 20 years I have settled on Shoei. Hard to beat their shield system. Currently have a GT air 2 and love it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
In my opinion, asking someone what helmet works for them is like asking someone what size shoe you should buy based on someone else's foot. Every head is different. I've found you need to figure out what features you want in a helmet and go try that one on. If it's modular, try on that companies modular helmet as sometimes the non-modular do not fit the same....

For me the most comfortable helmet I ever owned was my old Schuberth C2. I could (and have) worn that for 12 hours at a stretch. The C3 was never as comfortable for me as the C2 was, so I didn't keep it that long. I'm in a Shoei Neotec 2 now. I wish I would have waiting another year until they got rid of the D rings. The Schuberth had the quick release buckle and I loved that. Personally, I would buy another Shoei but it works for my head.

I do remember once being attracted by a Caberg modular until I read an article about one that was in an accident. The quote that stuck in my head was "The helmet exploded like a Christmas ornament". That was enough for me..

Helmets are pretty personal things. I had a friend who would only buy HJC helmets and personally I'm not fond of them. Perhaps price doesn't denote quality in a helmet, but the Schuberth/Shoei helmets I've owned have always been quality lids, but they aren't cheap. The one Nolan I had didn't "feel" as sturdy... If Arai made a modular, I'd certainly have a look.

Good luck. Figure out what you want and then go try that one on. Do not buy one without the ability to return it if you happen to mail order one....

·
Registered
369 Posts
I would normally agree with Wisocyclist, that it's fruitless to ask people what helmet they should buy, but the majority of responders have missed the OP's actual question: Should he switch from using a modular helmet to a fullface? Not which brand of helmet he should buy.

Tim

·
Registered
279 Posts
I would normally agree with Wisocyclist, that it's fruitless to ask people what helmet they should buy, but the majority of responders have missed the OP's actual question: Should he switch from using a modular helmet to a fullface? Not which brand of helmet he should buy.

Tim
Ahh.. I should read the original post better, however that one is a bit of personal preference as well. I don't think anyone can argue that a non-modular full face will provide some level of better protection than a modular. But I feel that a modular is better than any non-full face helmet at least. For me the convenience of a modular outweighs some level of better protection than a non-modular full face helmet.

I used regular full face helmets when I first start riding in my late teens, then when I resumed riding again in my late 40's (post kids) I returned to a regular full face helmet. Based on a conversation with my brother-in-law I went to a modular after a few years of riding with a regular full face and I don't think I could go back to a non-modular helmet. With my Schuberth I didn't even have to take off my glasses. With the Shoei I do, but not having to pull my helmet off every single time I stop makes it worthwhile to me.

Obviously, every ones level of comfort in terms of how well a helmet protects can vary, but I would have a hard time going back to a non-modular helmet. That being said, I personally wouldn't buy a cheap modular helmet.

Just my 2 cents...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts