GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been checking out the various helmets and how they size them. Right now we have HJC AC3's and Carols is a XS, mine is an XL.
She is 21 1/4 measurement around her head. I'm 23"
When I look at the Nolan sizes for the N100E it looks like I should have a L, and she should have a S.
Anyone have run into this with the way they size their helmets?
Don

·
Registered
1,304 Posts

Hi Don,
How ya doin?
Last summer Mikey and I were doing our best to replace our existing helmets. We spent a lot of time trying to find, I believe they were SZ/C Arai's that J&M was involved in the design of. It became so frustrating with Arai's new policies that we started looking a the Nolan Classic's. (N100E) I already had a N100 that I used when riding the ST or Blackbird, so I kinda had a feel for what they had to offer. To my surprize, when at our local dealer the N100E's fit so much different than the one I had it wasn't funny. The chin strap was much shorter and almost to the point of hurting, yet the fit of the helmet was good. Maybe it was just that one helmet I don't know, but I really would suggest what has been said many times before, "try it on before you buy"! There just seems to be too many variations that I would be afraid just to order. Had I had done that, and got the same helmet I tried on I wouldn't be very happy. I do think they make a nice helmet, and it has tested quite well with good reviews, but you need to make sure of that fit! I did have one concern as to how well the ear pockets were going to accept headsets, but that's when I had quit my job and we put that expense on hold for awhile.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Do not buy a helmet without trying it on first. All helmets are not shaped the same. Some are for round heads and some are for oval heads. There are even helmet for the inbetween heads. Some manufacturers have only one shape available. Others like Arai have three shapes.

We bought new helmets last year. We had been using Shoie RF700's for about 100,000 miles and were very happy with them. We figured to buy Shoie again, but when trying on the newer models we could not find any that we liked. After a lot of shopping we went for the Arai Signet GTX for me and Arai Quantum for my wife. We have used these now for about 20,000 miles and are happy with this choice.

So a couple of weeks ago I tried on Shoie's new RF1000(I think). Guess what? They changed the shape again and I love the way it fits. In fact I like it better than my Arai. Now I'm trying to justify getting another new helmet after all the $$$ I spent on the Arai's last year.

TRY ON A LOT OF DIFFERENT HELMETS BEFORE YOU BUY!!!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Do not buy a helmet without trying it on first. All helmets are not shaped the same. Some are for round heads and some are for oval heads. There are even helmet for the inbetween heads. Some manufacturers have only one shape available. Others like Arai have three shapes.

We bought new helmets last year. We had been using Shoie RF700's for about 100,000 miles and were very happy with them. We figured to buy Shoie again, but when trying on the newer models we could not find any that we liked. After a lot of shopping we went for the Arai Signet GTX for me and Arai Quantum for my wife. We have used these now for about 20,000 miles and are happy with this choice.

So a couple of weeks ago I tried on Shoie's new RF1000(I think). Guess what? They changed the shape again and I love the way it fits. In fact I like it better than my Arai. Now I'm trying to justify getting another new helmet after all the $$$ I spent on the Arai's last year.

TRY ON A LOT OF DIFFERENT HELMETS BEFORE YOU BUY!!!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We're going to the Toronto Motorcycle Show in January and will be looking to try diffrent helmets there. The reason I was looking at the Nolan was because they have Yellow. Thats what we want to get to match the bike.
Thanks everyone.
Don

·
Registered
188 Posts
Arai also have yellow. However they are next to impossible to buy. Me and the wife had to take a road trip to Sierra (350 miles one way) so we could try them on before buying. They are very nice helmets but Arai needs to get it's head out of their butts and find a better marketing practice.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Be happy you can get a fit.

My size is "bigger than anything we've got" at store after store.

Even with the HJC CL12 I had to pound the styrofoam down so much I doubt it will give me much protection in a crash. :cry:

edit:

You can see from my avatar that my poor son inherited my pumpkin head.

At least I made it through another Halloween. :p

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
helmet

I had 2 helmets that i was not satisfied with the fit, both had tight or hot spots. One is an HJC full face which i only wear in the winter months. The other is a nolan 100 classic yellow for a yellow bike. Take a basketball, let out the air. Place basketball inside the helmet inflate as necessary. Leave over night. This made both helmets extremely comfortable to wear, i was considering selling both of them.
JD :)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Nolan helmets

I wish you more luck with the Nolan helmets than my wife and I have had Don, as after trying on and then purchasing an open face for myself and a N100 ( and not a N100E ) for my wife, we both found them very uncomfortable after an hour or so of riding. Mine was so bad, I had to pull the liner back and trim some of the hard foam at the forehead area. I just purchased two HJC-AC3s and hope to have better luck in the comfort level after a prolonged ride. Again, good luck !

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Helmet sizing (no standard in sizing among brands....)

I have a Schuberth XXL and an Arrow Large. Both fit me about the same. I first bought the Schuberth as an XL and quickly had to replace it with the XXL. The XL I tried on was not on long enough to produce the headache that was its problem. That size rating set me up wrong when I bought the Arrow, getting XL. That one had to be traded because it was like sticking my head in a padded mop bucket. If at all possible, try on everything you are interested in and wear it for more than a couple of minutes. If you are doing mail order, be prepared to send one or two back for a different size.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Don Stefanik said:
I've been checking out the various helmets and how they size them. Right now we have HJC AC3's and Carols is a XS, mine is an XL.
She is 21 1/4 measurement around her head. I'm 23"
When I look at the Nolan sizes for the N100E it looks like I should have a L, and she should have a S.
Anyone have run into this with the way they size their helmets?
Don
Don, I ran into the same problem when I purchased a HJC AC-3 helmet. I normally take a Large. The HJC Large is too snug. The XL is fine, just like youl. I now have the AC-3 for sale in the Classifieds. It's a good helmet but runs small in size.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts