GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I read someone's description of speakers and mike that he placed in his helmet. I remember he had tried 3 or 4 brands before coming up with some that had truly wide frequency response and low distortion, but can't remember which kind nor where it was posted.
Is there a website that discusses this, or maybe a thread on this board?

Also, I refuse to pay $1000 for a CB when they can be had for $60 for cars. I'd like CB's as a backup, but prefer FRS or GMSR for their FM quality; yes I know the range is generally less. Is there consensus among riders about which type of radio and which channels riders use?

Eventually, I'd like to go with MP3 instead of CD, a cell phone holder, and of course, a mapping GPS unit.

Thanks,
AI_Nut

·
Registered
267 Posts
I replaced my Chatterbox speakers with the Labtec Elite 820 after doing research here. Simple job to desolder wires from the Chatterbox and solder the Labtec in their place (be sure to solder, do not cut the wires they are very tiny). Both the Chatterbox and labtec speakers come apart with screws. I ordered the Labtec 820 on line from CompUSA, under $15.00 a set. While I admit they are a bit too thick bringing them right up to your ear, there is a BIG difference in sound quality. I did not change the mic..no need for that.

I just bought and installed a CB from Hal. I first tried the handheld handlebar kit etc etc etc. The factory unit is the only way to go. I have bought very nice ham radio equipment for less. I agree it is alot of money to spend on a CB ($720.00 leaving you $280.00 for other goddies) but I always wanted one and I am not sorry I did it. Funny thing about spending money, once you bite the bullet and go for it the money issue seems to fade away. Besides, you only go around once.

My 2 cents

1 - 5 of 5 Posts