GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helmet storage problem solved!

Considering an improvement in helmet storage; these will now be stored indoors, rather than out in the garage.

While perusing various 'helmet stands', I ran across this at Amazon (of course...)

It's called a 'Helmet Hitch'.

Well, while working on another project recently, I saw this in the hardware aisle - I had my solution!

Solution - a handrail bracket - working weight 250 lbs when on a stud. So, I have little fear that this won't hold 5 lbs of helmet. $5.80 at the local big-box store.

Seems to be sitting on a good spot on the inside of the lid. There may be an opportunity to put a small piece of polystyrene on the arm as padding.

On the wall - and fairly high up, so heads don't get clobbered.

I need two more of these for a couple of other lids that are still useful. No, might not make it thru a 6.0 earthquake, but they're now out of the way and in a controlled environment.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I just keep all of mine on a high shelf in my walk in closet, during the winter. When riding season starts, I keep the two helmets that I use the most often in the garage with the bikes. But your solution is a good one and I would use it if I had wall space upon which to hang helmets.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Great idea. Much easier than the shelf idea.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Like the idea - but my only concern about hanging helmets in any way is the effect on the liner and foam inside the helmet, with 4-5 lbs constantly pushing against it - does it impact the crashworthiness in any way? This is the reason I keep mine sitting on a shelf.

·
Registered
230 Posts
This is what I have:
132-585_A_V1.jpg

Condor helmet hanger at J&P Cycles

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
My helmets hang on something similar to that Condor thing @BretC posted.

I like your idea @kwthom but think I'd go a step further and put a little piece of shaped wood on there to try to avoid wear and deformation of the liner. Or perhaps just of my nerves.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I tried the towel hooks I have in my bathroom and they work fantastic for the helmets. What a great idea. They are domed shaped with no sharp corners or edges

·
Registered
91 Posts
Like the idea - but my only concern about hanging helmets in any way is the effect on the liner and foam inside the helmet, with 4-5 lbs constantly pushing against it - does it impact the crashworthiness in any way? This is the reason I keep mine sitting on a shelf.
Could cut a slit in a tennis ball and slip it the over the the end of bracket to disperse the point load across a larger / softer surface area - would also keep edge of bracket from possibly snagging liner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts