GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with every helmet I buy, it fits everywhere except right above my forehead. It doesn't matter if I try a larger helmet it still puts pressure on the upper part of my forehead. It fits above my eyebrows but not where my forehead turns into scalp. I was wondering if anyone has ever used something to add a little extra room in one area of a helmet. I wear a XL. I have tried a XXL, but then it still is too tight on my forehead but now its too big everywhere else (weird). Round shaped helmets are out of the question, only extreme ovals.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
On one helmet I removed the liner and took a ball peen hammer and gently tapped the structural foam just enough to stop that pressure point.

Or you can carve it out a bit with a moto grinder.......just remove only what you need as the foam is what protects your noggin if you need it too.

·
IronMan
17,090 Posts
I HAVE HJC AND YOU CAN CHANGE OUT PADS HELMUT IS SAME DIFF, SIZED PADS CALL A HELMUT SHOP OR CHECK YOUR BRAND ON LINE LET SOME AIR OUT OF HEAD :eek:4::lol:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
You can take out the liner and mash or scape out a small bit of the EPS in the offending spot.
Go slow and do as little as possible. A little may be good but a lot isn't always better.
You may need to reconsider head shapes. A helmet you like may not be the best choice for you. Get the fit, then the options.
Cheers

·
Registered
300 Posts
Have always had the same problem, have removed foam under the pads, have bought helmets in size to large and added padding.
Within about an hour of riding I was wiggling the helmet on my head, sliding up for a while then back down, within 2 hours I left like throwing it the ditch and just motor away. Forehead looked like I had been hit with a hot iron felt like it too. I know why they call them hot spots.
Problem lies in that fact that I have a very oval head.
Went to the motorcycle show when it was in Chicago and tried on every helmet brand and style there. I prefer full face, no flip-ups
I am here to tell you that I found one I have worn for 4 hours straight never even loosening it, or taking it off.
No hot spot on the forehead, no pressure points like wearing a ball cap, only a little heavier.
The Arai Signet Q is the longest oval helmet in the industry.
Got fitted at the show, mine is an XL one step down on the skull pad, they did not have the color I wanted so they shipped it to me.
It was the most money I have ever spent on a helmet, but to be able wear it for long periods with no irritation well worth it.
Alan

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I know folks are getting tired of seeing me post this, but apparently your head is oval not round. Your problem is you are trying to cram a non-flexible oval object into a non-flexible round hole. Something has to give! Most Americans have an oval head, I am told, but most helmets are made for round heads. Why? I dont know. Find an oval shaped helmet and your head will stop hurting plus you will be a LOT SAFER with a helmet that matches the shape of your head.

Next, when you find an oval shaped helmet, make certain it is not too large. Yes, a larger helmet my be comfortable to you, but if it moves around on your head, it could come off in a crash or spin around causing damage.

I know this because I too was doing the same thing, I have a slightly oval head but the helmets I was purchasing were round. I would beat the front of the interior in to try and make it fit. This is not good because that material is there to compress when you have an accident to absorb shock.

·
Love The DCT
11,324 Posts
When you start compressing or removing some of the EPS liner, you are compromising its intended function in an accident. :doorag:

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
The best option I've founded this: a simple little foot callus shaver that can be found at any drug store for about $5.00

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-callus/corn-shaver/ID=prod3984758-product

Once you peel back the fabric liner, this will allow you to shave a little bit of the foam away without hacking chunks out of it.

Shave a little off, and try it out. If you need a little more, shave a bit more off until it fits just right.

·
Registered
626 Posts
My nolan n42 hurt my forehead. I took a dremel and a cone shaped grinder and took material out of the front of the helmet. It also hurt my ears with the speakers in, so I cut out holes for the entire ear in the side and it feels good now. My wife asked what was I doing to that helmet, I told her I was performing surgery.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Within about an hour of riding I was wiggling the helmet on my head, sliding up for a while then back down, within 2 hours I left like throwing it the ditch and just motor away. Forehead looked like I had been hit with a hot iron felt like it too. I know why they call them hot spots.
Problem lies in that fact that I have a very oval head.
The Arai Signet Q is the longest oval helmet in the industry.
It was the most money I have ever spent on a helmet, but to be able wear it for long periods with no irritation well worth it.
Alan
i have tried Shoei Neotec, Scorpion Exo, and Arai RxQ. I currently have a Schuberth C3, which I really like, except for the 120 mile headache (shorter rides, it is great, longer rides I'm ready to toss it). I've tried the Signet Q, and I think I'm going to buy it. I have a LOT invested in the Schuberth, and it has every feature I want, but it does not fit my head. The Arai Signet Q feels great in the store for 20 minutes, but then so did the Schuberth. At this point, I am gun-shy, as I've spent so much. But I won't ride without a helmet, and the torture of a wrong-shaped helmet limits my range.

So I think the Signet Q is on tap for me (it feels really comfortable - Arai Comfortable(tm) - in the store). I am also considering the eps shaving idea to perhaps make the Schuberth work, but if I do this and it doesn't work, I cannot sell in good conscience sell it to recoup investment.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I will try all the suggestions. The last being the Aria. I'll let you know how things work out.
Save yourself some time, and just go with the Arai. I had the exact same problem, and the Arai Profile(now discontinued) was the solution for me. I believe the Arai Signet is the replacement.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Save yourself some time, and just go with the Arai. I had the exact same problem, and the Arai Profile(now discontinued) was the solution for me. I believe the Arai Signet is the replacement.
In addition, Arai has a LOT more pad options than any other manufacturer so you can change the way the helmet fits on your head.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts