GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys i take a soccerball and let the air out put it in the helmet and pump it up for a weak works 100%

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
I've seen people do a lot of things to try to get a helmet that does not fit to fit. A lot of them mentioned in this thread. The liner is the most critical protection of the helmet, and any alterations to it compromise your safety. I've bought some very nice helmets throughout the years that I simply could not wear. Its important to select a helmet that fit your head and is the proper shape and size. The liner is what absorbs the impact, compressing it or shaving it away, renders the liner ineffective. IMO. It took me awhile and a few helmet to get it right, but when you do, you will know the difference.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
I have a problem with every helmet I buy, it fits everywhere except right above my forehead. It doesn't matter if I try a larger helmet it still puts pressure on the upper part of my forehead. It fits above my eyebrows but not where my forehead turns into scalp. I was wondering if anyone has ever used something to add a little extra room in one area of a helmet. I wear a XL. I have tried a XXL, but then it still is too tight on my forehead but now its too big everywhere else (weird). Round shaped helmets are out of the question, only extreme ovals.
Yes take liner out and pinpoint the pressure and grind it down a little. Also you can inflate a ball inside and put some object at the pressure point and air the ball up and leave it a few days until it fits better.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have a problem with every helmet I buy, it fits everywhere except right above my forehead. It doesn't matter if I try a larger helmet it still puts pressure on the upper part of my forehead. It fits above my eyebrows but not where my forehead turns into scalp. I was wondering if anyone has ever used something to add a little extra room in one area of a helmet. I wear a XL. I have tried a XXL, but then it still is too tight on my forehead but now its too big everywhere else (weird). Round shaped helmets are out of the question, only extreme ovals.
Jbosey referenced the Oval vs Round shape of the head. He's right. Go to the Revzilla website and look at helmets. If you click on any of the helmets the description page will show the the helmet shape. Many of the helmets, like HJC, are Intermediate Oval shape. If you try to wear a Round Helmet, you will get headaches at the pressure points.

Cycle Gear has a good selection of helmets and you can buy at their store or their website. If you get the right helmet shape, your fitting problems will be over.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
I think most of us at one time have had a helmet that wasn't the right fit. I bought a very beautiful Bell fill up helmet one time and went on a trip without riding with it locally enough before the trip....what a mistake...my forehead was killing me for 2000 miles and it took 5 hours for the red slot on my forehead to go away after I took off that helmet...after that experience I did my homework before buying my current helmet....turns out all the helmets that I had on the shelf were one size too large and one was two sizes too large.....all the years I have been riding I have been wearing a size large when I was really a med...I learned I have a intermediate oval head and so I researched helmets that were made for that shape ...my med size Shoei GT Air is the best fitting and most comfortable helmet I've ever had....I've done 15 hour days and never even think about the helmet.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Try rolling a golf ball on the tight spot and apply a little pressure while rolling it Thats what i did and it worked for me
I've used the golf ball method to relieve hot spots on several helmets. The EPS liner will give enough if your problem is in one or two specific areas.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hmmmmmmm? Me wonders if you could wrap your head with wax paper and sleep with your helmet on for a few days, kinda like when you buy a new holster and your gun fits too tight in it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the same problem. The best solution is to invest in an oval shaped Arai helmet. You're riding a $20K+ machine, you should be able to pop for a $600+ helmet. Since Arai doesn't make an oval half helmet, I put a hat stretcher in my Scorpion halfie when I'm not using it. I've been doing this for almost a year now and the Scorpion STILL starts to give me hot spots after an hour. That never happens with the Arai, so I pretty much wear it all the time now.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
The Elephant in the room seems to be the best solution would be to buy the helmet that fits you.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts