GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:joke:I"m getting closer to buying, maybe a week away now finally..

I'm sure helmets are like trike kits, everybody likes theirs the best, but seriously. Been away from bikes for quite a while.

I'm looking for helmet for me and wife, will probably do separate headsets to plug in. Suggestions on what to stay away from brand wise, full face vs. open face, what is good to go with and most important, reputable places to buy from. Forget local, I don't do much due to attitudes around here.

Any ideas are really appreciated.

WannaBe

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
You really need to go to a good dealer that has a lot of different brands of helmets and try them on. Helmets are different shapes, just as heads and if someone loves one helmet, it might not fit you or your wife. Helmets should fit well and be comfortable, if not you won't be comfortable. Any DOT and Snell approved helmet will be well made, it is just up to you which style you are comfortable with.

After you find one you like and fits you, go online and find one to buy. HDL, our sponsor, sells a good variety of helmets.

·
Registered
263 Posts
As you've already stated, it's a matter of opinion.
I've owned HJC, Scorpion and Shoei, and in my opinion, the Shoei is far superior in quality, fit and finish. I have a RJ Platinum 3/4-type helmet and a RF-1000 full face.
Hal is great to deal with and he has a sale on right now.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Helmets

Great suggestions already. I really haven't ridden much in the last twenty years, my kids Yamaha Vstar, brother in laws harleys sometimes.

When I did ride in the late '60-early '80's, there was Bell Helmets and not much else sold. I know things have changed since then dramatically. That's why I ask the questions.

I do appreciate everyones ideas. Experience goes a long way.

thanks Again

·
Registered
574 Posts

·
Canuck
2,824 Posts
After seeing posted pics of people's faces after accidents while wearing an open-faced helmet, I've gone to modular. I have a Zox, but don't care for the fit, noise, etc. I'm also looking right now, and FWIW, I've narrowed it down to Schuberth (probably the best, but difficult to insert headset & boom mike; also expensive), Nolan 103 and Shoei Multi-Tech. Fourth is HJC Symax, but it doesn't fit my head well. I've also heard good things about Caberg Trip, but haven't seen one yet.

Webbikeworld.com has lots of info on m/c helemts http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

Agree with the above posters who suggest going to a good dealer who handles a lot of makes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts