GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hate to start a new thread as I know there's several in the archives. However, I can't find them. Wife is wanting a new helmet and I'm looking for suggestions. If you can steer me towards one of the old threads, or provide some valuable insight on a helmet, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
What type full face, modular, 3/4? I got my wife a Shoei Neotec for christmas and she likes it very well.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
A modular helmet in WHATEVER BRAND fits her correctly! I've tried on many, many helmets; none fit as well as what I now wear-- I dread ever having to replace it....

·
Registered
247 Posts
If I had my first choice or cost wasn't an issue I'd do the neotech however if you are looking for a good alternative I'd suggest this. For the quality and money it's hard to beat. It's most likely heavier than the neotech but for the money I think you'd be hard pressed to find the same value at that pricepoint in any other helmet with similar features.

http://www.compacc.com/p/gmax-gm54-helmets-modular-street-solids

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've used many helmets but for the comfort, fit & money to me HJC is your very best bet. Also very good quality.

2,732 Posts
Only way to buy a helmet

The only way to be sure to get a helmet that fits is to go to a helmet store, try them on, wear your choice around the store for a minimum of 1/2 hour, then reward the dealer by buying it AT HIS STORE BECAUSE HE WAS GOOD ENOUGH TO CARRY A DECENT INVENTORY.

The bold type is there on purpose. A good mid priced helmet should be in the $150 to $250 range. I have a Scorpion modular and would not trade it for any other helmet regardless of price. Good luck on your choice, a helmet that hurts or doesn't fit is useless and a waste of money because it won't be worn.

I bought a Nolan but it killed my ears so it now sits on the shelf collecting dust. This experience is where my above advice comes from. Well over $300 invested in a helmet that is worthless to me.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I've used many helmets but for the comfort, fit & money to me HJC is your very best bet. Also very good quality.
I agree with the good quality, good price, but HJC does not fit my head. The most "painful" helmet I have ever purchased...fit is everything, money is second.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just purchased the Shark Evoline ST3 modular. I have only had the opportunity to ride with it on for a little over an hour but I have to say I'm pretty impressed. I have worn a Scorpion full face for the last four years and this Shark fits just as well as the Scorpion and maybe better as it breaks in. its a little pricey but the option of open or full face is pretty neat.

·
Registered
367 Posts
If I had my first choice or cost wasn't an issue I'd do the neotech however if you are looking for a good alternative I'd suggest this. For the quality and money it's hard to beat. It's most likely heavier than the neotech but for the money I think you'd be hard pressed to find the same value at that pricepoint in any other helmet with similar features.

Thank you MoorheadWingFan. Just checked out the link that you provided for the OP, since I've been looking for a helmet that might have less wind noise than my current helmet. After watching the video on the website, I was convinced to order one. The helmet looks like it's quite a deal at that price. Just hope it arrives before I leave on my up coming cross country trip in early July.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Helmet

I have always worn an open face helmet and liked them. But, I decided I wanted more protection in the face area, in case of a face plant accident. So, I went to the store and tried on a few helmetns and ended up purchasing it from the dealer. The helmet I purchased was a modular Nolan n104 helmet. It has a large shield/face opening and I leave the shield in the up position most of the time. It's like having an open face helmet, with the large opening, I can only see just the sides of the face opening when open, which I like very much. The helmet is not to heavy as helmet weights go. I never get any neck stiffness or soreness. But....helmets are a personal choice, so make sure you get the one you like best, same as boots or riding clothes. Dave B Denver

·
Registered
207 Posts
Arai makes the best comfort/ acoustic helmet for my round head.
This Canyon Dancer has good advice that could save you money by getting the right helmet the first time.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I find Arai is made for an elongated head. I have to put extra foam in the top for a good fit. My Shoei fits perfectly on my round head. Both should be order larger than you normally use unless you already tried one on. Both are excellent quality.;)

·
Registered
305 Posts

I second looking at Gmax! I have two and they are the most comfortable helmets I have owned. In addition I have a Fulmer modular which I like but the ventilation is poor and in hot country I find myself using the Gmax units....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Proper fit is the most important thing to consider before choosing the brand you like. Go to a local shop and try some helmets.

·
Registered
154 Posts
As stated in several of the prior threads, your head shape and comfort is the deciding factor. Don't get in a big hurry on the purchase, go to several dealers and try them on, see what fits correctly ( an XL from vendor is a L in another) and doesn't have pressure points like around the forehead or the ear area. Do you where glasses to see, make sure the helmet isn't to tight on the ears, to push on the glasses arms. With glasses it can be a bit tricky, what feels comfortable for 5 minutes while test fitting maybe miserable after an hour with head heat build up. Do you just wear sunglasses, may want to see if the a helmet with an internal sun screen is a option for you. I use several helmets based on what I'm ride, and the commo setups for them:

HJC SP-16 Full face, carry on my ST1300 bag a clear shield for night and dark tint for day riding ( No sunglasses) Shield pops on and off very easily and they aren't that expensive to replace

GL1800 - Shoei NeoTech ( Has built in sun screen, modular, vents will . )

Once you find a couple of helmets you like , do some internet research on them. How well do they vent, how expensive are replacement shields, what issues have others had with them. Can you get different size liners and cheek pads if you wanted to go less room or more room ( both helmets above have replacement check pads avail) .

Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Hate to start a new thread as I know there's several in the archives. However, I can't find them. Wife is wanting a new helmet and I'm looking for suggestions. If you can steer me towards one of the old threads, or provide some valuable insight on a helmet, I'd appreciate it.
You might be ahead to take a short ride to Smithville, MO to Motorcycle Closeouts in Smithville, MO. They have a good selection of various brands of helmets and will order if they don't have what you want in stock. They are on US 169 just south of town on the east side. www.motorcyclecloseouts.com

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Recon228 says Arai is for round heads while Crossbowme finds they fit elongated heads. Go to Arai's website. Different lines of their helmets have different fits. I have an ELONGATED noggin. The only helmet I can wear without cutting foam out of the forehead area is an Arai Signet (used to be Profile series). They don't make flip front helmets. Mine is a full face and it is the MOST comfortable helmet I have ever put on my head. I can wear it ALL DAY with no problems. Changing shields takes a bit of practice but it's a snap when you master it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. Currently she has a HJC modular but not really satisfied with it. I know a full face would be quieter but I'm afraid she'd feel confined and get tired of that too. Looks like the best advice is to take her to a couple shops to try some on. I know she needs to wear one for awhile, but not being able to take it on road test still means it's somewhat of a crap shoot.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thank you MoorheadWingFan. Just checked out the link that you provided for the OP, since I've been looking for a helmet that might have less wind noise than my current helmet. After watching the video on the website, I was convinced to order one. The helmet looks like it's quite a deal at that price. Just hope it arrives before I leave on my up coming cross country trip in early July.
I'm curious if you got the helmet and your thoughts. I've been using mine now for about a month and it's a good helmet. I have no complaints for a helmet at this price point.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts