GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a dark tinted strip that applies over a clear shield it is suppose to be UV coated ... can't find the web site that handles it.
Thxs, Mike ... 8)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thats the one !!! Have you had any Experience with the Sun Blocker. Looking for any feed back. Will be applying it to a Arai - SZ/M
Thanks for the info !!!
Mike

G

·
0 Posts
Re: Thanks

Nite Owl said:
Thats the one !!! Have you had any Experience with the Sun Blocker. Looking for any feed back. Will be applying it to a Arai - SZ/M
Thanks for the info !!!
Mike
I don't own one nor know anyone who does, I ran across that site one day and bookmarked it. :yw1:

G

·
0 Posts
I just bought one. Initial impressions are not favorable. It showed up in a rain soaked envelope in regular mail and had separated from the backing material. It had jsut been stuffed loose in the envelope. The diecut shape does not match my Arai helmet vents very well at all. The optical quality of the product is pretty bad. Whatever base vinyl material they used was obviously not a "clarity grade" product. It's kind of a cloudy/murky green color reminicent of cheap sunglasses from the 60's. The green tinting is not very dark and I'm frankly questioning how well it will work. :(

This product comes with a 90 day money back guarantee so I thought I'd give it the old college try. It's been raining here in Hoosierville so I've not had a good chance to give it a fair evaluation. For the $17.00 ($16.95 with "shipping") that it cost me I predict I'll be sending it back.

I don't want to poison anybody's mind here. I may have got a bad one. Just my $0.02

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
$15.95!?!?!

I bought one at the Hoot for $3.50. It is the same type of product, and does the same thing... but for a lot less.

I still have one in its packaging at home. I'll post the manufacturer when I can. I wish I could remember which vendor I bought it from.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I bought two of them at a Rally for around $3-$4 ea.

I like them in the fall and winter months when it seems like the sun is low on the horizon all of the time. While riding with some friends last fall, one rider on a trike riding into the sun went off the road in a turn (no one hurt just small damage to the bike) I started using mine after that.

Just stick it on the face shield. For the price it is well worth the money.

Someone posted that they went to Walmart and bought sun shield for their can and cut of a couple strips.

G

·
0 Posts
A note to all -

I had a conversation a little earlier this afternoon with Pete at Helmetsunblocker about the concerns I raised above. I guess he monitors the group as he asked if it was me calling! He offered some reasonable explanations and encouraged me to try the product on the road prior to making up my mind. As this was my plan anyway I told him I would, and report back to the group with my honest appraisal, which I will.

Come on sunshine.............

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sun Downer

We have a coulple of these that we use on our helmets. They are the vinyl type. I have used the same ones for about 3 years and they do a reasonable job. I position it across the top of the faceshield above normal view level, so I normally do not look through the strip.

When I am riiding into a low sunrise or sunset I just tilt my head down and look through the strip. It is dark enough to make a difference in those conditions.

They come off and go ealisy and I just clean them with Plexus when I clean the face shields.

Works good for the $3.95 price.

http://www.americanroadrider.com Select SunDowner

JayTex

G

·
0 Posts
OK folks,

I did a quick hundred mile run this morning with the new helmet sun blocker. It was installed in an Arai Signet GTR Helmet with a clear face shield. True to my word, I offer this objective evaluation:

Installation

At Pete's suggestion, I reinstalled the tinted strip using distilled water and dish soap mixed to a "slippery" consistancy. It was suggested that this would minimize the bubbles that would form between the film and the helmet visor. It was an improvement but bubbles still formed even after the air was "squeegied" out from under the film with a cloth. (More on this later.) The film was easy to position and stayed in place after it was allowed to dry.

Function

A little background first. I have very light sensitive eyes. I wear prescription polarized sunglasses to drive or ride even on overcast days. For the purpose of this evaluation I went with my normal prescription "indoor" glasses. It was overcast today but we had periods of bright sky. At no time was I able to judge the performance of the product in direct, bright, low angle sunlight; but I think I was able to form a reasonable opinion none the less.

The above said, the strip seemed to work pretty well. The shaded area was above my normal sight line and shaded the light coming into the helmet. While it didn't have the same impact as an opaque visor, it was effective. During an especially bright period when I was riding directly in to the sun filtering through the clouds it worked well enough that I didn't need to pull over and put on my sunglasses. I think that when combined with my normal sunglasses it will work well even on really bright days.

Gripes

The die cut shape doesn't match the Arai helmet vents very well. Pete suggested it could be stretched to fit better. It can't. For the price I paid this should fit perfectly, especially in light of the $3.00 to $4.00 versions that are available from his competition.

The quality of the film is lacking a bit in my opinion. The surface has occasional "pits" that are admittedly REALLY small, but that's where the bubbles form. The good news is that you can't see these from inside the helmet while riding as the strip is inside your focal distance. From the outside it's pretty noticeable though. The dispersion of the colorant is not as uniform as it could be either. I stand by the original "cloudy/murky green" comment above. Pete suggested this was "by design" and it was intended to diffuse the light filtering through it. While I guess this is a plausable explanation, I ain't buying it. I contract the molding of over 2,000,000# of plastics a year and about half goes into products that are designed to diffuse light. Uniform color dispersion and light diffusion are not mutually exclusive, even in extruded film.

Summary

This is a pretty good product. It seems to function well, but based on the level of quality that it communicates to the buyer it's somewhat overpriced. I'm sure I'll keep it, but if I'd had the chance to look at it prior to purchase, I probably wouldn't have bought it.

Ye Olde Disclaimer

I am a detail oriented engineering type who serves some of the most demanding customers you can imagine in an extremely competitive market. In my world the quality gripes I raised above would get my products rejected and the price would lose me the business. I am a nightmare customer to many because I expect from my suppliers what my customers expect from me. (Manufacturing is not for the squeamish.) Most people are not as critical as I am and will no doubt find this product a decent value based on the function alone.

Nighty night from Hoosierville...................

·
Registered
60 Posts
while not an add on strip, my wife has had good luck with a product called the Super Visor. it clips onto the face shield as well as having an adhesive. i know it will stay on up to at least 115 mph. it's great around sunrise or sundown. saw it in an ad in Rider or Cycle World. just another possibility, and more solid than a mylar strip.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
We just put a couple of strips of electrical tape across the top inside of our shields. It's out of our line of site but low enough to block the light.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Because I use a 3/4 helmet without a face shield, have found the extended visor helps a lot at sunrise/sunsets. Wingstuff.com, look under helmet acc. , it is the J&M vh800 visor $13.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts