GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leslie and I took a rather lengthy trip last year, riding from Rigby, Idaho, to Packwood, Washington and back, covering a total of 1800 miles. Most days our ride time was two or three hours, others were eight or nine. Toward the end of the longer days, I started having pain in my neck and shoulders. It finally dawned on me that the weight of my helmet was causing the strain. Fast forward, I've been considering going to a half helmet for those times when we'll be on the road for an extended period of time. I currently use a HJC modular helmet and like it, and the protection it provides, but I can't deal with the weight.

That being said, what helmets do you use, no matter what style, and are there lighter versions that might keep me in a Modular as opposed to going to a helmet that provides less protection? Thanks

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
You may want to look into a neck brace or support made for racing when wearing helmets. Simpson racing makes them. A buddy of mine carries one and uses it occasionally on longer days.

I pay attention to helmet weight when in the market for them. I compare weights of helmets with all the electronics installed. I ended up riding with a Shuberth C4 with integrated Bluetooth for full protection. Nice overall package.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Do you have room to throw in a half helmet for the last few hours of the longer rides? I actually have a full face and a modular for colder weather and when using bluetooth. Most of the time in the summer it's a half helmet or sometimes no helmet. Be warned it takes a while to get used to the full face again after wearing the half helmet.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bullet Bob, thanks, that's a great link with very good information. It explains a lot. My helmet appears to fall in between 3 1/2 lbs and just over 4 lbs, which explains why my neck hurt.

Zee Fifty, the neck brace idea may be worth looking into, thanks.

gulfrider, Yeah, I've got room for a spare helmet on board. This is what my youngest brother does, wears the half helmet and carries the full size in case it rains.

My younger brother uses the Bell Pit Boss, but I find the adjustable neck strap rubs my neck and is a bit stiff. I looked at the HJC's with a bill and the sun screen, those may be the ticket unless I can find something similar that fits better. I'm replacing my headsets anyway, so this may be a good time.

Reactions: gulfrider

·
Registered
526 Posts
I switched from a Shoei Neotec to a Bell Mag 9.

3/4 lb doesn't sound like a lot but the Mag 9 sure feels a lot lighter, less claustrophobic and better vision.

Hopefully I won't have to test the safety difference.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
I normally wear a HJC half helmet with the pull down visor.
No problems with the weight.
I wanted to make up a helmet with a camera mount to do
videos on the road and I didn't want to modify my HJC.
I had an old fiberglass 3/4 helmet here that someone gave
me. So I used that and mounted my tiny camera on it.
I only used it a few times because that thing gave me such
a sore neck from the weight!! The camera only weighed a few
ounces. Most of the weight was from that old helmet itself.
But I'm sure that adding the camera didn't help any.
Boy, what a difference between that and my HJC!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I wear a LS2 Helmets Rebellion Unisex-Adult Half Helmet Motorcycle Helmet. Bought it on Amazon Flat black but they do come in colors and it has a drop tinted shield. Mine is also set up with an Edset headset so I can use the CB.

Reactions: gulfrider

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Some helmets distribute there weight better than others for example a lighter helmet may still irradiate your neck shoulder ect Wheres a heavier helmet with good good weight distribution wont :thumbup:

·
Registered
236 Posts
My wife and I both use Arai Ram III, 3/4 face helmets. They are both light and allow great vision. We can wear them all day with no problems. I have several full face, modulars and the 3/4 Arai. Always go back to the comfort of the Arai 3/4 when riding my wing and my full face on my sport bike. Sometimes you will have to sacrifice the protection for the comfort.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I think for now, I'm going to get another HJC IS-33. That's the same helmet my wife uses, she's very sensitive to things that cause discomfort, and she's had no complaints. This helmet also gives me many options which I like, such as the sun visor, the ability to have a full face shield if we hit rain, and the face shield can be removed and replaced with a bill. I've already found a Hondaline headset, so it will match the other helmets. And, I found it to be quite a bit lighter than the Modular.

·
Registered
941 Posts
My wife has been having neck issues. Says the Shoei Qwest weight is aggravating it. Local dealer has some Klim Karbon full face helmets. Medium is supposed to be under 3lbs. It was really light. We liked the idea of Transition s face shields.
Mediums seem to be so sold out everywhere.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, Momma made Daddy a happy camper! Funds fell right and I'll pick up a new Klim TK 1200 modular this week. These are insanely light, barely over the 2lb mark. charleetho, if your wife still needs or wants a Klim medium, they have this same helmet still available in mat white, medium, on the Klim.com web site. If you select it, because it's a non-current color scheme, the price is $359 instead of $599. Take look at their VIP program. If you fit in one of the categories, fill out the form and submit it. They'll email you once it's processed, and for military at least, they provide a 30% discount. Mine will wind up costing me $268 OTD. If all goes well, I'll have a new EdSet installed and ready for this years bike trip around the Northwest. That will be the real test, 2600 miles in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Well, I think for now, I'm going to get another HJC IS-33. That's the same helmet my wife uses, she's very sensitive to things that cause discomfort, and she's had no complaints. This helmet also gives me many options which I like, such as the sun visor, the ability to have a full face shield if we hit rain, and the face shield can be removed and replaced with a bill. I've already found a Hondaline headset, so it will match the other helmets. And, I found it to be quite a bit lighter than the Modular.

I am a wearer of the HJC IS-33 also. I hAVE used HJC helmets for years. I find them very comfortable and have the option of using the peak visor, no peak visor, full face clear shield with sun visor combo. And the price is affordable too. I have tried the full face helmet but I can't see out of it well from the sides, and I have to have good peripheral vision to feel safe.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Well, Momma made Daddy a happy camper! Funds fell right and I'll pick up a new Klim TK 1200 modular this week. These are insanely light, barely over the 2lb mark. charleetho, if your wife still needs or wants a Klim medium, they have this same helmet still available in mat white, medium, on the Klim.com web site.
We ended up getting her a TK 1200 from Revzilla with the closeout pricing. We went with a large and it fits great. She used it on a 9 day ride to Glacier and back this July. She is very pleased.

I took advantage of the VIP program and got myself a new Klim Jacket. I like my new Latitude

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Picked up the new Klim TK1200 in matt black this afternoon. Awesome helmet, the Transition visor kicks pahooky!!! Still pretty warm being closed in, but the vent allows a tremendous amount of air to pass over my head, greatly improving things. I'm going to go with this is a "10"! New EdSet gets installed tonight. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Have your wife rub your neck and shoulders as you are riding!!

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have your wife rub your neck and shoulders as you are riding!!
Been there, done that. After 8 hours on the bike, the HJC wasn't having it. :wink2: The up side with the Klim, I went from a helmet weighing almost 4lbs to one weighing closer to 2lbs. Life's good!

Reactions: mwinfidel

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the EdSets installed last night and did a couple rides to check everything out. Found there to be a little to little space in the speaker pockets in the helmets liner, causing the speakers to rub my ears just a bit. This evening I added some depth to those pockets (and no, there is nothing natural about cutting on a $600 helmet), maybe an 1/8", and the speakers fit perfectly. No rubbing on the ears=no discomfort=a much more pleasant ride. The sound quality with these is pretty good. I also installed the chin curtain this evening, so a ride in the morning will tell if it helps with road noise. I tried the ear pads, but found they just created to much pressure against my ears, leaving them burning, so those will set on the shelf. They even sent a pin lock shield for the Transition shield, which got put in place. We're rolling out for about 17 days on the road this weekend, so I'm thinking the helmet is ready. 17 days will tell if I chose wisely. :wink2:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Congratulations on the new lid!

I didn't see it mentioned, and maybe you're already considered it, but another cause of neck and shoulder pain can be the reach to the bars. Handlebar risers can sometimes make an immense difference. Either way, enjoy the new helmet!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts