GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I don't think I mentioned it here, but yes, I installed a set of MBL risers a while back. They helped quite a bit, but on really long days, the HJC's weight still took it's toll on my neck. The combination of lighter helmet and the risers should make a huge difference overall......at least I hope.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yes, MR the risers are the answer to the neck pinch. My 1984 GW never did this pinch but the heavier helmets were tiring. 2002 GW didn't pinch either but had gone to lighter helmets. First trip on 2012 my neck was screaming especially after a near record for me 885 mile day. The seat on 2012 was slightly back, I think, from '02 and caused the problem identified on this site as 'Honda pinch'! After installing risers and going to even lighter open faced Shoei Platinum R helmets no pinch/pain.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Time to get off my keester and update. We did 3472 miles in 15 days, with only one instance when my neck hurt a little. That day we spent almost 9 hours on the bike and had a couple stressful moments, beyond that the Klim was awesome. I love the Klim, but I may still pick up a Shoei RJ Platinum for those days where it's just to hot for a full face.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thinking of getting one of these helmets also.
Only concern before ordering one is it noisy?
I currently use a HJC CN-5 and it is a 3/4 type.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Try a half police helmet from seer. They are located in Colorado. I rode up there to their operation and was given a tour of their facility. I ordered one on the spot, even got the one made out of carbon fiber very light more expensive material,. You don't even feel it on your head. I wear the shoie neotech and my neck also feels it on longer days. When i start feeling pain in my neck i just rotate my head a little upward to change the muscles that are holding your head up and seems to work.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The HJC is getting a second chance. There are many reasons a helmet just doesn't feel right, and the HJC always felt good, but a little loose. I replaced the 22mm cheek pads with a set of 27mm pads, and now it feels awesome. There's nice even pressure surrounding my head and face now. I wore it around the house for a while, it not only felt like a completely different helmet, but even felt lighter. I love my KLIM, but the HJC may get the nod for our local excursions once again. My wife is thrilled as well, now our helmets match again. ?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts