GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After selling my 1500 and buying a new 1800, I'm in the market for new helmets and communication cords. I'm leaning toward a modular helmet as I wear glasses and I see some advantage to that type of helmet. Previously I had a 3/4 helmet and JM cords. I've read a lot of conflicting reviews of helmets and gear and would appreciate your insights into helmet type, connecting cords, and ability to integrate intercom with helmets. Thanks.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Did you do a search on helmets and headsets? If not, try it, there have been a lot of threads dicsussing the choices and you'll read many opinions. I have the J&M with a Nolan N41, but not my favorite.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Cansider the Caberg Justissimo FX modular helmet. Like the Nolan it too has a separate sun shield. But on this helmet the sun shield is inside of the face shield and retracts into the helmet's shell. So you can use it with the face shield open. It has a removable, washable liner and is quite comfortable. It costs $284 delivered in Titanium from this site: http://www.classiccruiser.com/product.asp?item=483568

As for headsets, that depends on how you will be using them (voice only, audio only or both) and personal preference. I have Edsets, which have great audio quaility and are reasonably priced ($169) but require a lot more power to drive the speakers than others and aren't compatible with other brands that your passenger may be wearing. My wife's helmet is equipped with a J&M and I can barely hear her through the intercom with the intercom volume at it's highest level. Of course if you're riding solo or your passenger will also use Edsets it won't be an issue.

J&M's top heaset is good but pricey, around $250 with lower cord. They have others that are cheaper.

Air Rider headsets aren't too bad and cost $199.

Then there's IMC for $80. They have a thin flexible speaker and would easily mount in any helmet but I'm have no knowledge of their audio quaility. I don't know if that speaker can handle the higher volume needed at highway speeds.

I don't think I'd recommend the Chatterbox (HJC) headsets. Most of those I know that have bought them don't like them.

The best thing to do is to go to a rally where all these vendors are represented and try them out. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
First, your 1500 setup will fit on the 1800. Just plug it in.

Second, modular headsets are great news for us spectacle wearers. Open up the front to put them on, and you can leave your glasses perched on your nose. But you cannot compare them with the 3/4 helmets - different animals. A comparison with a full face is possible, and the modulars will be as good as, but never quieter.

I have 4 modular (flip front) helmets - all in pairs. First was a Zeus, pretty poor quality. Second was a Vega, and a good value helmet, not the greatest, but not expensive, and had built in pockets for the earphones. Next was a Nolan N100 with J&M clamp-less headset, decent combo, and very satisfactory for me. Currently wearing a SyMax by HJC with a clamp-on J&M and like it better than the others, makes about the same noise as a Nolan, but better ventilation and latch working mechanism. Nolan has a better chin strap - no double d-rings.

As far as headsets, I have stayed with J&M for the last 20 years. They work for me, been around awhile, and I have had good luck with their customer service. I just won't argue with success. I do prefer their clampless model - the clamps are not there to rub and hang up on the coat collar.

Thats my two bits worth.....

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Trying KBC Tour Com 3/4 and Scorpion full face with Air Rider sys...not installed yet...will see!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I have the J&M basic headset, their 'best' headset, and an IMC headset. For sonic quality, the IMC beats the pants off the J&M. With all 3, it is *critical* that you get the speakers placed correctly over the ears.

That said, I had to change to the Shure E2c earbuds because for my head, the Justissimo helmet is extremely noisy. Wind noise made my ears ring for 2 days after just a 4 hour ride with the regular speakers.

David M.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts