GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious - In MN most riders do not wear helmets - It appears most GL riders do wear helmets - We must have something worth protecting.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Twenty five years ago I got knocked off a snowmobile sliding sideways one ice when it ran into a dirt shore. Traveling very slow when it slid into the dirt I wasn't worried.

When I landed first on the side of my head on frozen bare gound I was very surprised at the amount of pain I had.

I have not ridden either a sled or a bike with out a helmet since.

Each of us has to make our own decision in states without helmet laws, but I think a small demonstration like the one I accidently had would convince most people to wear them.

:rat: Bake

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I have not notice very many GL riders without them. I live in IN. and there is no helmet law and even then it seems most of them use them. I have a colledtion of vintage Hondas and I never even take one out and check it out without putting on my helmet. I even live on a dead end street where there is not much traffic.

One thing I have noticed is how many more Harley riders in my area are using helmets. I think this is attributed to the fact they are not from the old school of Harley riders........

Ross :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
ARIZONA’S SECRET HELMET LAW

Living in Arizona we do not have a Helmet Law on the books (for adult riders) HOWEVER..... you might find this article interesting as it may well apply to you in your state as well.

ARIZONA’S SECRET HELMET LAW
Since 1988 Arizona has had a helmet law, which affects every motorcyclist in the state. The result of not wearing a helmet in Arizona can be far more disastrous than a traffic ticket.

In Arizona if your head is injured in an accident and it can be proven that a helmet would probably have reduced or prevented the injury you may be prevented from receiving any money from the other driver even though he caused the accident.

This law is not in any statute but was a court decision. It has not been widely reported in the papers and few motorcyclists are aware that not wearing a helmet may result in their not being able to collect any money for serious head injury.

As a former judge and trial lawyer I have seen motorcyclists with horrible brain damage who are unable to get the money they need for their medical bills and family because they didn’t wear a helmet.

It is common knowledge that juries do not like motorcyclists who don’t wear helmets and punish bikers by giving them less money for injuries even though the injuries were to their legs or arms and a helmet wouldn’t have made any difference.

This is obviously unfair but it is a fact. Your decision to not wear a helmet may prevent you from getting money from the other driver’s insurance on your insurance.

J. Russell Brown Jr. is a trial lawyer and motorcyclist; he founded BAM Breakdown and Legal Assistance for Motorcyclists 1-800-4-BIKERS in 1980.

Terry H. Pillinger is a former judge, trial lawyer and motorcyclist who has been working with J. Russell Brown Jr. and his law firm for over 17 years.

If you are involved in an accident you need an experienced lawyer who rides, contact Russ Brown and his motorcycle lawyers at 1-800-4-BIKERS.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Helmets

Kentucky law does not require me to wear a helmet. And once in a while I will run to the store w/o one. I know better, just once in a while I have a lapse in common sense. Luckily I have never put my head on the ground as a result of dropping a motorsickle. However............Back in my younger and dumber days I have had a fist or two laid up side my head and I can tell you that is painful, even for a drunken sailor.
:coffee1:
Jerry

·
Registered
26 Posts
Helmet Yes? / No?

Wow, living in Yuma I didn't know about the "SECRET HELMET LAW"...
In some ways it does make sense.
I for one learned my lesson the hard way. Was riding without a helmet but had it on the back of the bike...makes a lot of sense doesn't it... :oops:
Well it started to rain so I put the helmet on to keep the rain off my face. Next thing I knew, the bike was on it's side and I had a really bad headache. Took the helmet off and it actually had rocks imbeded in it... :shock:
Needless to say, I don't ride without one anymore.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I go by the rule

to dress for the crash , not for the ride. Its not a matter of IF you will crash, its a matter of WHEN :wink: so you may as well be dressed for it when it happens.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
When I started riding in the early 60's it was extremely rare to see anyone wearing a helmet, in the late 60's there was a helmet law for riders under 21, but I was over 21 and an experienced rider, I didn't think I needed a helmet. In 1969 I bought a new Honda CB350, when it had about 500 miles on it I was hit head on by a drunk driving a full size Chevy Impala, I went completely over the car and landed in the street, my right shoulder took the brunt of the impact, I only had a small bump on my head. I was lucky and not seriously injured, but as I thought about it later I realized just how close I came to being killed or suffering brain damage, just a slight difference in the angle when I impacted the pavement made the difference between life and death, or a devastating injury to the brain. I was back riding in a week or so, I still had stitches from the accident, but I was wearing a helmet, and have ever since.

To illustrate how vulnerable the head is to injury, recently a bicyclist was killed near here, he was riding down the road and fell off his bicycle, no helmet and he died of a head injury. I don't have personal knowledge, but I have heard stories of people being killed by falling over at a stop sign or traffic signal, and certainly falling over and your head hitting a curb could do that.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Helmet Laws

I realize this topic is without a doubt one of the most controversial of many many areas within the motorcycling world, but to me it's not even a consideration. I find it unimaginable that anyone would seriously or otherwise consider driving or riding on a motorcycle without a "good" helmet. No one that was ever seriously injured or killed ever expected to have an accident, but the reality is they happen to both good and bad drivers and for wide range of reasons, so why would anyone not want reasonable protection for the unexpected. This is definitely one area I would never want to say, "oh I wish I would have", as it's unlikely I would get to ask or answer that question.

I'm sorry guys (and gals) that may feel differently, but this is a no brainer from all respects, whether your state mandates it or not there really is only one answer to this question regardless of any other reason(s) one might feel a need to justify not wearing one.

DaleC

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
New York is a "Helmet" state. However it would not make a difference to me if it was not. After our serious accident in June 96, I became a first hand believer in what a quality helmet will do.

We are surrounded by CT and PA that are helmet optional states. I wear mine even then. Lots of the guys I ride with, stop as we cross the border and tie the helmets to their bikes or carry them on their arms. They get no crap out of me. All of life is a matter of choice, especially when a clear choice is given.

May God bless all riders!

Bulldog

·
Registered
218 Posts
Never gave it much thought as most of my adult life was spent in the military where wearing a helmet was a must, both on and off base. Being in a motorcycle accident without wearing a helmet, regardless of the local law, brought unwanted consequences.

After retiring from the military, we recently experienced our first motorcycle accident. All I can say is thank God we were not only wearing helmets, but that the helmets were full-face. The damage to the helmets clearing show that without them, neither my wife or I would be here. Because they were full-face, the only facial injury encountered was my wife biting her lip.

We never went the full-face route in over 30 years of riding, but now we'll never wear anything else.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Helmet Use

I live in ah mandatory helmet state. Th first thing i do when crossin th bridge into AR is stop somewhere & take my helmet off ! I really like th feelin of ridin bare-headed. No sermons please. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Not only do I wear a full-face helmet – I also always wear gloves, boots, and jacket with armor. For me, its none of my business what anyone else wants to do – just keep your hands out of my wallet if you “crash and burn” without taking the precautions easily obtainable.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Helmets

I never wore one, for 20 years. When I got the Wing I bought a HJC 3/4 helmet which finally cured the two problems I had with helmets: it does not cut off my peripheral vision and it does not mess with my hearing.

I've kept myself out of too many possible accidents by having all my senses un-impared. Now that I've found a helmet which doesn't mess up my sensory input, I've run out of excuses and wear it (almost) regularly.

There are times, however, where I just want to feel the wind in my hair.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Helmets Yes or No

:blw1:
:banghead:
My wife and I have been riding for about five years now and since we had started we had decided to wear helmets no matter where we went. In the begining we rode a Harley and most of our friends did not wear helmets which eventually helped us to change our way of thinking. Indiana does not have a Helmet Law at the present time. We do abide by the helmet laws in the states that have them. We agree that helmets do save lives but they are hot, heavy and something else to have to lock up when your traveling. Maybe someday all states will have a helmet law or maybe if the insurance companies were to penalize people for not wearing them if they are involved in an accident, people would choose to wear them. I am all for freedom of choice but just like seat belt laws are mandatory maybe helmets should be too.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I to am from NY, a manditory helmet state. When me and TBB went to Laconia NH (that was our first trip there) I tried riding without a helmet, it just felt to wierd. I stopped and put my helmet on :D I have riden with a helmet all my life, so riding w/o one just FEELS wrong.

If you chose to ride w/o a helmet, thats your business, I'm not going to say a thing,

·
Registered
53 Posts
I always wear a helmet and will not ride with someone that doesn't wear one. It is their business to not wear a helmet but I hate to spend the time searching for brain parts after they crash Generally not a lot to pick up since they had so little to start with. There were two riders killed over the summer stopped at a stop light and hit from behind. Both would have walked away with a lid.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
skudrunner said:
I always wear a helmet and will not ride with someone that doesn't wear one. It is their business to not wear a helmet but I hate to spend the time searching for brain parts after they crash Generally not a lot to pick up since they had so little to start with. There were two riders killed over the summer stopped at a stop light and hit from behind. Both would have walked away with a lid.
No sermons from me either. But I was struck from behind, flew about 18 feet up in the air and landed on my head. Needless to say, my helmet saved my life. I won't ride without one. Ever.

John in Vegas

1 - 20 of 69 Posts